Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Still heads and shoulders above any politically themed discussion I've seen elsewhere on the internet

Smith

That's not a very high bar.

Theblazeuk

True, let me fix that-

Still heads and shoulders above any politically themed discussion I've seen elsewhere on the internet, the pages of most newspapers or at PMQs.

No, the bar is still pretty low.

The Legendary Shark

Let's face it, any thread that has the likes of me as one of its stars is never going to be winning any awards.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Well,points for honesty.  :)

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 24 March, 2017, 11:04:05 AM
For the more sapient members of the forum it goes a little something like this;

- Randomly open 'The Political Thread'.
- Shake head.
- Chuckle.
- Close 'The Political Thread'.
- Continue to never post in 'The Political Thread'.

I learnt a new word today. Sapient - well done that man.

It was a very sapient comment you made very sapiently (can you made a sapient into a sapiently?)

Tjm86

Only if its Pearwood.

TordelBack

Sharky's already got plenty of baggage.

The Legendary Shark

Nah, I divorced her years ago.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Nobody mentioned Slaine in a while,weird. :)

Hawkmumbler

The Legendary Shark

We didn't link it to any(thing else).

I'll get me woad.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Smith on 27 March, 2017, 08:44:35 AM
Nobody mentioned Slaine in a while,weird. :)

This particular Elephant in the Room was a troubled and lonely individual and i had a lot of sympathy for him.  But i have to say i don't really miss his rambling, obsessive posts and misogynistic language much.*

(*Possibly a bit rich coming from someone who was recently banned for using a particular word, though it's a word i always associate with awful men rather than the part of the female anatomy it literally means.)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

It's a perfectly cromulent word, and was an odd choice for censure here in particular when it appeared in a story in the Meg not so long ago, and it the context you used it almost the dictionary definition*.  But oddly I hardly ever use it myself. 

As we know, most if not all swearwords have their etymology in derogatory language used against groups of 'others', with the additional benefit of reminding everyone of the supposedly negative connotations of belonging to  that group (for example the now entirely acceptable sod and bugger, and their modern descendant 'gay').  As has been pointed out to me on this very forum, it's bizarre that I find 'cretin' and 'moron' are totally fine, but I can hardly bring myself to even type 'retard' or 'mong' and would never use them, despite all having essentially the same origin, just at different historical remove.

I suspect the C-word enjoys special protected status despite usually being applied in an entirely gender-neutral manner just because it is reserved for the most negative judgement one can pass, and predictably for our society, cognate with that most distinctive aspect of oh-so-contemptible female anatomy.

Personally I live for the day when I am banned from the HoloNet for calling someone a trumping farage.

*Although I happily defer to the CoC and its light-handed enforcement.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: TordelBack on 27 March, 2017, 10:52:46 AM
It's a perfectly cromulent word, and was an odd choice for censure here in particular when it appeared in a story in the Meg not so long ago

Thanks TB; I have to admit it's not a word I use often myself and indeed its inclusion in the Meg gave me some encouragement to swear freely on the board.  Like RTE 2, I used to use 'feck' a lot on this board, then changed it to its similar-sounding but far more profane brother when I realised that we were pretty much all adults here. But as for the other word; all I can say is that Farage, and his 'silver-backed gorilla' sex-offending friend Trump, bring out the worst in me.

I missed the warning, but fair enough; we were warned, and I fully respect the mods' decision.  I turn off the extreme swearing in front of my elderly parents, so I can for the board too.  Lesson learned.   

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"