Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Comic Book Day Megathread  (Read 141163 times)

sheldipez

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
Re: New Comic Book Day Megathread
« Reply #2100 on: 22 February, 2017, 01:38:20 pm »
Well, chewed through my monthly haul at an obscene pace.  Considering the cost I reckon a culling is in order.  Amazing Spider Man really has lost it.  Much as I enjoyed Superior, this has nothing.

I'm a long time Spidey fan so wouldn't and couldn't do anything as drastic as stop pulling it but Dan Slott needs a break, Amazing needs a new fresh pair of eyes for at least a while. It's not bad but it's deffo Spider-Man on auto pilot.

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Thunder Chops is dragged off, gnashing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: 22 February, 2017, 01:42:56 pm »
Anyone pick up The Old Guard 1 (Greg Rucka on keyboard)?  It looked pretty cool in a Highlandery way, but Tharg completely emptied my wallet this week.  Worth going into hock for?

Smith

• Sentient Tea Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: 23 February, 2017, 07:17:23 pm »
Hook Jaw continues in style.Forever Was starts strong(I know its a reprint).There is apparently a movie in the works.
Titan is really expanding lately.

Pegasus P Artichoke

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: 24 February, 2017, 08:36:49 am »
Two for me this week

Lost Light 3 out. This was an issue with lots of character building and plot building but it did have Whirl letting Killmaster out which was fun. It's still in the process of setting its main story up and introducing the new characters so hopefully once that's all done it will really start hitting its stride

Clean Room 16 this for me is top class stuff. Everything about it is spot on with the writing, the characters and the art. It's one of my favourite new comics I am reading at the moment. Loving the blend of horror and black comedy, fantastic stuff long may it continue.
We'll give them back their heroes

The Adventurer

• Battle Hardened War Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: 25 February, 2017, 07:55:01 pm »
The first installment of Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Knights of Sidonia)'s latest series Aposimz just dropped on comiXology , it'lls surely get a print collection later. It's Nihei's typical brand of bleak dark sci-fi. Where Sodonia was his take on the mecha genre, this seems more Gyver/Ultraman. I'm digging it.

https://www.comixology.com/APOSIMZ-1/digital-comic/491611?ref=c2l0ZS9hamF4U2xpZGVyL3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0LzE1NjMz

Notable Comics dropping the Week of 01-02-13

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2105 on: 26 February, 2017, 09:11:08 pm »
The first installment of Tsutomu Nihei (Blame!, Knights of Sidonia)'s latest series Aposimz just dropped on comiXology , it'lls surely get a print collection later. It's Nihei's typical brand of bleak dark sci-fi. Where Sodonia was his take on the mecha genre, this seems more Gyver/Ultraman. I'm digging it.

https://www.comixology.com/APOSIMZ-1/digital-comic/491611?ref=c2l0ZS9hamF4U2xpZGVyL3RhYmxldC9zbGlkZXJMaXN0LzE1NjMz
Ooohhh....Now, I very much like Sidonia and have been meaning to give BLAME! a read for sometime (those HC's look lovely!) so this is rapibly being added to my reading pile.

Pegasus P Artichoke

• Sub Basement Sewer Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:49:19 am »
Only the one for me this week

The Dregs issue 2

Another solid issue with great art, characters are developing nicely and the story is coming along well

Black Mask Studios have got something special with this one I feel.

I particularly enjoyed the sequence that was like a classic detective noir story but obviously all just happening in the main characters head
We'll give them back their heroes

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: 05 March, 2017, 09:17:27 pm »
So lets look for some problems with comics I just read, cos ya know that's what's interesting right?

Well Kamandi Challenge 2 kinda reveals the weakness in the format. Its a fun thing one creative team playing tag with another but its leaving the story feeling chaotic, which almost works here... but not quite. A new writer (to me) on Doc 11th 3rd 3 but it kinda works, not brilliant, but not bad. Judge Dredd Annual 1 has three stories and from beginning to end enjoyed, huh?, fun... its a little ragged but as a baggage is kinda interesting. That middle story needs a re-read mind as it just felt like a complete disconnect... trouble is not sure it gave me enough to be bothered to re-read it.

So three with some issues, the rest we're nit-pickin' Paper Girls 12, what was all that fuss about the giant sloth, such an enterance, such a damp squib exit. That aside smackin' issue. Flintstones 9 not the strongest issue, almost felt too bittersweet and for a series that is so very sharp I'm not sure that worked ... well not as well, its still brilliant! Black Road was a great blast. Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur 16 saw this series really get its magic back in an arch that's struggled. FANTASTIC. Flash Gordon - Kings Cross 5 was a superbly entertaining ending to this charming piece of classic adventure. Cinema Purgatorio 8 was 3.5 for 5 for me (I'll let you guess), the only thing is a feel a couple of the stories while enjoyable are feeling a bit lost and directionless, still lets see.

Book of the haul Invisible Republic 15 which sees this series really back at its best just as it takes an extended break at its half way mark. Come back soon... oh hold on its a Image Book I'll just have to settle for come back some time I guess!

Hawkmumbler

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • http://hawkmonger.deviantart.com/
« Reply #2108 on: 08 March, 2017, 11:05:18 am »
So Boichi's new series Dr.Stone is AWESOME! Yeah it pivots on the typical high school love confession trope but it's set in a post apocalyptic stine age where everyones be turned to rock!

And it looks PHENOMENAL!