Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CraveNoir

20 elite Indonesian cops work their way up a 30 floor drug factory controlled by a crime lord who's monitoring events on cctv. Carnage ensues. This looks looks like fun.

The Raid

CYCLOPZ

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 September, 2011, 10:45:09 AM
20 elite Indonesian cops work their way up a 30 floor drug factory controlled by a crime lord who's monitoring events on cctv. Carnage ensues. This looks looks like fun.

The Raid

Yeah I caught that trailer. It looks very Elite Squad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb-rUfBTQ1g

The director of which I think is doing the new Robocop. I think maybe the producers of Dredd may have seen Elite Squad too, which could have influenced the direction they're going with the movie.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: CraveNoir on 12 September, 2011, 10:45:09 AM

The Raid
Hmmmmm, coincidences happen but has someone been a bit naughty here.I remember reading about how Tarantino got the plot for Reservour Dogs from some Hong Kong flick -well at the end of the day everybody borrows ideas don't they

COMMANDO FORCES

CraveNoir you really should look at the movie and tv thread once in a while, as you'd see that was mentioned a few days ago  :o

JOE SOAP

I don't see why either camp should feel the need to rip off either side especially when both where in production round about the same time.

Having said that Attack the Block has beaten them to the use of the same conceptual setting.

CraveNoir

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 12 September, 2011, 05:35:50 PM
CraveNoir you really should look at the movie and tv thread once in a while, as you'd see that was mentioned a few days ago  :o

:) Normally I do a search, but it's disabled!  :-[

SmallBlueThing

Bah, that's nothing. I remember an old stallone film from around 1995, of which this 'dredd' is CLEARLY a rip off.

SBT

Goaty

I know it odd subject to bring up in this topic, as I am on break in Newquay all week enjoy the sun and strong winds!
As it was 8 hours train to there last Sunday, I was watch dvds, one is Star Trek (still brilliant film!) which I hadnt see in while. And can see that Karl Urban as McCoy, as watch him talks and acting with imagine the Judge Helmet on him, that a Dredd there! Looking forward to Dredd in a year!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Goaty on 13 September, 2011, 02:22:33 PMAnd can see that Karl Urban as McCoy, as watch him talks and acting with imagine the Judge Helmet on him, that a Dredd there! Looking forward to Dredd in a year!

True, it's possible, he does have Dredd-traits but we'll have to wait and see...

Glenn Broadway

Re: The Raid - I read the comment from The Sherman Kid but I'm a bit confused about who might have been naughty. The Raid looks good - is the suggestion that it is copying something, or that Dredd is copying it or something?

Thanks, Glenn.

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: Glenn Broadway on 15 September, 2011, 12:12:49 PM
Re: The Raid - I read the comment from The Sherman Kid but I'm a bit confused about who might have been naughty. The Raid looks good - is the suggestion that it is copying something, or that Dredd is copying it or something?

Thanks, Glenn.
I have read the Dredd script I have seen the Raid trailer -I will say no more.

MarsHottentot

Scale will be key here!  Besides, if The Raid does well (which seems to be a forgone conclusion) and Dredd feels anything like it that will end up as a part of the critical short hand; certainly lazy, but ultimately beneficial.  As to whether or not they are really that much alike, I doubt it - the sensibility is very different; I don't expect to see much in the way of street martial arts in Dredd.
"I'm Asking You...BEGGING You-My Flesh, My Blood... It's Not Too Late!  Fix It Joe! You - You And Rico - You Can Do It..." - Judge Fargo

MR. ELIMINATOR

I was watching Death Wish 3 the other day (awesome film) and it got me thinking, I think Dredd would quite suite the 70s action Grindhouse feel. It could justify having countless instalments too!

It was this scene that really did it for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFY5xMih3fo

weehawk

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 29 September, 2011, 05:57:55 AM
I was watching Death Wish 3 the other day (awesome film) and it got me thinking, I think Dredd would quite suite the 70s action Grindhouse feel. It could justify having countless instalments too!

Death Race 2000 comes to mind for that. ;)  John Carpenter's Assault On Precinct 13 does too.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Have a look at the car from the new Total Recall Film. The United Federation of Britain? Great we're the bad guys in Cinema again! Have to admit Dredd's trucks aren't as cool looking as this but they are different Films after all.

http://youtu.be/SBQmBY_ZF3c
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla