Main Menu

2000AD Monthly

Started by Emperor, 02 March, 2012, 04:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor

Oddly, featured in the Malaysian Star:

QuoteTHE year is 1985 and if there ever was an exception to comics being childish – it would have to be 2000 A.D.! Aside from having a futuristic sounding name, 2000 A.D. remains as the Brits' best contribution to comics as it provided the springboard to legendary comic talents such as Alan Moore, Brian Bolland, Neil Gaiman, Garth Ennis, Mark Millar, Frank Quitely and many others.

Growing up, I was fortunate to have a dad who not only encouraged me to read comics, he also, most importantly, foot the bill. It was during one of those weekly comics-hunting escapades that I found an "alien stowaway" in my comics bag, and here's where characters like Judge Dredd, Strontium Dog, Judge Anderson, ABC Warriors, Rogue Trooper, D.R. & Quinch and Tharg The Mighty became essential reading for me.

Despite lacking the hype of its mainstream mutant counterparts, 2000 A.D. made up (voluminous) ground with its clairvoyant plots (my first glimpse of an iPad was in a D.R. & Quinch story published in 1985!) and volatile characters (courtesy of automated mood swings), combined with a mean streak of irony and cynical black humour (ever tried chocolate coated ant brains?). In short, if the Vertigo Universe ever had a place of birth, the 2000 A.D. universe was it!

Anyway, it was a pleasant surprise to get back a piece of my childhood, via today's reviewed comics. This 1985 published series by the now-defunct Eagle Comics should have come with a big warning sign – "Nostalgia Overdose" – as it certainly brought back a host of happy childhood memories. But what surprised me most was that the plots, interiors and concepts have withstood the test of time – which is not a shocker, especially when the Big Two's quality control departments have been slacking.

Every issue of this six-parter offers three stand-alone tales, focusing on Judge Dredd, D.R. & Quinch and Strontium Dog.

In case you are wondering what happened to the rest of the 2000 A.D. universe, let's just say that this (then) pioneer venture to the United States only reprinted its main stories with the potential of penetrating a new market.

http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2012/3/2/lifebookshelf/10830143&sec=lifebookshelf
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+