Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Quote from: Tjm86 on 18 February, 2017, 09:37:44 PM
Well, chewed through my monthly haul at an obscene pace.  Considering the cost I reckon a culling is in order.  Amazing Spider Man really has lost it.  Much as I enjoyed Superior, this has nothing.

I'm a long time Spidey fan so wouldn't and couldn't do anything as drastic as stop pulling it but Dan Slott needs a break, Amazing needs a new fresh pair of eyes for at least a while. It's not bad but it's deffo Spider-Man on auto pilot.

TordelBack

Anyone pick up The Old Guard 1 (Greg Rucka on keyboard)?  It looked pretty cool in a Highlandery way, but Tharg completely emptied my wallet this week.  Worth going into hock for?

Smith

Hook Jaw continues in style.Forever Was starts strong(I know its a reprint).There is apparently a movie in the works.
Titan is really expanding lately.

Pegasus P Artichoke

Two for me this week

Lost Light 3 out. This was an issue with lots of character building and plot building but it did have Whirl letting Killmaster out which was fun. It's still in the process of setting its main story up and introducing the new characters so hopefully once that's all done it will really start hitting its stride

Clean Room 16 this for me is top class stuff. Everything about it is spot on with the writing, the characters and the art. It's one of my favourite new comics I am reading at the moment. Loving the blend of horror and black comedy, fantastic stuff long may it continue.
We'll give them back their heroes

The Adventurer

The first installment of Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Knights of Sidonia)'s latest series Aposimz just dropped on comiXology , it'lls surely get a print collection later. It's Nihei's typical brand of bleak dark sci-fi. Where Sodonia was his take on the mecha genre, this seems more Gyver/Ultraman. I'm digging it.

https://www.comixology.com/APOSIMZ-1/digital-comic/491611?ref=c2l0ZS9hamF4U2xpZGVyL3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0LzE1NjMz

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Adventurer on 25 February, 2017, 07:55:01 PM
The first installment of Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Knights of Sidonia)'s latest series Aposimz just dropped on comiXology , it'lls surely get a print collection later. It's Nihei's typical brand of bleak dark sci-fi. Where Sodonia was his take on the mecha genre, this seems more Gyver/Ultraman. I'm digging it.

https://www.comixology.com/APOSIMZ-1/digital-comic/491611?ref=c2l0ZS9hamF4U2xpZGVyL3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0LzE1NjMz
Ooohhh....Now, I very much like Sidonia and have been meaning to give BLAME! a read for sometime (those HC's look lovely!) so this is rapibly being added to my reading pile.

Pegasus P Artichoke

Only the one for me this week

The Dregs issue 2

Another solid issue with great art, characters are developing nicely and the story is coming along well

Black Mask Studios have got something special with this one I feel.

I particularly enjoyed the sequence that was like a classic detective noir story but obviously all just happening in the main characters head
We'll give them back their heroes

Colin YNWA

So lets look for some problems with comics I just read, cos ya know that's what's interesting right?

Well Kamandi Challenge 2 kinda reveals the weakness in the format. Its a fun thing one creative team playing tag with another but its leaving the story feeling chaotic, which almost works here... but not quite. A new writer (to me) on Doc 11th 3rd 3 but it kinda works, not brilliant, but not bad. Judge Dredd Annual 1 has three stories and from beginning to end enjoyed, huh?, fun... its a little ragged but as a baggage is kinda interesting. That middle story needs a re-read mind as it just felt like a complete disconnect... trouble is not sure it gave me enough to be bothered to re-read it.

So three with some issues, the rest we're nit-pickin' Paper Girls 12, what was all that fuss about the giant sloth, such an enterance, such a damp squib exit. That aside smackin' issue. Flintstones 9 not the strongest issue, almost felt too bittersweet and for a series that is so very sharp I'm not sure that worked ... well not as well, its still brilliant! Black Road was a great blast. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 16 saw this series really get its magic back in an arch that's struggled. FANTASTIC. Flash Gordon - Kings Cross 5 was a superbly entertaining ending to this charming piece of classic adventure. Cinema Purgatorio 8 was 3.5 for 5 for me (I'll let you guess), the only thing is a feel a couple of the stories while enjoyable are feeling a bit lost and directionless, still lets see.

Book of the haul Invisible Republic 15 which sees this series really back at its best just as it takes an extended break at its half way mark. Come back soon... oh hold on its a Image Book I'll just have to settle for come back some time I guess!

Hawkmumbler

So Boichi's new series Dr.Stone is AWESOME! Yeah it pivots on the typical high school love confession trope but it's set in a post apocalyptic stine age where everyones be turned to rock!

And it looks PHENOMENAL!

Colin YNWA

Well we have been neglecting this thread haven't we. Bad we, bad we.

I will redemn us all with my comics and their reading. Having done the reading I will now do the whittering. You should all come here and do this also. Otherwise we will always be bad we. We are not bad we are we...*

Island 15 marks the last issue of this series, such a shame.We've had our ups and downs (or rather downs and ups, took me a while to get into this) but by George that was one worthwhile experiment. Well done all involved for trying.

Speaking of ups and downs I somehow ending up buying Cerebus in Hell 1 and 2 after deciding I shouldn't. Not as good as issue 0 but has it moments and I don't think I was offended by anything ... I was trying not to look too hard!

Kong of Skull Island 9 has finally made me realise why this series doesn't always work as well as it should, its the colouring. Its all so orange and can make the storytelling stumble. The reason I sussed this was cos on all other levels this was a great episode and so I really tried to work out what was buggin' me ... and it was that.

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 17 see this arc fall back to the slump. Come on MG+DD you were so good for so long and I was so chuffed you somehow stayed around. Don't blow it now.

From now on all gold. Black Road 8 is just a wonderfully characterful fight. Brilliant. The Spirit Corpse-Makers 2 is Francavilla doing The Spirit, 'nuff said. Black Hammer 7 and Kill or be Killed 7 both continue being wonderful.

So we get to book of the haul. its not going to be Helena Crash 1 alas. It could have been its just soooo cool, so very very cool. I got this on the strenght of the brilliant Warwick Johnson Cadwell's just glorious art (come on Tharg get this fella in the Prog will ya). I stayed for the cool... I'm old and grumpy I don't do cool any more... some how this made me do cool. Well done you.

Book of the haul though has to be Copperhead 11. I might have read better comics this month, I've not read comics I'm more happy about picking up. Don't get me wrong it is quite supreme, it really is. A fantastic opening to the new arc. A wonderful, apparent shift with on of our main characters and just great to look at. So happy this comic is back. Its so good. Serioiusly all fans of 2000ad should be reading this comic, seriously.

*No whatever you may think that's not all typo that was all meant

Greg M.

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 27 March, 2017, 08:59:05 PM
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 17 see this arc fall back to the slump. Come on MG+DD you were so good for so long and I was so chuffed you somehow stayed around.

I'm amazed this has made it to 17 issues. I don't mean that as a judgement on the quality of the comic, because I don't read it, but when comparable Marvel fringe titles like Foolkiller have conked out at 5, and when Marvel in general is doing surprisingly poorly in the direct market, it's quite an achievement for this to still be going.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 28 March, 2017, 07:25:34 AM
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 17 see this arc fall back to the slump. Come on MG+DD you were so good for so long and I was so chuffed you somehow stayed around.

I'm amazed this has made it to 17 issues. I don't mean that as a judgement on the quality of the comic, because I don't read it, but when comparable Marvel fringe titles like Foolkiller have conked out at 5, and when Marvel in general is doing surprisingly poorly in the direct market, it's quite an achievement for this to still be going.

Yeah each time a new arc is announced I'm amazed and delighted. It seems to sell bobbins in the direct market and yet got a second, then third and it would now seem we are going for a fourth arc (hopefully better than the 3rd!). There must be some other market its doing well in cos even as a product to diversify the range the numbers as we seem them can't justify its continued existence... not that I'm complaining mind!

Colin YNWA

Well I've not been to the nerd shop for about 3 weeks. That's no bloody excuse for you lot now is it. Anyway way have my haul safely mainlined and it does kinda highlight how difficult I'm finding keeping up with stories inbetween waits these days. Its took me while to get my head back into a few stories this month. In that vain I've rated my haul by the number of pages (out of a typical 20) that it took me to get my head back into the story and characters.

So with this rating the lower the score the better. In no particular order other than that which they lie in front of me as I type.

Cinema Purgatorio = 0 - its anthology format serving me well, though I am skipping one story these days.

Ragnarok 12 = 2ish but frankly who gives this is glorious, glorious comics. I hope its not too long between arcs!

Paper Girls 13 = 5 or so. Its doing well wrapping things around to themselves in a timey whimey way and I'm kinda surprised I think I'm keeping up. I do thing a re-read would serve this well though.

They're Not Like Us 15 = Pretty much all 20! This is such a shame, its great comic but I kept finding myself having to flick about reminding myself who was who. I think this will be great in re-read but its hurtling along right now (in story not publication) and its not really draggin' to it conclusion as is.

Unfollow 17 4-5ish
= As it races to its conclusion its cast has tightened and its becoming lean and mean. That said I still had to get my head into how they crashed in the jungle. This is more my bad but can't wait to get this one re-read as its just be superb.

Lazarus 26 =  7ish - This dense political fantasy feels disjointed and I really think thats to do with publication deserves better and again I look forward to a mightly re-read.

Copperhead 12 0 = This work of glory just slips back in my comic hole so easily. Sure it had a long lay off by it just knows how to drive straight back in, even if the art has slipped a little.

Flintstones 10 - 0 = This comics masterpiece is so mind meltingly fresh in the way its doing things, each issue just slaps you across the chops with its confident dissection of modern life. Genius.

Black Hammer 8 - 0 = See above really except for 'confident dissection of modern life' read 'glorious reintreptation of comics cliche as real life' oh and that ending huh Black Hammer fans, that ending!!!!!

Kong of Skull Island 10 - 15ish = Again I'm just getting my head back into this when it ends. I love Magno's art on the surface but it, alongside the colouring I'm increasingly sure, doesn't support the storytelling. Another awaiting re-read.

Doctor Who 11th, 3rd 4th - 20 = Bloody hell this is my only regular dosh of Who these days and its losing me a little. It looks superb and I think was a great story, just I couldn't bloody remember all the actual timey whimey stuff. 4 issues into the new 'season' and I already need a re-read NOT a healthy sign that!

Kamandi Challenge 3 - 0 = Okay the creative team of the month do a fun job this month and mean it does rather just cast you in and tell its story. The stories just haven't been that great but I think I'll stick with this regardless. 

And new book, thus escaping my marking this month is Rock Candy Mountain 1. This wasn't the book I wanted, it was the book it saud it would be a. A hobo combat adventure book was a little closer to the mark than I'd wished, or at least thought I'd wished but this is an absolute blast and is stunning to look at. A smashing first issue that has me sold out the blocks.

Colin YNWA

Oh I missed something I bought a while back on a whim. Well actually based on the fact I really Warwick Johnson Cadwell's art and have been meaning to pick something up by him for a while. So when I save Helena Crash 1 it looked perfect (even if I do hate coffee) and so picked it up.

Its a good fun opener and while not yet earth shattering looks brill and will be keeping me around a little longer at least.

positronic

Kong of Skull Island 9 has finally made me realise why this series doesn't always work as well as it should, its the colouring. Its all so orange and can make the storytelling stumble. The reason I sussed this was cos on all other levels this was a great episode and so I really tried to work out what was buggin' me ... and it was that.

The biggest problem I have is in keeping all the characters straight (not because of the coloring). There are a fair number of them and trying to remember what their job description is in the society on Skull Island is hard to keep straight. I was surprised how well-written it was overall, though.

I kind of look forward to re-reading this at some point mainly in one or two sittings, as I think it will make more sense and be easier to remember everything going on. Is the whole thing 12 issues, or could it actually go further than that?

At any rate, it's a lot better than that Monster Comics SKULL ISLAND: BIRTH OF KONG #1 that I read this week.

Is there a thread here where people just list all the comics they read this week, or is this it? I think yours are the only posts I see that are like lists, Colin. Nice that you can squeeze in a sentence or two about each one.