Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue Judge

Quote from: Frank on 17 January, 2017, 07:24:15 AM
Psi Division was established in 2057. Bob Booth launched his nukes in 2070.

That evidence suggests Psi Judges are not mutants (at least, not mutants due to the Booth nuclear war). If aliens are possible I suppose so are psi powers. Good enough for me!

radiator

QuoteThere have been comments that there were intentions to replace some vehicles with CGI, but there's nothing in the art book which gave much indication of anything too advanced, and again it would have looked a bit out of place with the near-future setting of the rest of the film.

I could well be misremembering/misquoting here (and I'm pretty sure he wasn't speaking 100% literally in any case) but I seem to recall that Alex Garland said regarding allocation of budget that they had to choose between shooting 3d or spending the equivalent budget on having fancy sci fi looking vehicles, and they chose 3d.

FWIW, I actually really like the MC1 that ended up on screen. It's different from the comics, sure, but it works and feels cohesive, and I suspect the film will age really well because they worked within their means and didn't overreach. I also think they a very good job of establishing things like the Mega-Blocks, which didn't really come across in the '95 movie (I also tend to disagree with the general consensus that the 95 movie 'got the look of the city right' - I always felt, despite some nice touches and a few fantastic matte painting/wide shots - it looked fairly generic and plasticy).

IndigoPrime

I suppose the thing about Dredd if you've grown up with the comic, is that MC1 was always very fantastical. Even now, despite the grimmer, grittier, modern Dredd, the future tech is frequently bizarre. Dredd was much more down to earth. I liked that about it. It felt real and dirty, in a way so few sci-fi films do. I didn't need cars zooming through the air. I do, however, still find it a pity that we won't see more. (And, yes, I know the comics exist, but more on-screen action would be amazing. Still, at least Dredd in comic form feels quite close to the movie universe in tone and quality – compared to the rubbish that Serenity/Firefly became in comic form.)

Molch-R

Quote from: radiator on 18 January, 2017, 06:50:02 PM
I could well be misremembering/misquoting here (and I'm pretty sure he wasn't speaking 100% literally in any case) but I seem to recall that Alex Garland said regarding allocation of budget that they had to choose between shooting 3d or spending the equivalent budget on having fancy sci fi looking vehicles, and they chose 3d.

Not quite - when I interviewed him for the Megazine, Alex told me that if you were looking for funding in the post-Avatar world if your film wasn't going to be in 3D then the funders didn't want to know. So it had to be 3D to get made, which swallowed up a massive part of the budget.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Molch-R on 18 January, 2017, 08:30:04 PMNot quite - when I interviewed him for the Megazine, Alex told me that if you were looking for funding in the post-Avatar world if your film wasn't going to be in 3D then the funders didn't want to know. So it had to be 3D to get made, which swallowed up a massive part of the budget.

Rather than it being an issue of 3D in and of itself, I believe they got extra money to spend on post-production for added FX on the presentation of the slo-mo scenes - exploding jaws/shot manipulation/image enhancement etc. - and that it was a choice between beefing up the slo-mo scenes or spending it on vehicle replacement/augmentation.

Molch-R

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 18 January, 2017, 08:59:32 PM

Quote from: Molch-R on 18 January, 2017, 08:30:04 PMNot quite - when I interviewed him for the Megazine, Alex told me that if you were looking for funding in the post-Avatar world if your film wasn't going to be in 3D then the funders didn't want to know. So it had to be 3D to get made, which swallowed up a massive part of the budget.

Rather than it being an issue of 3D in and of itself, I believe they got extra money to spend on post-production for added FX on the presentation of the slo-mo scenes - exploding jaws/shot manipulation/image enhancement etc. - and that it was a choice between beefing up the slo-mo scenes or spending it on vehicle replacement/augmentation.

Aaaaah, gotcha.

Tiplodocus

*** pimp Alert  ***
I do believe there is a lawmaster from the movie at Capital Sci-Fi Con in Edinburgh on 18th an 19th Feb.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

James Stacey

Im not sure whether to be pleased with Shankars enthusiasm or ask him to stop .. please.

Professor Bear

My abiding memory of Shankar's Power Rangers fan movie is how the guy who played Tommy in the original show was approached to appear in it, but thought it sounded shit and started a Youtube channel to fill his time instead.  Fair play, though, one of his first videos was his attempt to break the world record for smashing wooden blocks with his fists - while skydiving.

James Stacey

Steve Green

He just keeps dodging those Rigellian Hotshots.

James Stacey