Main Menu

Doctor who: The god complex

Started by The Monarch, 17 September, 2011, 08:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

SmallBlueThing

That was okay. They're now lifting their opportunities for sentimentality straight out of the McCoy years though- and not doing it at all convincingly. That was much more effective when it was the seventh Doctor breaking Ace's faith in him, but there you go.

Could've done without the Murray Gold score as well, which completely undercut any scenes of menace. But, on the whole, I liked that- and that's three in a row now that did not make me want to pull my own eyes out, so things are looking up. Nice for the dear old nimons to get a mention too- though as my eldest said "Nimons would kick minotaurs bum- because THEY CAN FIRE LASERS OUT OF THEIR HORNS!".

SBT

JamesC

I quite enjoyed that - really liked Rita, she would have made a good companion. The monster was well done too which makes me think it's bound to be used again at some point. These costumes don't come cheap!

I agree that the music undermined things in this episode.

Next week looks ok but I really don't like James Cordon and I wish the BBC would re-design the Cybermen again - these ones are rubbish! (I'd go back to one of the earliest designs and pimp it up a bit - like they did with the gold Dalek).

Rich1

What was in room 11? The Doctor, Omega or even Adric!

SmallBlueThing

If it wasnt koquillion it's a total beyrayl of fifty years of dr who...

SBT

The Monarch

Greg M.

Surely The Doctor saw himself?

I thought that was a pretty good one, the ending didn't totally hold together (too much exposition), but it was pretty atmospheric and certainly enjoyable, with a great-looking monster (and Nimon-related too! I remember being terrified of the Nimon on a visit to Madame Tussauds as a child.) Never been a fan of David Walliams, but recent news that he rescued a dog in difficulties whilst swimming the Thames has raised him massively in my estimation. And speaking of comedy chaps I'm not a fan of, I can't stand James Corden, stars of next week's ep, but have to admit he played his character pretty well last time around, so I am ambivalent to his return.

I, Cosh

I don't like David Walliams or dogs. River's the best place for them.
We never really die.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 September, 2011, 11:54:19 PM
I don't like David Walliams or dogs. River's the best place for them.

Oo-er!

SmallBlueThing

5.2m overnight, beaten by Family Fortunes and The X Factor.

SBT

mogzilla

not bad, i was kinda hoping for a twist where the minotaur was really a trapped person and david walliams was the monster , a missed oppurtunity there.

Mardroid

The episode was fine.

I really liked what  they showed of the minotaur's head in Confidential.  What they can do with animatronics* nowadays is amazing.

I also liked the fact that Walliam's character [spoiler]survived. It's nice to see that it's not always the good characters who survive, like in the real world.[/spoiler] Amusingly, I didn't recognise him until he spoke... then I knew him straight away. He has such a distinctive voice and way about him.

*My browser spell-checker doesn't like that word

Goaty

Been watch it today, I enjoy it, does anyone find that dining room with puppets so creepy?

And interesting to know what Doctor see in Room 11, (funny as he is himself 11th Doctor!)

dracula1

Does this episode mean we won't see Pond or Rory again this series  :'( or ever!

Colin YNWA

Cracking stuff. What a return to form the last two have been. Okay so again we have the scary childhood images which is becoming a little cliche now in Who and as my wife said another in a confined space (maybe related to my first point there?) but who cares when its so stonkingly well done.

Really hope next episode has the redemption of the Cybermen as villains... or at least they kill James Corden which would give them a redemption of a different kind in my eyes!