Main Menu

New Comic Book Day Megathread

Started by The Adventurer, 08 March, 2012, 09:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 22 April, 2017, 09:38:42 PM
And new book, thus escaping my marking this month is Rock Candy Mountain 1. This wasn't the book I wanted, it was the book it saud it would be a. A hobo combat adventure book was a little closer to the mark than I'd wished, or at least thought I'd wished but this is an absolute blast and is stunning to look at. A smashing first issue that has me sold out the blocks.

Yeah, that was completely off my radar until I saw it and picked it up and began reading a bit of it. A very interesting alternativey-feeling change of pace, and I loved all the text explanation of the song in the back. I want to read more of the story already. I'm not sure that I'd quite boil it down as far as "a hobo combat adventure" (that was a key dramatic scene, though), since I don't expect those sort of sequences to characterize the whole thing, but you might be onto something if you're thinking in terms of there's a vendetta brewing that's connected to that scene which might come back to become the regular bane of our hobo-heroes. I hadn't actually considered that. Shaolin Hobo?

positronic

Ragnarok 12 = 2ish but frankly who gives this is glorious, glorious comics. I hope its not too long between arcs!

Another one I've been following. Found it a little slow-going as a read in the earliest issues, but once I figured out what was what and got into the rhythm of it, it's sensational. It really leaves me feeling like Simonson is doing "Son of Odin Returns" ala Miller's 1986 Batman opus, but not in any kind of derivative way. Feels epic, like the Last Thor Saga, or something.

Black Hammer 8 - 0 = See above really except for 'confident dissection of modern life' read 'glorious reintreptation of comics cliche as real life' oh and that ending huh Black Hammer fans, that ending!!!!!

I have not been a huge Jeff Lemire fan up to this point, and I guess really am not still. This series is without a doubt the best thing I've ever read by him though, and I look forward to it every single month. In its sketchiest form it's a Justice League homage/rehash, yet so much more at the same time. In a good, old-school Alan Moore-ish sort of way (but again, not in an imitative way). Just one of those really outstanding and 'different' re-approaches to the superhero genre.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: positronic on 23 April, 2017, 11:20:47 AM
Is there a thread here where people just list all the comics they read this week, or is this it? I think yours are the only posts I see that are like lists, Colin. Nice that you can squeeze in a sentence or two about each one.

This thread has been and is many things to many people. I think when Adventurer (I think its was) started it it was designed to just that, what was coming out and being bought by folks.

I started to use it just as a place to whitter about comics I'm currently reading from my pull list...

...really I post so much here to try to keep it going and so showcase talking about comics on what is after all a comics forum. Beats the heck out of squabbling about politics here if you ask med (I have my Facebook bubble for that!).

Use it to list ya comics if you fancy, but most just use it!

Hawkmumbler

I have neglected this thread for too long...comic book dump incoming!

Colin YNWA

Oh and on another note just read this morning as it happens that Kong will be finishing at issue 12

AND just messaged Walt Simonson and I'm now all star struck as he responded pretty much straight away - alas the news was not good. It could be a year between this issue and next BUT The MIGHTY SIMONSON is doing this so the next arc can come out monthly.

For Walt I wait!

positronic

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 April, 2017, 12:41:51 PM
Oh and on another note just read this morning as it happens that Kong will be finishing at issue 12

AND just messaged Walt Simonson and I'm now all star struck as he responded pretty much straight away - alas the news was not good. It could be a year between this issue and next BUT The MIGHTY SIMONSON is doing this so the next arc can come out monthly.

For Walt I wait!

Yeah, I kind of figured that Kong of Skull Island had to come to a natural conclusion. As much as I like it, I don't think that feeling would have lasted if it just went on forever, and I'm eager to see how it resolves.

So Ragnarok is book of 6 issues, followed by a hiatus, then another book? At least three? Seems like a good plan to me. There was a long break between Books 1 and 2, as well.

positronic

These are some lists from the last couple of weeks of stuff I've been reading which I just copied from somewhere else I had posted them. (Doesn't mean I read them all the exact same day I first posted them, but somewhere in between one date and the next.)

April 10th
A.B.C. WARRIORS: RETURN TO EARTH HC
RO-BUSTERS: THE COMPLETE NUTS AND BOLTS VOL. 2 HC
A.B.C. WARRIORS: RETURN TO RO-BUSTERS HC
A.B.C. WARRIORS: THE MEK-FILES O2 HC
A.B.C. WARRIORS: RETURN TO MARS HC
A.B.C. WARRIORS: THE MEK-FILES O3 HC
ARCHIE'S FUNHOUSE SPRING ANNUAL #26
PLEASE TELL ME! GALKO-CHAN VOL. 1 TP

April 13th
JUDGE DREDD: THE CURSED EARTH UNCENSORED HC
SILVER SURFER #10
SUPER POWERS #6 (of 6)
DETECTIVE COMICS #954
WONDER WOMAN #20
PLANET OF THE APES/GREEN LANTERN #3 (of 6)
HELLBOY & THE B.P.R.D. 1954: GHOST MOON #2
RAGNAROK #12
JONESY #12
JUDGE DREDD: ORIGINS TP

April 20th
DURHAM RED: BITCH TP
STRONTIUM DOG: THE EARLY CASES TP
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #33 (final issue)
JEM & THE HOLOGRAMS #25 (of 26)
MICRONAUTS #11
BATMAN #21
BATWOMAN #2
STAR TREK/GREEN LANTERN (VOL.2) #5 (of 6)
ASTRO CITY #43
THE WILD STORM #3
EDGAR RICE BURROUGHS' THE GREATEST ADVENTURE #1 (of 6)
BLACK HAMMER #8
SHAOLIN COWBOY: WHO'LL STOP THE REIGN? #1 (of 4)
SKULL ISLAND: BIRTH OF KONG #1 (of ?)
STAR TREK: NEW VISIONS #15: THE TRAVELER
RESIDENT ALIEN TP VOL. 04: THE MAN WITH NO NAME
2000 AD'S GREATEST: CELEBRATING 40 YEARS TP
JUDGE DREDD: THE CAPE & COWL CRIMES TP
ARCHIE COMICS ANNUAL #278

I didn't write any notes on these when I first read them, so I'm not going to do that now, and sometimes I don't always have something to say about every one of them. But next time I post something I just read, I'll try to write a little something about at least some of them.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 23 April, 2017, 12:41:51 PM

For Walt I wait!

This series has always been worth the Walt.

Quite a satisfying conclusion to the 2nd arc, artwork has been sublime throughout.
I know that Simonson has an issue of Kamandi Challange coming up, it'll have to tide us over til 2018.

positronic

What, nobody read anything this week?

Here's mine (yes, I read far too many, I know):

WEEK OF 04-26-17:

JUDGE DREDD: JUDGMENT DAY TP - Not the greatest Dredd story. Suffers from the same kind of "event burnout" as Marvel and DC crossover stories... trying to up the stakes, the scope, the mass destruction with every new one. FIVE whole Mega-Cities got wiped out! Lucky thing they were the ones which hadn't any characters with their own series set in them, eh? This isn't the more careful, mature Garth Ennis, and it also suffers from the old "too many artists spoil the broth comic" syndrome.

FLASH #21 - This was the first actual issue of The Flash I've read since September 2011. Part 2 (of 4) of "The Button". What do the Watchmen have to do with the DC multiverse? Oh yeah, I guess they got an entry in Grant Morrison's Multiversity Handbook, so they're connected now. No idea where Psycho-Pirate popped back in from, but presumably the same place as Wally West and Eobard Thawne, (a.k.a. Professor Zoom, a.k.a. The Reverse-Flash) were hiding out for 5 years. Or maybe it had something to do Mr. Mxyzptlk? Johnny Thunder? Who knows, it's probably not leading anywhere anyway, if it's anything like those Superman crossovers that teased that something big was in the offing.

DETECTIVE COMICS #955 - "The League of Shadows" arc continues. Not as good as the previous 2 stories (now TPs) in this title. I may drop it if the next arc isn't better.

WONDER WOMAN #21 - Still haven't figured out what's going on in this book. Also wonder if Greg Rucka has. Nice artwork, though.

THANOS #6 - Not bad. Not as interesting as Jim Starlin's stories. But far more interesting than Jason Aaron's. Still, considering what else Marvel is publishing these days, this is far from the worst.

BEN REILLY THE SCARLET SPIDER #1 - Oh, the humanity! (Or the clonity! or something.) Forget it. It's junk.

MAN-THING #3 (of 5) - I was pretty dubious about this from the first issue, but I'm actually liking it more than I thought. More of a tongue-in-cheek approach than most Marvel readers would be willing to put up with though, I'd guess. This would be the very first of R. L. Stine's work I've read. I reckon it bears more of a kinship with Steve Gerber's work on the character than might be immediately obvious.

DOOM PATROL #6 - First issue I've read since #2. Nick Derinton turns in some nice artwork here. I can't really get into Gerard Way's writing, though. I always wind up feeling like I'm reading "Diet Grant Morrison".

GREAT LAKES AVENGERS #7 (of 7) - Another lighthearted, if inconsequential romp. Knew it wouldn't last. Deadpool shows up at the end to razz them when their franchise gets pulled.

KILL OR BE KILLED #8 - If you like Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips' work, you're probably already reading this. If you don't, then you don't, I guess. Always a good read for me. See, you don't really need TV. Just Brubaker/Phillips comics, which are like a good HBO or Showtime series.

SAVAGE DRAGON #223 - It's hard to see it unless you actually read it, but this is actually a pretty different superhero comic. Hard to overcome the decades of continuity to get onboard with it, though.

DOLLFACE #4 (of 4) - Alright, you got me. This miniseries turned out to be a waste of time.

FOREVER WAR #3 (of 6) - Pretty good, if a little dated now, SF story. Nice artwork.

BATMAN THE SHADOW #1 (of 6) - Why is The Shadow going around murdering people? Not criminals, just regular people. ??? That IS the mystery, I guess.

BATMAN 66 MEETS WONDER WOMAN 77 #4 (of 6) - This concludes Act 2 of a 3-act play. Act I (issues #1&2) took place in 1944, when the 1966 Batman was still an un-orphaned child, and Princess Diana was still Wonder Woman, fighting WWII; Act II is taking place in 1966, on Paradise Island (guest appearance by Diana's "little sister", Drusilla a.k.a. Wonder Girl); and for Act III, issues 5&6 will jump forward to 1977 (which explains how Batman '66 can meet Wonder Woman '77 without time-travel being involved). Tying all three acts together is the frequently-resurrected Ra's Al Ghul (and daughter Talia, a mere child in the first 2 issues), in his Batman '66 debut.

SCOOBY DOO TEAM UP #25 - Green Lantern/Green Arrow guest-star, and plenty of nose-tweaking of Denny O'Neil's "hard-travelling heroes" is had. Green Lantern is heard to say about Green Arrow, "Oh, here we go with the 'hideous moral cancer rotting our very souls' again..."

KAMANDI CHALLENGE #4 (of 12) - Not as interesting as I'd hoped. Luck of the draw when you've got a different creative team on each issue. But then you can't really follow the story if you don't buy all 12 of them, can you?

PATSY WALKER AKA HELLCAT #17 (of 17) - It was a fun book while it lasted. I wish there had been more with Hedy Wolfe and the whole thing about Patsy's mom turning her daughter into a series of comic book stories.

NICK FURY #1 - If I didn't hate the character*, I'd probably have liked this, since I generally enjoy James Robinson's work, and the art was good. *Trust me, you don't want to get me started.

X-MEN BLUE #1 & 2 - At least it's a little less grim than your typical X-Men comic. This is the Original 5, btw - "O5" for short. It's referenced in the comic. Still hard to care too much, but if you're not as jaded as I am about X-Men comics, then there's hope to be found here, I guess.

SPOOKHOUSE #4 - Lighthearted take on the classic-type horror comic short story. I like it, I like it a lot. Eric Powell masterminded this series, with help in this issue from Steve Mannion.

HILLBILLY #6 - Eric Powell is in full force here. He's got the ear for dialect. Backwoodsy horror drawn from an American folkloric tradition. Witches are traditional hags, but Rondel (hillbilly of the title) wields the Devil's Meat Cleaver (sort of like a hill-folk Thor). It's some fine stuff.

LOBSTER JOHNSON: THE PIRATE'S GHOST #2 (of 3) - Best of the "pulp hero"-style comics by longevity, although whenever Francavilla gets in the act with his Black Beetle or The Spirit, he's giving The Lobster (his name's not really Johnson; it's too complicated to explain) some serious competition. This story might just hold some small clues to The Lobster's origin and/or true identity, which up until now has remained a complete mystery.

ANNO DRACULA #2 (of 5) - This might be the best Titan comic I've seen yet. I'm a sucker for alt-history stories, though -- especially those with good writing and artwork, like this one has.

MICRONAUTS: WRATH OF KARZA #1 (of 5) - The previous IDW Micronauts series concluded with issue #11 last week, so this miniseries will carry on the story. Baron Karza wants the Earth as his new power base, and is prepared to wipe out humanity to replace the inhabitant with the survivors of the Microverse.

KONG OF SKULL ISLAND #10 (of 12) - It looks like we may have seen the young Kong's baptism of fire in this issue. Although it seems the natives of Skull Island still have to change their society somewhat before it resembles the one in the classic movie.

SPLITTING IMAGE! 80-PAGE GIANT (1-shot) - The parody here is dated (1993) in this all-reprint special, but Don Simpson is really an under-rated cartoonist whose work I sorely miss. And I have to give the Image founders credit for poking fun at themselves (or at least, Rob Liefeld and Jim Valentino for poking fun at the rest of them, along with themselves).

positronic

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 23 April, 2017, 12:39:51 PM
I have neglected this thread for too long...comic book dump incoming!

Bump-ump a dump! So what happened?

Theblazeuk

Positronic, I had burned out a little on Lobster Johnson (after the calamitous events of BPRD the stakes just seemed too small) but the promise of some small insight into the enigma of the man himself is luring me back!

This week I read Royal City and I'm going to pick up A.D #3 this weekend with the prog. Lemire's stuff is always lovely...

I also picked up Southern Cross TPB this week and whilst it was enjoyable, well-illustrated and a good take on the classic 'Event Horizon' style story, it felt a little rushed by the end. Not sure I'll bite for book 2.

Smith

Quote from: Smith on 27 April, 2017, 08:02:36 AM
Night Owl Society #1 A very interesting setup,but its so obviously a movie pitch its embarrassing.
Hook Jaw #5 That certainty ended with a bang. :)
X-O Manowar #2 Kindt isn't in a hurry,it seems.But this is one of the rare cases where decompression works,so...
Just to move that here.In other news,both Batman The Shadow #1 and Scarlet Spider #1 were both really disappointing.TmntU #9 was weird,but so is everything involving the pantheon.
Action Comics and Flash have been pretty good.
Note to self: Stop picking up number #1. ::)

positronic

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 27 April, 2017, 04:36:38 PM
Positronic, I had burned out a little on Lobster Johnson (after the calamitous events of BPRD the stakes just seemed too small) but the promise of some small insight into the enigma of the man himself is luring me back!

I've just recently figured out that the one-shot (and maybe even 2-issue) stories are real stand-alone stories that they can slot into the long hiatuses between Tonci Zonjic's 3- or 4-issue story arcs. Those are the only ones where you'll find the advancement of any clues or character developments.

On the other hand, it would be wrong to read LJ just for some kind of overall advancement on the mystery angle. I've a feeling the ultimate resolution to that may not really come until John Arcudi is within arm's length of the end of the Lobster's career.

I don't even KNOW for sure if those clues are in the offing in this story, but reporter Cindy was working on researching some clues, and the bad guys have somehow figured out she's important. One of the things she had found had to do with a pirate, and this arc has a pirate's ghost, so it seems likely there might be some connection. Whether it will be enough for anyone to formulate any viable theories is up in the air. I have some vague ideas myself, but they might have something to do with it, or be way out in left field.

There's still room for a lot of false trails or red herrings before anything resembling a real "origin story" might be realized. Somehow, the fact that the reader knows as little about the Lobster as the criminals he fights is part of the successful formula of this title. I think Arcudi's trying to emulate the mysterioso quality of the early 1930s Shadow novels, when readers spent years guessing about small clues about the Shadow's past that were peppered through various pulp novels.

TordelBack

Berlin #20: Every time one of these appears on the shelves I'm surprised and delighted it's still going, then when I read it I get annoyed it's not more than once in a blue moon (actually I think thiose are rather more frequent). This is a stonker of an installment, as parallel plots appear to be drawing together, circling faster around the sucking drain that is Hitler, a feeling highlighted by the saintly Joachim's ntenal recitation of Yeats's Second Coming, somewhat unusually presented here in its entirety. Lutes is a treasure, and his stamina remarkable.

Britannia Vol 2 #1: Lawks it's the second run and I'm still unsure about this, and still buying it. There's just enough Milligan goodness to outweigh the Milligan badness, but it's a fine line. Is Nero ever going to get some good press?  Not in this book.

Colin YNWA

Wow Positronic that's quite a pull list. How many titles are you getting a month? Some good stuff there - always nice to hear some love for the fantastic Hillbilly

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 April, 2017, 06:59:54 PM
Britannia Vol 2 #1: Lawks it's the second run and I'm still unsure about this, and still buying it. There's just enough Milligan goodness to outweigh the Milligan badness, but it's a fine line. Is Nero ever going to get some good press?  Not in this book.

Given my love of both Roman comics (comics set in the Roman Empire (or Republic I guess) and Pete Milligan you'd think I'd all over this but I'm getting tired of Roman comics that just lend on some super natural element or other. Just give me a straight historical damnit.