Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE SOAP

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 05 February, 2012, 02:01:00 AMWhat happened with Hellboy then, never heard of any problems there...?
Expected release date and a massive article in one of the UK monthlies, and then the UK release date was put pack six months. So not quite the same thing (since the US release of Hellboy remained intact) but in this country it has the same overall result (in the sense of an 'early' major feature that the magazine would not and could not later repeat).

The thing is, I don't know how much of this matters as far as Dredd is concerned. As long as we see a robust and relevant marketing campaign in the few months prior to the release, nothing else really matters on that score.

Steve Green

Just spike the popcorn with slomo and make it last a frame...

dracula1

My concern is that a campaign promoting Dredd to late on will get washed away in the wake of the big summer blockbusters.  Better to start early. As for the Super Bowl slot lets have a whip round on the forum to get some cash.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: dracula1 on 05 February, 2012, 03:02:09 PM
My concern is that a campaign promoting Dredd to late on will get washed away in the wake of the big summer blockbusters.  Better to start early.

...but the converse can be true also, a campaign started before those films come out will be trounced even more by the intense marketing of said bigger films so a more focused campaign afterwards -or attached to those films- is really more appropriate.

dracula1

That's also true Monsieur Soap, looks like it's a rock and a hard place scenario for the studio.

Bat King

Maybe, just maybe, the fact the film makers do this for a living - they might know what they are doing.  Just a thought.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Steve Green

This argument does crop up occasionally...

It doesn't really mean much one way or the other.

There are plenty of people who do something for a living who are not particularly good at it, or fuck up spectactularly.

This isn't aimed at the film-makers, just that particular rationale...

Bat King

That is why I put a few safeguarding 'maybes' I have known lots of people that are useless at what I do...
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

dracula1

In IM Global we trust.  What do we know anyway we're only the paying public.  :P

Bat King

There's the spirit... almost... ;)
Blog

Twitter
@chiropterarex

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Bat King on 05 February, 2012, 03:48:05 PM
Maybe, just maybe, the fact the film makers do this for a living - they might know what they are doing.  Just a thought.
Quite. Dredd is being made by people who have a lot of experience in working with relatively unknown properties and yet—more often than not—ending up with films that perform quite well at the box office. It's worth noting that whatever they do, Dredd will be somewhat drowned out by the marketing hundreds of millions from massive productions. That's why the timing will be key, and I'd sooner see a blitz or steady campaign nearer the time than money wasted now on marketing that people will forget.

JOE SOAP

Funny why people have a hard time accepting this idea. Their default mode then being: 'the film is shite'.

Gonk

That seems to be the problem. Folks want to make their judgements about the film before it's been watched by anybody. "If I could see a clip then I can see how rubbish it is" ...seems to be the mind set towards the film at the moment.
coming at a cinema near you soon

Michaelvk

Like 99.999999999% of the twats who're self proclaimed experts on the IMDB boards? The "This movie sux just cuz, lolz" brigade.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..