Main Menu

Is there any satire in this film?

Started by ABCwarBOT, 19 June, 2012, 06:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

klute

Quote from: ABCwarBOT on 19 June, 2012, 06:47:26 PM
Like in the comics?

I'm not sure i'd want to see satire in the film personally........BUTTTTTTTT as long as the damn film is released,i get to see it,it's arsom then i could care less about the satire :)
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: klute on 19 June, 2012, 06:56:04 PM
Like in the comics?

I'm not sure i'd want to see satire in the film personally........BUTTTTTTTT as long as the damn film is released,i get to see it,it's arsom then i could care less about the satire :)

Why any self respecting Dredd fan wouldn't want to see some satire in the film is beyond me.    It'll just be a straight action film otherwise.

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think there is a bit of what I remember of reading the script. In the way that Dredd is such a cold bastard it's funny.

Like this one bit [spoiler]where he shoots a civilian so the bullet will go through and hit a fleeing perp and doesn't think twice about it.[/spoiler] That made me laugh.

I suppose it's all down to sense of humour.

COMMANDO FORCES

Bubba Zebill

Like in the comics?
They'll likely be sparing...but that one of the bigger blocks is called 'Prometheus'...I'd say that's a nod in the right direction considering that was one of the big films of the year and blown all out of proportion...
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

JOE SOAP

Stella Dave

Frank

Some people think the white van scene is ripping the pish.

JOE SOAP

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 09:32:34 PM
It's blue.

This is The West (internet), Soap. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.

ABCwarBOT

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 19 June, 2012, 07:15:14 PM
I think there is a bit of what I remember of reading the script. In the way that Dredd is such a cold bastard it's funny.

Like this one bit [spoiler]where he shoots a civilian so the bullet will go through and hit a fleeing perp and doesn't think twice about it.[/spoiler] That made me laugh.

I suppose it's all down to sense of humour.

I'll skip the spoiler as I'd rather watch it in the film but thanks for posting that.   Fingers crossed there's more bits like that then.   I'd like to see a few satirical adverts on buildings etc too (even if Robocop pinched the idea.....well of adverts anyway)

ABCwarBOT

Just realised.....some people might wonder how I could say we need more bits like that when I didn't see the spoiler.

Unfortunately I did see the spoiler as it showed up when I went to reply to MR ELIMINATOR'S message and I obviously read it without thinking.   The black line wasn't there in my reply and it had the words MR wrote.   Have to be aware of that in future.

Bubba Zebill

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 07:45:54 PM
That's more fan-wank than satire.
I'm not sure of the percentages of fan-wank to satire on this. But that 'Prometheus' is used there as the name of a block (at this time) is probably referencing the film 'Prometheus' and not the Titan. So I would say that's a nod in the direction of the humour we've come to expect in Dredd stories that make light of public figures and current events by referencing them. It's evidence of a type of humour that may prove to be satirical.
Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

Frank

Quote from: BOODA on 19 June, 2012, 09:54:29 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 19 June, 2012, 07:45:54 PM
That's more fan-wank than satire.
I'm not sure of the percentages of fan-wank to satire on this. But that 'Prometheus' is used there as the name of a block (at this time) is probably referencing the film 'Prometheus' and not the Titan. So I would say that's a nod in the direction of the humour we've come to expect in Dredd stories that make light of public figures and current events by referencing them. It's evidence of a type of humour that may prove to be satirical.

If Prometheus block is a ridiculously expensive folly, based on the design of a previous- more popular- building, and the first in a development of three magnificent edifices- that no-one actually wanted to go and live in, and were thus never completed- then that's satire.

If it's just a block name in the background, it's Quentin Tarantino's definition of fan-wank: "Commissioner Landis? This is Captain Cronenberg at the precinct house on the corner of Browning and Romero ..."