Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I long ago made peace with the fact that this wouldn't be my ideal Dredd movie and it would likely be a fairly loose adaptation of the comic, but even I was a little taken aback at seeing that chase footage. I had assumed the reasoning for setting much of the film in a single location was so that we would only get to see glimpses of the amazing cityscape, and more use would be made of the futuristic setting in any potential (higher budget) sequels, but it looks like it really won't look very sci-fi or fantastical at all. As others have said i was expecting at least another couple of layers of detail. Looks more Beggar City than Mega City.

As for it looking 'cheap', it's too early to tell, but it's fair to say that it most definitely WOULD look cheap had the filmmakers tried to put a literal representation of MC1 up on screen on the budget they had. My hope is that by having modest ambitions of what could be achieved, the finished film will look thoroughly polished and accomplished, and so slick that it will instantly silence the moaners. I still think its going to be a really solid movie.

JOE SOAP

It would take more time, work and money to replace/rotoscope the van or any other vehicles for a whole chase scene in post than to just mock-up base futurist versions for the shoot. There'll be variant levels of tech and architecture in this film, a hodge-podge post war setting.

As Steve said: it is what it is. Get used to it. There'll be more FX layers to the shots but the basic look will be of the same tone. I'm hoping it'll be very a atmospheric and consistent look with variant levels of tech and architecture in this film, a hodge-podge post war setting, but it won't be Mo-Pads and flying Weather Stations at least not in this sector of the city.

Spaceghost

If SBT has no interest in this film and has no intention of going to see it, why the ruddy hell is he commenting on this thread and watching half finished footage of it? If I wasn't interested in it I certainly wouldn't be following all these links to catch little glimpses of it.

I like SBT but I get the distinct feeling sometimes that he purposely adopts the most contrary, controversial opinion possible and then revels in the resulting furore. I'm sure he wouldn't agree with me.

I, for one, think the battered, near future look is fantastic. To be honest, there are so many contradictory elements that make very little sense in the comic version that we fans just gloss over, it just couldn't possible be taken seriously on screen. I'm still very excited.

I bet SBT will go see it too.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

There's always the chance that things could be pushed a bit more sci fi in any hypothetical sequels. Just look at Batman Begins and The Dark Knight - starkly different films in a visual sense - BB Gotham looks nothing at all like TDK Gotham, but it somehow works.

Danbo

Looks like the footage is being pulled.
Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: DanboJohnJ on 12 February, 2012, 02:42:13 PM
Looks like the footage is being pulled.

Not surprised, I hope that bloke just gets a rap on the knuckles.

Danbo

The vids are gone but the gifs remain for now.

Danbo

Dreddheads remix is still up....lawyers paying him a visit in 3....2....1

The Sherman Kid

Got to say the clip with the 'van chase' was immensely disappointing.Having already seen photos of the Justice Dept vehicles and the Lawmaster, I did fear the worse, but adding this old van to the mix too has me worried.This is not 1984, this is meant to be Dredd, we are supposed to see at least some high-tech stuff ,but it feels very lacking at the moment.How can a battered old van out run a Lawmaster, as we know it, unless the terms have changed drastically.
I cant remember the number of sci-fi films I've seen where the vehicles used really add substance and excitement to the film.The vehicles shown so far sadly leave me stone cold.
I also agree with Radiator, hoping to see some glimpses of a high-tech city, for that is looking unlikely as things currently stand.
The uniforms great, cast great, lot of top people on the project and I will see the finished product at least ten times whether it is good or not in the hope of another being made -BUT I really hope there is enough of Dredds world there for it to be worth it.

Goaty

Er... how long was that "van chase" footage? Few secs? And some of gives your views of the film based on the unfinished FX footage! Oh take a chill pill.

There no Official yet.

NSFTM

The van argument... vans haven't  really evolved really.. and wheels are a pretty effective way.of moving around .. although  i don't  think a world that is emerging from a nuclear holocaust the practical easy design.

My only concern is that the footage is quite dark..the 3D will probably make it darker

Also in response to why  the exclusive appearing on a Spanish fan site is probably because they would get a more positive  response than posting it  on here.
It Could Be That The Sole Purpose Of Your Life Is To Serve As A Warning To Others

darnmarr

As the shot came from an FX showreel, I think it's likely that what were seeing is the finished product. The background buildings and flyover have been already been added in: if there were going to be more skyscrapers it would make sense to put them in at the same time.

The original photos of the set and Justice Dept vehicles, combined with that 'crappy-old-van' clip, suggest that the art direction is committed to a 'third-world' vibe to the Big Meg. This is not the cluttered and crazily  teeming techno-hive that is described in the comics, ( and that was so well-realised in the opening of the Danny Cannon film ) but it does make sense in terms of a believable Justice Dept: it helps create the sense of a society that is not just a technological frog-leap ahead of ours, so much a society like ours might look as it plunges into a spiral of decay. This is, of course, a deviation from the world of Dredd we love and know but it makes much better sense of the Judge system when you think about it: Desperate times calling for desperate measures and all that.

IAMTHESYSTEM

The cars and vehicles are not going to look futuristic in the sense of Blade runner etc but more like RoboCop which had ordinary looking vehicles despite being set in a Future Detroit. I can live with that.

We're used to the strip being full of fantastical designs like Mo-Pads but these would cost money even if designed using CGI computer only and DR3DD is a mid budget production. 

The Film seems to be set just after the first of the Mega Cities were built so perhaps no mile high skyscrapers either. As always we'll have to wait till something official turns up rather than the digi nuggets we've seen so far.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Gonk

So the new film version of Mega City One is going to vary in style from the teeming techno hive from the comics as much as the world of Torquemada in Nemesis Book1 differed from the one in Book9?
coming at a cinema near you soon

JOE SOAP

Quote from: darnmarr on 12 February, 2012, 03:38:16 PM
As the shot came from an FX showreel, I think it's likely that what were seeing is the finished product.

No, not really. It's a showreel of one compositor's work and that's all that can be shown. Not the finished image. Other work can be done to it before it reaches us.

Put simply and bluntly: [spoiler]Nowhere in the script is a date given to when it's set, only that the city exists within an irradiated wasteland. [/spoiler]