Main Menu

Asylum of the daleks

Started by The Monarch, 01 September, 2012, 08:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

I am reminded of that infamous scene in ultimate fantastic four in which Reed is tricked into visiting what he thinks is the real marvel universe.

Then zombie reed says EVER GET THE FEELING YOU'VE BEEN HAD?

Zarjazzer

Did not see the twist until too late. I liked it generally some bonkers bits and running around too much but it kept me watching. And Dinosaurs on a spaceship next week.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

JamesC

That was a pretty entertaining episode.

Criticisms are:

1. Not sure it made much sense. Why would the force field only be operable from within? How do they get the Daleks actually into the wards if the best they can do is shoot them at the planet via a big beam?

2. The character of Oswyn was rather overwritten and quite irritating.

SmallBlueThing

Honestly? Ive not enjoyed Dr Who in years, and certainly not since moffat and smith took over- but that, THAT, was magnificent. It would have been magnificeny if it had just been the new companion's first episode/backstory, had mad daleks and loads of daleks, and skaro and all that... but it had zombies in it too, so automatically is 50% better than it would have been otherwise. Just... Magnificent.

SBT

Misanthrope

Saturday nights are complete again.
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

Trout

Bags of fun. My daughter and I watched it together, and it was just the right level of creepy. There were shocks and a big twist, plus lots of running around.

I am so incredibly relieved that Doctor Who is back.

Leigh S

Have to watch on i player again... at least I feel like watching it again...

3 annoying things: 

Perky, perky, friends style, flirty, flirty... River Song was enough thanks.  I prefer it when people talked like people, not like people on TV.

Daleks new command set up - no wonder they cant ever take over the universe - Dalek Emperor, Dalek Supreme, Emperor Dalek, now a prime minister... make up your minds Daleks... 

Predator... why give him a new nickname?  one he hasnt heard of before... and deleting the Daleks memory of the Doctor is presumably only for any Daleks he meets after that point in time...? 

Good things :  Erm, deleting the Daleks memory of the Doctor... I know, contrary or what.

Matt Smith as always

New not new assistant was a lot better than expected, despite annoying point one.

mogzilla

loved it nice and creepy but didnt see many classic daleks seemed too focused on the bronze  ones unless i missed them other than being background clutter spent a good portion of the episode viewing minis bum as when she gets excited/scared she stands up and gets closer to the telly (better door than a window). is the new companion going to be a before she was a dalek companion or is it all a red herring?

rory and amy maritals patched up far too quickly.

mini mog doubly excited by the dinosaurs...i'm taping it so i can watch it child free hd.

Charlie boy

A fantastic opener and has me wondering what the importance of memory will be on the rest of the series; The Dr telling Amy to make them remember who she was before they were teleported down and Oswin, grinning to the camera as she sacrifices herself tells The Dr to remember her? Had me thinking of the Weeping Angels two parter- when The Dr told us all to watch his jacket before slipping out of it...
I can't describe how happy I am they got rid of Davies when they did. I mean, if he was still in charge, we probably would have had an opening episode by now were everybody was taking diet pills that were in fact aliens of some kind and before it had even aired, he would have stated in an interview that the whole purpose of said episode wasn't to give people a taste of what was to come but to hopefully sell merchandise such as backpacks based on the design of these aliens.
Oh wait...

pauljholden

I absolutely lOVED the episode... but

Quotethat the whole purpose of said episode wasn't to give people a taste of what was to come but to hopefully sell merchandise such as backpacks based on the design of these aliens.

When I saw the dead dudes with coats my first thought was "that's odd, how can they make a toy out of some dead guys - they look cool, but they're just normal corpses..."

Then [spoiler]They grew the eye ball and I thought "oh... like THAT!"[/spoiler]

Charlie boy

Quote from: mogzilla on 01 September, 2012, 09:29:55 PM
loved it nice and creepy but didnt see many classic daleks seemed too focused on the bronze  ones unless i missed them other than being background clutter spent a good portion of the episode viewing minis bum as when she gets excited/scared she stands up and gets closer to the telly (better door than a window). is the new companion going to be a before she was a dalek companion or is it all a red herring?

mini mog doubly excited by the dinosaurs...i'm taping it so i can watch it child free hd.
The new companion said she wanted to see the stars and crashed on her first trip (and didn't know who The Dr was) so it'll be interesting to see what's going to happen here.

Charlie boy

Quote from: Charlie boy on 01 September, 2012, 10:26:58 PM
Quote from: mogzilla on 01 September, 2012, 09:29:55 PM

The new companion said she wanted to see the stars and crashed on her first trip (and didn't know who The Dr was) so it'll be interesting to see what's going to happen here.
This reply should have the quote below, sorry. Couldn't seem to get it up properly. They could indeed make (cool) toys based on those characters but, unlike the Davies episode I pulled attention to and the interview were he admitted the whole point of the creatures was to sell a huge amount of backpacks etc, they were used in a very creepy and well written scene. By all means- make toys etc based on memorable scenes, but a writer shouldn't go into something thinking "Plot and development comes after merchandise."
Unless said writer is George Lucas or Russel T. Davies.

Charlie boy

Quote from: pauljholden on 01 September, 2012, 10:26:26 PM
I absolutely lOVED the episode... but

Quotethat the whole purpose of said episode wasn't to give people a taste of what was to come but to hopefully sell merchandise such as backpacks based on the design of these aliens.

When I saw the dead dudes with coats my first thought was "that's odd, how can they make a toy out of some dead guys - they look cool, but they're just normal corpses..."

Then [spoiler]They grew the eye ball and I thought "oh... like THAT!"[/spoiler]

SmallBlueThing

Quote from: Charlie boy on 01 September, 2012, 10:33:12 PM
They could indeed make (cool) toys based on those characters but, unlike the Davies episode I pulled attention to and the interview were he admitted the whole point of the creatures was to sell a huge amount of backpacks etc, they were used in a very creepy and well written scene. By all means- make toys etc based on memorable scenes, but a writer shouldn't go into something thinking "Plot and development comes after merchandise."
Unless said writer is George Lucas or Russel T. Davies.

Um... any chance of a link to, or a direct quote of, the interview where Davies says the adipose were created "to sell backpacks"? That really doesn't sound like something he'd say- at least not when there's someone recording him. I think you may be misquoting him, or may have misunderstood his point.

SBT

Charlie boy

Unfortunately my Googling to try and find this is bringing up various filler but I remember him saying outright once he saw the design of these creatures, he was excited because he knew they could be backpacks, pencil cases and various other things like this. It was this statement that had me thinking it was truly time for him to go. The episode itself was awful but hoping to sell merchandise off of it (I think the design only made it to squeezable stress-relief items) made it all the worse for me.