Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teivion

"So have DNA 'overcooked it' and had to go back and do reshoots to tone down the violence? a '15' rated film in the UK is preferable to an 18. I mean, i really don't think we are going to see a PG13 Dredd film, seriously, but pulling it back to a 15 may be thier aim."

Id rather hear they went for shooting in rain macs to catch the blood spatter than see everyone survives a shoot out in some silly 80's 'A-Team' show.

Its quite common for the gore to be trimmed down for the censors.

Teivion

Quote from: Teivion on 02 February, 2012, 04:58:31 PM
"So have DNA 'overcooked it' and had to go back and do reshoots to tone down the violence? a '15' rated film in the UK is preferable to an 18. I mean, i really don't think we are going to see a PG13 Dredd film, seriously, but pulling it back to a 15 may be thier aim."

Id rather hear they went for shooting in rain macs to catch the blood spatter than see everyone survives a shoot out in some silly 80's 'A-Team' show.

Its quite common for the gore to be trimmed down for the censors.

'LIKE IN' some silly 80's A-Team Show. Curse the lack of edit button.

CYCLOPZ

By the way having never seen the film and even at this early stage I think a big enough noise should be made about this to show there is a demand so we do eventually get to see an unrated version.

I like a well told story as much as the next man and Dredd is Not all about violence,  I think Dod Mantle did mention that the violence was almost a parody on violent films, but  obviously somebody upstairs thinks that the audience is too dumb to get this.

JOE SOAP

I don't think parody may be the right word. Heightened might be better to make a point.

radiator

Hmm, I'll take that rumour with a huge dose of salt.

Since day one DNA have been very frank that they were making a dark, violent film. For them to do a U Turn so late in the day - even to lock out the director solely for this reason - seems extremely unlikely to me.

Doubt very much that this - if true - would necessitate reshoots - surely they could have just cut/edited the offending material? And exactly how far do you have to go these days to get an 18? My understanding was that only in severe cases - aggressive sexual violence say - would you get a guaranteed 18/NC-17 certificate. I was expecting something on the level of District 9 or Kick-Ass (both a 15 rating in the UK) - they're pretty full-on - people exploding and on fire, limbs chopped off etc etc.

QuoteId rather hear they went for shooting in rain macs to catch the blood spatter than see everyone survives a shoot out in some silly 80's 'A-Team' show.

I agree - I feel a little uncomfortable with bloodless film violence (like the sort we got in Inception and The Dark Knight) - it's a little irresponsible on the filmmakers part to revel in violence and not portray the true consequences - it smacks a little of having their cake and eating it.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 02 February, 2012, 05:12:08 PM
Doubt very much that this - if true - would necessitate reshoots - surely they could have just cut/edited the offending material?

Not necessarily, depends on how the scenes were directed, the violence may have been hard to cut around. With 3D there's generally less cuts in scenes. Cutting scenes, dimisihing them may have made them unusable or left gaps in pacing depending on their nature. We can never know.

Things can change when seen iin the cold light of day.

Steve Green

Yeah, you would have to go some... Shaun of the Dead has a character being torn apart and that still only got a 15.

I'm guessing they're dealing with something along the lines of the last Rambo in the level of violence, and I did wonder why they'd gone that far with the violence when it wasn't strictly necessary for a Dredd story.

I wonder if it's coming from IMGlobal and DNA are getting cold feet over the direction they were taking...

radiator

It could be that the producers/financiers got spooked when Watchmen and Kick-Ass - perhaps the two highest-profile overtly violent comic book adaptations - didn't do too well at the box office.

QuoteI'm guessing they're dealing with something along the lines of the last Rambo in the level of violence, and I did wonder why they'd gone that far with the violence when it wasn't strictly necessary for a Dredd story.

Yeah - they may have been scuppered by their efforts to distance themselves form the Stallone Dredd movie by going too far in the other direction.

I don't really think of Dredd as an especially violent comic myself, but perhaps I've just been reading it so long that I've become desensitised to the base level violence and carefree attitude to bodycounts that's always been a constant pretty much since it began.

radiator

QuoteI wonder if it's coming from IMGlobal and DNA are getting cold feet over the direction they were taking...

Dig at Pete Travis?  ;)

Steve Green

Slip of the tongue...

I don't really think of Dredd being gratuitously violent as a default, just seems to depend more on the artist - I wonder if more of the satire of the strip might have helped with a rating because of violence...

IAMTHESYSTEM

If this rumour turns out to be true won't it affect the release date of the Film? They've scheduled it for Autumn but frankly I'm thinking early next year now :(.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

radiator

QuoteIf this rumour turns out to be true won't it affect the release date of the Film?

No - it's already edited and almost complete. It may, however, explain the initial delay - by the time Dredd comes out it will have been nearly four years since the original announcement and commencement of preproduction.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 02 February, 2012, 07:14:23 PM
If this rumour turns out to be true won't it affect the release date of the Film? They've scheduled it for Autumn but frankly I'm thinking early next year now :(.

Why? These concerns seem to be old ones.

Gonk

Quote from: Lee Bates on 02 February, 2012, 03:44:01 PM
Quote from: wonkychop on 02 February, 2012, 03:35:43 PM
Yes radiator, the medium of film is completely different to the comic.  A huge star like Urban is going to raise Dredd's profile and if this means deviating from the comic version Dredd in order to reach a wider audience, it's all for the good and I'm willing to swallow it. It's just that Stallone's Dredd tried this and went too far.

Karl Urban isn't a 'huge star'. I don't think I've ever met anyone who knows who he is by name. Even prompting people with "You know, he was McCoy in the new Star Trek film..." is met with blank stares.

If he took his helmet off momentarily and it wasn't a big deal and he kept it on for most of the film, I'd be happy. The fact that he won't be taking it off is brilliant.

It depends on your criteria for judging I suppose, this is a Hollywood film we're talking about with millions to spend on promotion, and not some unknown film company with jack shit to promote their film.  One thing is for sure, it won't be anything like the last, so that is a reason for us to be cheerful.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Bat King

Crickey.  Forum seems to be going into overdrive with panic and counter panic... (OK I'm exagerating some of you are not panicking so much)

I'm quite glad we haven't been flooded in hype like we were with the Stallone debacle.

That said, I'd like a few more teasers, but no spoilers.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex