Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Still not arrived, I'm fuming!

Goaty

shaolin_monkey

Fucking hell. If I'd known all this great stuff was coming out October last year I'd never have blown all my savings on something as frivolous as a house. Being skint sucks!!!

Mardroid

I just ordered the cheaper one since I have the DVD and key ring* already. I'm tempted by the steelbook but as it seems to be just a change of cover...

Stoked for the badge! Means I'll have one of each type!

QuoteStill not arrived, I'm fuming!

Release date is 26th June... Don't worry chaps, it will fly by...

... oh. Wait. That's the cheaper version that I'm getting. The other is coming out 6th Feb 2017? Surely they mean 2016?

*Okay it's not exactly the same key chain but close enough.

Tiplodocus

Saw the sequel tonight and it's miles better than the original.

It's set in the Cursed Earth and doesn't feature Dredd but is about a Judge who took the long walk because of an in judicial liaison, but his child had been killed and he had abandoned the law until he gets caught up with some women escaping from a mutant warlord.

Strong female characters like Dredd.

Like the original,it's low tech. There are no robots or flying cars just beefed up contemporary vehicles.

I think this sequel also shows that the 18 certificate was a mistake. It is a 15 but still manages to be violent and packed with cool action (and not a bit of cliché bullet time in sight).

Highly recommended.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 May, 2015, 12:45:26 AM
I think this sequel also shows that the 18 certificate was a mistake. It is a 15 but still manages to be violent and packed with cool action (and not a bit of cliché bullet time in sight).

Highly recommended.

Both were R-rated in the US.

Tiplodocus

Well there's an R where you come home going "how was that even possible?" and an R where you come home going "that was gross. They skinned people alive".

One will generate better word of mouth than the other.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 23 May, 2015, 01:32:10 AM
Well there's an R where you come home going "how was that even possible?" and an R where you come home going "that was gross. They skinned people alive".

One will generate better word of mouth than the other.

Rather than any rating, the $200 million budget takes a lot of the cred for "how was that even possible?".

Tiplodocus

Oh indeed. I know there are lots of factors at play.

I thought John Wick also managed to make the violence look cool and different and without an "ick" factor. (Though that may also have had a $200m budget).

Anyway if I am ever stupid enough to buy a Euromillions lottery ticket and then lucky enough to win it on a £300m rollover week*, then this is the sort of template I would use for the third sequel.

* Of course not. Waste it on a movie? I would make sure my family were financially Ok first and then set up some ongoing charity projects including funding for addictions to gambling. Then maybe buy a full set of Prog, Megs and Case Files.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Only $20,million Budget for John Wick according to Box Office Mojo and it was an R rating like Dredd. Looks like it made it's money back so we might see more JW in the future. Must watch this at some point.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=johnwick.htm
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Richmond Clements

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 24 May, 2015, 12:53:52 PM
Only $20,million Budget for John Wick according to Box Office Mojo and it was an R rating like Dredd. Looks like it made it's money back so we might see more JW in the future. Must watch this at some point.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=johnwick.htm

A sequel has already been announced.

Tiplodocus

A Dredd sequel!  I knew it would happen!

hazy efc

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 24 May, 2015, 05:21:14 PM
A Dredd sequel!  I knew it would happen!
Finally it's about bloody time, I also heard a sequel to waterworld had been green lit. :lol:

Dredd Head

Dredd sequel, Yes please I could play a part in 2012 with how many times I've seen it. Great news though can't wait

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dredd Head on 25 May, 2015, 08:29:46 AM
Great news though can't wait

Just checking: you know that this is something of a running joke and there's there's no Dredd sequel, right?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.