Main Menu

Meg 323 The Adjudicators.

Started by Zarjazzer, 21 April, 2012, 12:51:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Really good. Excellent cover by Mark Harrison. Dredd story The Ajudicators is one of the best -satirising capes (just in time for a certain superhero movie perhaps) yet also a fun read. Ezquerra triumphs again and Simon Spurrier's script sparkles. Samizdat Squad makes a welcome return with PJ Holden on art duties and it's a fine b&w/greytone opening to the new story. [spoiler]A crab/ train mecha at the end  -cool![/spoiler]

An article with Mark Millar ( for it is he) in which admits writing some of the worst 2000AD stories ever. However there's more on his latest works and why War Heroes ain't round for the moment.

Strange continues well but the ending seemed a bit abrupt.

A q&a with Bryan Hitch as well.

Even a certain Grant Goggans (of these 'ere boards) in the letters pages.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

I, Cosh

We never really die.

Taryn Tailz

Anyone know what the floppy is this month?

James Stacey

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: James Stacey on 21 April, 2012, 01:09:32 PM
Harry Kipling.

Cheers. Never read any Harry Kipling before so i may pick this months Meg up at some point.

TordelBack

Is it all of Kipling? (Surely there's too much for one floppy?). 'Cos if it was I might have to buy a hard copy.  I haven't kippled for ages. 

Trout

"I SMELL SPIN!"

Inspired writing from Si there, and not a duffer in the whole Meg this month. We have great ideas everywhere, typically-great art by Ezquerra, possibly the best work we've ever seen from PJ (IMO), a great cover, interviews worth reading (with a page layout and Q&A format that's easy on this sub-editor's eye) and a gripping and unpredictable story in Snapshot.

Strange and Darke is gorgeous, compelling and provocative, and came to a nice, er, climax. But my favourite moment in this Meg was a real WTF in Samizdat Squad.
We must keep Arthur Wyatt away from trains. The man is insane.

- Trout

I, Cosh

Cut and paste from the loser in the Meg-thread-starting stakes:

A surprisingly enjoyable Meg this morning. A vibrantly silly cover from Mark Harrison bursts forth from the plastic envelope presaging the fun within.

Breaking with years of tradition I flipped straight to the last story as none of the other stories had the same claim on my interest as the climax of Strange and Darke. I've really enjoyed this series. The conscious decision Colin Macneil's made to go with a sort of bawdy seaside style gives it a really interesting dynamic, like Beryl Cook's Garden of Earthly Delights or something. It ended well, despite the promise of plot threads that Mr Smith will take years to even think about following up and there was a moment in the middle of the episode which, even though I'd seen it coming, made me snort and chuckle in my own home. Good stuff.

The prospect of another Simon Spurrier Dredd pastiching some Marvel superheroes wasn't filling me with anticipation but I really enjoyed it. It was light, frothy fun which reminded me how much I sometimes miss the silly side of Dredd. I don't want to presume too much as I realise there is probably more to their working relationship than I appreciate but I thought it was telling that the art on this story was credited solely to Carlos as, to my eye, it's comfortably the best looking Ezquerra work I've seen in an age.

Wasn't as keen on Snapshot this month as last but happy to give it the benefit of not being American Reaper for another couple of months. Samizdat Squad was the real weak link in an otherwise decent line-up. Not sure how next month's Meg will bear up with two resolutely mediocre Dreddworld strips in town.
We never really die.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 21 April, 2012, 01:19:50 PM
Is it all of Kipling? (Surely there's too much for one floppy?). 'Cos if it was I might have to buy a hard copy.  I haven't kippled for ages.
No. Sadly, it omits the final story: Hitman and Hermoth (see Grant, it's obviously still a cornerstone of British culture.)
We never really die.

TordelBack

Eh, might still be enough to sway me.  A collected edition and more to the point a CONTINUATION of Harry Kipling would be very high on my 2000AD wishlist.  One of the great lost stories.

Trout

Proudhuff

ach, we don't care about all that!! has that Weegee got a letter in or not?  ;)
DDT did a job on me

pauljholden

There's an unused page for Samizdat on my blog today, if you'd like to have a look... http://www.pauljholden.com/blog/2012/04/21/samizdat-squad/

Hawkmumbler

Wondered if my letter has been published this month.
A Mr Zach Hawkins?

Trout

Letters from:

Ross Thrapnell, Merseyside; Grant Goggans, USA; Paul Harris, Kent; Michael Duffy, Blackpool; Antony Catton, Ripley; and Luke Williams, Llanelli.

No sign of Hawkmonger or Buttlickingman.