Main Menu

What attracts you to a comic?

Started by Mardroid, 19 February, 2012, 05:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

To quote DaveyCandlish in the What comics and collections do YOU get? thread:

Quotewhat attracts you to a comic? A known writer or artist? The subject? A review you've read? Maybe you had a flick through in the shop and liked the art? Do you ever buy 'blind'? (ie. read a review or seen a preview online and thought you'd give it a go?) Maybe this should be the start of a new thread?

It seems a good idea, so I've taken the liberty. Hope that's okay.

I think for me it's a mixture of the above. I'd like to think it's mainly subject matter but if it's by an author I like, I might buy it. I'm very much into Stephen King's Dark Tower novels for example so when I knew they were bringing out a comic series set between the Mejis stuff in Wizard and Glass and The Gunslinger, that was right up my street. I'd have preferred it if he'd written it himself, but as he was on board as executive producer and things went by him first, I was happy enough with that.

The comics themselves... were largely enjoyable if a mixed read.

I opted for American Vampire for similar reasons: King co-wrote the first volume. And I like a good horror comic and I like vampires if they're dealt with correctly. This take was interesting. Despite being drawn to it due to King, I'll continue to buy due to enjoying the other guy's work too.

I opted for 2000 AD mainly because a) I like Sci fi and b) I wanted to read a comic anthology as I just wasn't sure what was out there. An anthology with a wide selection provided a good gamble that I'd find something I'd like.

And 2000 AD led to collections, collecting back material. To be honest, I'm not really that focussed on author and artist in this case (no offence if you read this, I appreciate your work) it's all about the stories and characters. If I liked them in the Prog, I'll probably like them in the trades. That being said, certain writers stand out as providing particularly enjoyable stuff.

My reason for getting the Serenity comics are similar- I loved the Firefly series and spin-off film. The fact Joss Whedon co-wrote some of it or at least endorsed it as official was a contributing factor though.

I do pin-point some stuff according to the writer. I like Alan Moore for example, so some of the collections I've bought were specifically because he was involved.

As for buying blind based just on reviews, sure. I'd never read any of the Simping Detective stuff, but the reviews I read suggested interesting qirky subject matter, so I went ahead. My purchase of Fiends of the Eastern Front was mainly based on the subject matter.

I seldom buy for the artist, but I enjoy their work just the same. It's all about the story for me, but I certainly appreciate the artist telling that story well.

Greg M.

For the most part, it's the writer that interests me. They're the first point of reference and usually the reason for buying. Doesn't mean I'll follow any of 'em slavishly, if the character or concept they're writing doesn't grab me, but they are my regular starting point. I don't follow artists unless they happen to be writer/artists like Eric Powell or Mike Mignola. Like Mardroid says, doesn't mean I don't appreciate or have favourite artists, 'cos I do, but I'm far more likely to pick up a title with a writer I like and an artist I'm not into than the reverse. (For instance, I'm not at all into Humberto Ramos, but I love Dan Slott's take on Spider-Man, so I persevere.)

In terms of comics written by what are to me unknown quantities, it's the concept or the character - there's got to be something offbeat, odd or original about it, within the context of its genre (therefore usually dooming it to about 12 issues at best.) That would be how I got into Jeff Lemire's work on Sweet Tooth, for example: post-apocalyptic tale of a young boy with antlers is automatically worth a look, in my book. I will also automatically look at the first few issues of any new X-Men title or run by a writer I'm not aware of, due to my long familiarity with and interest in the characters.

It's seldom I buy something without having heard of it first: i.e, see it in the comic shop, know nothing about it, pick it up. That said, that was exactly how I got into my favourite US comic, 'The Goon', way back in the Albatross Exploding Funnybook days. Picked it up, liked the art, read a line about giant squid beaks, and loved it immediately. But that doesn't happen often.

SmallBlueThing

For me, i seem to have several heads when approaching a 'new' comic: firstly, i'll usually try things by a writer i like. I read mostly any pat mills i can get my hands on, f'rinstance.
Genre is important, as i'll pick out horror titles to glance at, but will mostly leave superhero and scifi comics on the shelf.

If something is by a writer and artist i recognise from the prog, i'll likely give it a go- but not if it's just an artist.

Finally, reviews of odd and euro stuff. Oh, and from time to time, i'll spend an hour just browsing til something jumps out at me, then take a blind punt. That's how i found the chimpanzee complex, which has proven to be one of my better choices. That, and Scalped.

SBT

Roger Godpleton

I like my comics like I like my coffee. And I like my coffee like I like my women: Bitter, black and preferably Fairtrade.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Adventurer

I'm all about concepts. Known quality writers help, but if a concept grabs me I will always take a chance on unknowns. That being said, writers I've had experience with do have the best chance of getting my immediate attention. But I don't blindly follow writers, if I don't care for the concept they're pitching, I have no qualms with ignoring it. EX: I like Warren Ellis, but I never bought any of his Marvel stuff because, who cares. And I'm always on the look out for something new to read. I am not afraid of the blind buy.

I almost never follow characters or franchises unless the spin-offs on creative team change up continues to interest me conceptually.

Art is often the least important aspect to make me jump on a book. Now, I like good and competent artwork on my comics (though even that isn't a rule), but artists names rarely factor into any of my purchases decisions.

Basicly, what attracts me a comic is the dare to do something I've never seen before. Which is pretty much why I love 2000 AD so much. So much Variety assaulting my comic palette.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Gonk

It's mainly a nostalgia thing with me. I see one that I read in my childhood and want to remind myself of it. So I'm not really on the look out for new comics. I stick with my 2000ad. I used to read BatMan Spiderman etc, etc but these do not really interest me at all anymore. 2000ad has such a wealth of stories to it I cannot be bothered with the competition.
coming at a cinema near you soon

bigjobs67

The art initially for me. I'm always drawn to comics main medium. Kirby, Steranko,Darrow,Ezqurresa, Quitley, Walker, Liberator. The list goes on.
'Overwhelming, I'm I not!

bigjobs67

Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 19 February, 2012, 06:36:07 PM
I like my comics like I like my coffee. And I like my coffee like I like my women: Bitter, black and preferably Fairtrade.

You had any black women?

Emperor

Quote from: bigjobs67 on 19 February, 2012, 09:50:11 PM
Quote from: Roger Godpleton on 19 February, 2012, 06:36:07 PM

You had any black women?

Cannibalistically.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

O Lucky Stevie!

They're all black after a week or so down in the coal cellar.

"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Emperor

Quote from: The Adventurer on 19 February, 2012, 07:08:50 PM
I'm all about concepts. Known quality writers help, but if a concept grabs me I will always take a chance on unknowns. That being said, writers I've had experience with do have the best chance of getting my immediate attention. But I don't blindly follow writers, if I don't care for the concept they're pitching, I have no qualms with ignoring it. EX: I like Warren Ellis, but I never bought any of his Marvel stuff because, who cares. And I'm always on the look out for something new to read. I am not afraid of the blind buy.

Yes I'll go for it, if it sounds like it'd be up my alley but I also will follow writers who tend to tinker in those areas, as you say Warren Ellis is usually throwing out wild ideas and I'll usually give anything by Grant Morrison a spin.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

bigjobs67

Yeah Grants Ace. I fuckin hate Supertwat and his DC & marvel bollocking mates (especially that cunt Dare Dangel) with a vengeance. But fuck me! there I am buyin, readin and then re-readin "All Star" and laughin like a drain @ the bit with him in prison with Lex. The guys a fuckin genius and don't get me started on Frank. I would happily Gam him for free anytime.

Van Dom

Probably the characters and concept for me. Don't tend to be pulled in purely on the basis of who the writer or artist is. An interesting character/set of characters will be the first thing I notice, which will then lead me to check out what the concept (or concepts in the case of anthologies) is...if I'm interested at that point I'll pick it up and give it a whirl.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

The Adventurer

Man I don't know. I've never really clicked with Grant Morrison. Joe the Barbarian was pretty neat (loved the concept of it), but Action Comics has left me stone cold so I dropped it like a bad habit. Its just not giving me the Superman concept I thought Morrison would be presenting.

I bought We3 the other day in a sale. But I haven't had much energy to actually read it. I didn't care for the All-Star Superman I did read, because I thought it got to hung up on the DC Silver-Ageisms I don't care for (now Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier, that's the DC Silver Age I'll gush about). I keep meaning to check out stuff like The Invisibles, but the concepts just don't grab me enough to rush out and buy it.

I would by a Zenith collection so fast though.....

So yeah. I don't really get the Grant Morrison hype sometimes, because aside from a very small handful of things, he's a complete non-entity to me. Which is pretty much why I don't follow or ignore creators (most of the time) because I know everything he writes isn't for me. But sometimes he can surprise me.

Warren Ellis is the same, except I've enjoyed far more comics with Ellis's name on the cover then Morrison. But I know not everything he does is going to float my boat (SuperGod).

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Colin YNWA

Its a very good question. I always think of myself as someone who goes for writers, but the evidence suggests that there's a heck of a lot of the characters / concept side of things that pulls me to a project in reality.

Certain writers I'll always check out almost regardless, Grant Morrison is the one that springs to mind. After that its combination. So say Paul Cornell and Gail Simone are writers I love, but I'm finding that I'm not picking stuff up by default, they rise my interest but aren't a defo sell. Were as certain characters I slavishly follow, so Flash for example and Daredevil. I'm beginning to question this more and more.

Another thing that'll draw me to a project is I enjoy a lot of comics set in the past. So if something is WWII based it'll get my attention and then depending on the creative team I'm more likely to buy it. Likewise I'm getting more and more into my comics history and I find I really like checking out older material as it increasingly gets reissued.

This increase in old material has made me begin to think where my money goes. I'm a massive DC fan and have really enjoyed the relaunch, finding its upped my monthly spend on DC considerably. Now however I'm beginning to question that and wonder if my budget would be better spend elsewhere, which is a bit of a revelation I've not quite got my head around yet.

Still love DC, still love the shared universe thing, but if I cut back significantly there I'll be able to experiment with more Cinebooks, or say get the Prince Valiant stuff Fantagraphics are releasing. I have a horrible feeling that I'm in a bit of a transition phase in my collecting!