Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Sherman Kid on 19 January, 2012, 11:00:40 PM
Thanks for that, very interesting.The only thing that troubled me was when John said he envied the budget of the 95' Dredd movie which echoed a similar comment he made a couple of months ago.Perhaps what he didnt actually 'see' on set is made up by state-of-the-art effects ,which these days do have the ability to blow you away.Heres hoping.

He's seen close to the final cut; the FX, as far as I know, were more or less completed last October and pick-ups shot soon after that. Why wouldn't he envy the earlier budget?

The Sherman Kid

Just checked -they made THAT for $70 mill  :-[Well as I live and breath, I didnt know (or even imagine) it was that high.

radiator

Wasn't it the La Times that was responsible for spreading the 'creative differences' rumour/story?

JOE SOAP

Stallone took a guestimate of $10-20 million of that budget -his fee at the time- which was actually over $90 million. Who knows how much Versace and the other over-paid studio honchos took, certainly more than Wagner & Ezquerra.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge_Dredd_(film)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 19 January, 2012, 11:57:47 PM
Wasn't it the La Times that was responsible for spreading the 'creative differences' rumour/story?

They're two different blogs under the LA Times -one for films general, other more nerd orientated- I wouldn't say they know what the other's doing half the time. Not that it would matter, news is news.

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 January, 2012, 12:03:07 AM
Stallone took a guestimate of $10-20 million of that budget -his fee at the time- which was actually over $90 million. Who knows how much Versace and the other over-paid studio honchos took, certainly more than Wagner & Ezquerra.

I hate to correct anyone here, but the 1995 movie cost just over $80m, with Stallone pocketing $15m of that himself (an obscenity of a fee), I know this because someone actually asked Danny Cannon during an interview at the time of it's release - I remember it well - how much it cost, and he plainly stated "a little over $80m", or words to that effect, and if you go to the Variety  magazine website and type in 'Judge Dredd', they'll pull up a vintage article on the film that plainly states the film has a budget of $65m (with Sly's mega-salary making up the difference), but I'll bet the upcoming new movie will look just as epic on a smaller budget, digital effects technology are night-and-day both more advanced and affordable than those available in 1994/5...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Beaky Smoochies

... here's the link for anyone interested - http://www.variety.com/article/VR117731 - it says an early '94 start but that probably means actual set construction rather than beginning of production, the movie didn't actually start filming until that July...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Gonk

How much did it gross at the box office? Anyone....?
coming at a cinema near you soon

Teivion

http://wwwl.the-numbers.com/movies/1995/0JDDR.php

Theatrical Performance
Domestic Box Office    $34,687,912
International Box Office    $78,800,000
Worldwide Box Office    $113,487,912

Teivion

Quote from: Teivion on 20 January, 2012, 01:00:12 PM

Theatrical Performance

Forgot to say thats not including DVD sales, which I would imagine were pretty good too.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Teivion on 20 January, 2012, 01:08:17 PM
Quote from: Teivion on 20 January, 2012, 01:00:12 PM

Theatrical Performance

Forgot to say thats not including DVD sales, which I would imagine were pretty good too.

Those are actually considered pathetic figures. A film of this budget is expected to make at the very least 2-3 times what it cost to make to be considered moderately successful or worthwhile, a great success would be multiple times that as in district 9:

Budget: $30 million
Box office: $210,816,205

and Avatar being a rare phenomenon:

Budget: $237 million

Box office: $2,782,275,172

Breaking even is more or less seen as a waste of effort and lost oppurtunity. It'll never get you a sequel.

Danbo

Quote from: Goaty on 19 January, 2012, 07:55:44 PM
Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 19 January, 2012, 05:21:26 PM
Sauchieboy i think, began with an S.Mods were quite understanding at first but soon got sick.

Sorry I am confused?
He (Dreddhead) was implying Sauchieboy(think that was the name) was John Wagner untill the mods stepped in...

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

radiator

As I understand it, these days the big studios make most of their money from the US opening weekend.

They don't get as big a cut of the takings from subsequent showings and especially the international box office - that's why a film like The Golden Compass - which did poorly in the US but was a hit internationally - is considered a failure and wasn't granted a sequel.

Not sure how this stacks up for Dredd, with it being an independent UK/Indian-financed production (Lionsgate are only the US distributor IIRC).

With the best will in the world - and believe me I really, really want it to succeed - I just can't imagine Dredd taking the $200m+ needed to guarantee a franchise, even if it gets strong reviews/word of mouth.

radiator

Also worth noting that studios generally don't include marketing costs when citing a production budget for a movie - and the advertising and promotion can cost over half the film's budget again.

PreacherCain

With product placement, overseas distribution rights, merchandising and all that other businness-ey stuff, don't a lot of films recoup a substantial bit of money before they even hit theaters nowadays? Or are those just the really big films like Green Lantern, which can fool people into thinking it's going to be a hit well in advance of people seeing it and realising it's an absolute travesty?

Lionsgate generally release kind of middle-tier genre stuff. I hope Dredd does well enough to warrant a sequel though I worry that the 3D thing is going to go against it by the time it's released. Audiences are sick of 3D and (rightfully) don't want want to pay extra for such a gimmick. I can't stand it either and only choose the regular option but unfortunately sometimes there is no choice. In which case I go see something else  :D

I'll suffer through it for Dredd if I have to.