Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 January, 2017, 06:52:41 AM
Any parts of the film that really stand out in 3D? Im guessing mamas demise looks drokking brilliant.

Nothing to do with the 3D (and yes Mama's death is pretty damn cool!) , but you can look out for forumites immortalised in graffiti - Goaty appears a couple of times scrawled on the walls, there's a billboard of Joe Soap's avatar behind Dredd's shoulder in the initial car chase scene, and Burdis gets a mention in the Justice Dept graphics at the beginning. ( I avoided the movie thread for about 18 months prior to release to avoid spoilers/detail fatigue but I'm gutted that I could have been in the movie if I'd contributed to those discussions!).

There are a few other background "easter eggs" for hardcore fans - the movie poster about Owen Krysler for example, the perp's jacket with DROKK on the back, or the murdered fattie's belliwheel.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 January, 2017, 05:28:57 PM

( I avoided the movie thread for about 18 months prior to release to avoid spoilers/detail fatigue but I'm gutted that I could have been in the movie if I'd contributed to those discussions!).

Me too. Worse, about a week before the film's release I was told that a reference to me would be in it due to another thing. But nada. Double gutted.

I'm almost within sight of being on the verge of getting over it now, though.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Rogue Judge

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 January, 2017, 09:29:57 AM
Yep  - I bought a 3D telly just to watch Dredd 3D on it.  The 3D in it is far better than watching the same film in the cinema.  For a start there's much less ghosting (ethereal double images), the picture is crisp, and there appears to be a greater depth of field. 

So you're in fopr a treat basically. 

Make sure you get the seat middle front though, as most 3D telly's don't work that well if you're viewing from too far to the left or right.

Wow I respect your  dedication to Dredd! This will be my first go around with a 3D TV so im pretty excited! Ill try to grab a central seat too

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 January, 2017, 05:28:57 PM
Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 January, 2017, 06:52:41 AM
Any parts of the film that really stand out in 3D? Im guessing mamas demise looks drokking brilliant.

Nothing to do with the 3D (and yes Mama's death is pretty damn cool!) , but you can look out for forumites immortalised in graffiti - Goaty appears a couple of times scrawled on the walls, there's a billboard of Joe Soap's avatar behind Dredd's shoulder in the initial car chase scene, and Burdis gets a mention in the Justice Dept graphics at the beginning. ( I avoided the movie thread for about 18 months prior to release to avoid spoilers/detail fatigue but I'm gutted that I could have been in the movie if I'd contributed to those discussions!).

There are a few other background "easter eggs" for hardcore fans - the movie poster about Owen Krysler for example, the perp's jacket with DROKK on the back, or the murdered fattie's belliwheel.

Wow I hadn't heard about the Easter eggs, those who did get their name immortalized in the film must be chuffed! Sorry you missed the opportunity...maybe next time.

I'll be looking for the Drokk jacket, the poster and especially the bellliwheel. Thanks!

COMMANDO FORCES

It's a heavy burden we have to carry  ;)

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 January, 2017, 11:25:05 PM

I'll be looking for the Drokk jacket, the poster and especially the bellliwheel. Thanks!
Pretty impossible to miss. :lol:

Angry Vince

Quote from: Rogue Judge on 10 January, 2017, 11:19:48 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 January, 2017, 09:29:57 AM
Yep  - I bought a 3D telly just to watch Dredd 3D on it.  The 3D in it is far better than watching the same film in the cinema.  For a start there's much less ghosting (ethereal double images), the picture is crisp, and there appears to be a greater depth of field. 

So you're in fopr a treat basically. 

Make sure you get the seat middle front though, as most 3D telly's don't work that well if you're viewing from too far to the left or right.

Wow I respect your  dedication to Dredd! This will be my first go around with a 3D TV so im pretty excited! Ill try to grab a central seat too

I must say that my copy of Dredd 3D was damned expensive, but it did come with a TV and blu ray player!

Watching it at home was definitely better - TV centred and angled correctly, 5.1 speakers and the kids at a neighbours house.
Angry Vince: One Man Against the World! (So far the world is winning 96:0)

IAMTHESYSTEM

Found this snippet about Pacific Rim 2. Interesting cast list. Sorry if it's been posted already.

http://www.screengeek.net/2017/01/09/karl-urban-rinko-kikuchi-confirmed-cast-members-pacific-rim-2/
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

IAMTHESYSTEM

False news on the internet? There is no God!
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Rogue Judge

So I watched Dredd in 3D last night!

It was great, much more enjoyable than the first time around (at home on reg DVD). I sat in the middle and was able to enjoy the 3D - it made the evening feel more like an experience than just watching a movie. It was better than I remember and there was a lot of energy in the room as myself and others are really starting to get into all things Dredd. Not going to lie...I want a 3D tv. Can someone tell my wife?

As for the Easter eggs, I was watching like a hawk. I didn't see the Owen Krysler wanted poster or the belliwheel, but I did see: the Drokk jacket and the Kenny Who? and CHOPPER graffiti (smiley face and all)!

One thing, the movie mentions Anderson is a mutant, but this is not the case in the progs, correct? Or is anyone with Psi powers a mutant? I was slightly confused by this.

Finally, It would have been nice to see more of the big Meg, (the oddly shaped buildings and flying cars, maybe an Otto Sump commercial, etc.) but I assume budget limitations played a part in this.

Steve Green

It's not really stated in the prog, but it wouldn't be the first time that Justice Department are hypocrites.

I think the main difference in the comic is that Psi powers are seen as different to radiation induced physical mutation.

Regarding buildings etc.

Budget up to a point (mainly on vehicles) - all the concept art tended to steer towards the square, brutalist architecture so it could fit in with the real location.

Since there were no backlots for the exteriors, it made sense that way.

There have been comments that there were intentions to replace some vehicles with CGI, but there's nothing in the art book which gave much indication of anything too advanced, and again it would have looked a bit out of place with the near-future setting of the rest of the film.

Rogue Judge

Thanks for the info Steve.

Interesting that it has never been established where Psi powers come from, but I suppose mutation makes the most sense.

Frank

Psi Division was established in 2057. Bob Booth launched his nukes in 2070.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 14 January, 2017, 09:35:28 PMThere have been comments that there were intentions to replace some vehicles with CGI, but there's nothing in the art book which gave much indication of anything too advanced, and again it would have looked a bit out of place with the near-future setting of the rest of the film.
Plus you could argue that in the 40-odd years since Dredd was first imagined into being, the world has changed in ways that weren't predictable, and thereby Dredd the movie provides a more realistic take on a future. There are drones rather than flying cars, and tiny pieces of advanced electronics rather than room-sized computers and stompy automatons.