Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

SFX put it in their 'Sci-Fi TV & Film Highlights For 2012'

HERE!

That is all  :-X

Danbo

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

Psidude

vzzbux

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 01 January, 2012, 08:03:50 PM

HERE!

I thought this was just a one man campain not the general concensus.
Quotewith fans hating the costumes

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Greg M.

Quote from: vzzbux on 01 January, 2012, 09:06:16 PM
I thought this was just a one man campain not the general concensus.
Quotewith fans hating the costumes

Yeah, the 'one man campaign' thing was very much what the article made me think of. Whilst some on the board like the outfit and some don't, in no way do I get the impression that reaction has on average been overly negative. More cautiously optimistic in general.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 01 January, 2012, 04:41:38 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 01 January, 2012, 03:31:01 PM
Why does that matter?

Because Dredd simply isn't registering enough.When films like the  Abraham Lincoln :Vampire Hunter are getting more press you know something isn't right.I've seen lots of films without watching ANY trailer but simply because of what I saw or read ,even months before.

Movies need HYPE -simples

These things -especially lists on websites are highly subjective and editorialised, focus can change within days and weeks, it's a very, very fickle industry, especially on the web -simple enough?

JOE SOAP

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 01 January, 2012, 07:49:47 PMDo need to raise the profile soon though,AICN left it off their 'movies to look forward to in 2012' list,everything but the kitchen sink was on but Dredd.

Really, they left out quite a bit: Wrath of the Titans, MiB3, John Carter, Dredd, Total recall, Jack the Giant Killer, Dark Shadows, Expendables 2, Ghost Rider 2, the Hunger Games to name a few?

As I said these are very subjective lists created by individuals with their own agendas/interests. If they aren't familiar yet or aren't fans of Dredd they won't bother including it in their 'hope list'. We shouldn't compare what one fan on a film website wants to see with what ultimately is considered a success.

A comparison film, genre-wise, is Total Recall, a remake/reboot that has had very little coverage; not a trailer nor even a teaser yet but only a place-holder webpage: http://www.totalrecall-movie.com. It's release date is nearly 2 months before Dredd and has a $200 million dollar budget, so will it fail beacause they haven't fully promoted/teased it yet? No, cos in the end none of us know how these things pan out. It's a black-art and if you don't hit the right notes at the right time -a lottery not a science- no amount of marketing will save a bad film from being rejected.

Dredd has a certain appeal to a certain audience, it isn't broad like Avatar or Dark Knight, films which can bludgeon people with massively sponsored 3D/IMAX marketing and the promise of galactic/global eye-candy or even the global-oestrogen-synchronicity of Sex & the City. If Dredd's a success it'll be down to luck, tight-punches and an appreciative audience. It has 9 months to do it. If it's great, shite or mediocre we'll know when it's time to know.

Goaty

HERE!

Brilliant! But it's said;

Gotta admit, I'm sticking my neck out with this choice. Certainly the internet buzz so far has been more negative than positive, with fans hating the costumes and suspicious of the idea that it's a small-scale "day-in-the-life"-style story. The news that the director, Pete Travis, parted company with the project during post production didn't help (though the split was amicable, apparently). But I still believe this might turn out to surprise us all. Sctrptwriter Alex Garland has a very good pedigree (28 Days Later, Sunshine) and the intention seems to be to make an intense, gritty, claustrophobic, dark sci-fi thriller rather than a bloated, gaudy blockbuster, and to me that feels a better fit for the character. Plus, the cinematographer, Anthony Dod Mantle, reckons, "If we get it right, it will be a cross between Blade Runner and Clockwork Orange." Now, that's a good ambition to strive for.

Wish they would check in 2000AD Forum, not other different forums where there is negatives!

Steve Green

I'm not particularly fussed over a trailer yet, although a teaser would be nice.

I do wish they'd get a few more photos out there, it's a bit weird that if you go to this link

http://www.sfx.co.uk/tag/dredd/, they're using Planet Replicas pics for a couple of stories...

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/10/11/dredd-producer-oficially-refutes-director-was-sacked/#comment-window

Steve Green

Quote from: Goaty on 01 January, 2012, 10:07:14 PM

HERE!

Brilliant! But it's said;

Gotta admit, I'm sticking my neck out with this choice. Certainly the internet buzz so far has been more negative than positive, with fans hating the costumes and suspicious of the idea that it's a small-scale "day-in-the-life"-style story. The news that the director, Pete Travis, parted company with the project during post production didn't help (though the split was amicable, apparently). But I still believe this might turn out to surprise us all. Sctrptwriter Alex Garland has a very good pedigree (28 Days Later, Sunshine) and the intention seems to be to make an intense, gritty, claustrophobic, dark sci-fi thriller rather than a bloated, gaudy blockbuster, and to me that feels a better fit for the character. Plus, the cinematographer, Anthony Dod Mantle, reckons, "If we get it right, it will be a cross between Blade Runner and Clockwork Orange." Now, that's a good ambition to strive for.

Wish they would check in 2000AD Forum, not other different forums where there is negatives!

It is mainly just one notable person under various pseudonyms banging on about the uniform, the actor, the script, the fucking catering...

Most of the other gripes have purely been about the size of the helmet, rather than the costume overall.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 January, 2012, 10:10:28 PMIt is mainly just one notable person under various pseudonyms banging on about the uniform, the actor, the script, the fucking catering...

This is the point, you can't trust film-nerds with gripes who project their bias as the opinion of all fans.

Steve Green

You could probably have finished that sentence after nerds...

JOE SOAP

Danbo

Because nerds don't comment on comic book websites?
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

JOE SOAP

as all ready said it's a matter of trust and you really can't.