Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

The movie Dredd also has the problem with image rights - DNA/IMG/whoever never seemed interested in doing any merch, not surprising considering it tanked at the box office.

Rebellion can do movie style stuff as long as it's coming via the comic adaptations - so if you wanted to have a figure with Karl Urban's face, that would need to be negotiated.

It's all a lot of hoops that bootleggers in Hong Kong don't have to worry their heads about. They also obviously don't pay a cut to anyone, so can make it cheaper.

Mardroid

Great looking figure! I've seen the 1/12 versions on the web. I didn't realise they were doing a larger version.

I don't condone the fact it's not not legit, but credit where it's due: the detail is amazing.

SIP

The art figures 1/6 Dredd is a number of years old now, though I know they have re released it relatively recently.

Mardroid

Quote from: Mardroid on 09 January, 2017, 04:49:18 PM
Great looking figure! I've seen the 1/12 versions on the web. I didn't realise they were doing a larger version.

I don't condone the fact it's not not legit, but credit where it's due: the detail is amazing.

Oops! I realise I posted a double negative there... so I do condone it then?  :-[ (I don't.)

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Steve Green on 09 January, 2017, 11:22:45 AM

Rebellion can do movie style stuff as long as it's coming via the comic adaptations - so if you wanted to have a figure with Karl Urban's face, that would need to be negotiated.

Hoping for a 1/12 Underbelly DREDD from Mez or 3A at some point.

Rogue Judge

Has anyone watched Dredd at home on a 3D TV? My brother recently purchased the Dredd 3D blueray and I am going to his buddies house to watch it in 3D with him this Friday! Im really looking forward to it as I have only seen it on regular DVD.

Also, its been over a year since I watched it so Im definitely overdue for a rewatch! Any parts of the film that really stand out in 3D? Im guessing mamas demise looks drokking brilliant.

shaolin_monkey

Yep  - I bought a 3D telly just to watch Dredd 3D on it.  The 3D in it is far better than watching the same film in the cinema.  For a start there's much less ghosting (ethereal double images), the picture is crisp, and there appears to be a greater depth of field. 

So you're in fopr a treat basically. 

Make sure you get the seat middle front though, as most 3D telly's don't work that well if you're viewing from too far to the left or right.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 January, 2017, 09:29:57 AM
For a start there's much less ghosting (ethereal double images), the picture is crisp, and there appears to be a greater depth of field.

I'm convinced that most cinemas don't know how to set up their 3D properly — at our local Cineworld, only the IMAX 3D showings are watchable. The handful of times I've gone to a 'normal' 3D showing, the ghosting has been noticeable to the point of headache-inducing. I saw Dredd on both kinds of screen and the difference was considerable.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Watch drug bust in 3D always awesome!

dweezil2

Yep  - I bought a 3D telly just to watch Dredd 3D on it.  The 3D in it is far better than watching the same film in the cinema.  For a start there's much less ghosting (ethereal double images), the picture is crisp, and there appears to be a greater depth of field. 

So you're in fopr a treat basically. 

Make sure you get the seat middle front though, as most 3D telly's don't work that well if you're viewing from too far to the left or right.

Strange, when I saw Dredd at the cinema at my local Cineworld, the presentation was superb.
The U.K home release, while watchable, leaves much to be desired, being overly grainy in parts with picture contrast far too high.

Still worth a watch, though.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

sheridan

Yep  - I bought a 3D telly just to watch Dredd 3D on it. 

That's dedication for you!

sheridan

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 January, 2017, 06:52:41 AM
Has anyone watched Dredd at home on a 3D TV? My brother recently purchased the Dredd 3D blueray and I am going to his buddies house to watch it in 3D with him this Friday! Im really looking forward to it as I have only seen it on regular DVD.

Also, its been over a year since I watched it so Im definitely overdue for a rewatch! Any parts of the film that really stand out in 3D? Im guessing mamas demise looks drokking brilliant.

The bits you'd expect - Slo-mo was made for 3d (though it was also great watching at a 2d cinema).

sheridan

Quote from: dweezil2 on 10 January, 2017, 12:23:12 PM
Strange, when I saw Dredd at the cinema at my local Cineworld, the presentation was superb.
The U.K home release, while watchable, leaves much to be desired, being overly grainy in parts with picture contrast far too high.

Still worth a watch, though.

I must have been lucky - I saw it in 3d at the Odeon on Tottenham Court Road and don't recall any issues with ghosting (I also saw it at the Peckhamplex, which was the only cinema I could find in the whole of London that showed it in 2d - more than explaining the lack of commercial success).

dweezil2

Quote from: sheridan on 10 January, 2017, 12:37:02 PM
Yep  - I bought a 3D telly just to watch Dredd 3D on it. 

That's dedication for you!

Me too!  :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack