Main Menu

dinosaurs on a spaceship

Started by The Monarch, 08 September, 2012, 08:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Monarch

Riddell for companion please

Doctor killed someone...eep...

Zarjazzer

Maybe he's dead but I doubt it. Solomon's too good a baddie to be bumped off. I hope he returns (and the excellently voiced sarky robots). Good, fun episode with the Rory's Dad sitting on the steps of the Tardis drinking tea eating a sarnie and looking dahn at Earth my fave bit. New companions were great. Hope to see more of them as well.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Taryn Tailz

I think that was a fairly enjoyable episode. It did feel a bit like Chris Chibnall had thrown too many ideas into the melting pot however. Nefertiti and Riddell only seemed to be there to give Amy someone to talk to.

In the publicity photos in DWM I thought the Dinosaurs looked pretty poor. But in the actual episode they looked fantastic. Poor Tricey.   :'(
I was suprised to hear Mitchell and Webb as the voices of the robots. I don't remember there being any pre publicity about their involvement.

Charlie boy

I hadn't been looking forward to this one so much because I thought it looked a little too much of a "just for the youngsters" episode (I can find such episodes fun when I'm sitting with younger family members but I knew I wouldn't be tonight) but it was enjoyable. I'm going to agree with an earlier reply and say that I also hope Solomon returns and the shot of Rory's dad looking down on the Earth was definitely a nice touch.

Daveycandlish

Enjoyed that - although I would have liked Riddell to have been played by Rik Mayall in Lord Flashheart mode!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Trout

What a load of old shit. I loved it.

However, my dad phoned during the episode. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0hW_UQASjY

Foolish!

Colin YNWA

Fluff and nonsense. It was disposable and to be honest not the kind of fun fluff that Doctor Who can be. Just the rubbish sort. It tried so hard to be cute, but just felt laboured and stilted. My wife looked at me about 15 minutes in and said something like.

"Even though this seems like its written for you, even you can't be liking this one".

She was so right.

Still judging by early reaction seems like I'm just being a miserable grump so I'll shout up.

LARF

Just finished watching it with the family, we all ate ice cream and thoroughly enjoyed it. Now an argument is ensuing over which of my sons have bought Outpost: Black Sun on Sky Store, And how the heck the knew the pin number  :o

LARF

Addendum to the above, no one admitting to the deed, phoned Sky and they are calling me back tomorrow night to tell me the date and time when it was purchased...

On a Doctor Who note, it was truly a great episode and very funny in parts. Lovely Saturday night light entertainment, not great Who but not bad.

SmallBlueThing

I dunno- on the one hand, I've grown to really like Matt Smith's Doctor and I think he was at his best in this one. And the script was funny, I guess. And it had that fantastic gag about Rory's dad's balls- which I love because it has had a bit of a hand-grenade effect among Dr Who fans, causing them to splutter their tea, spill the biscuits and involuntarily kick off the tartan fleeces. But on the other... I'm not watching 'Friends' (the show Moffat really, really wishes he'd written) so why does everybody sound like they're auditioning for it? And why is Moffat forcing Chris Chibnall (who Dr Who fans hate) to write like Moffat, when he's capable of so much better than this and should be allowed to develop. And there weren't enough dinosaurs, and it unexpectedly had Mitchell and Webb in it- which if I'd've known, I'd've used as an excuse to have a bath while it was on. And none of it made any sense, and it existed entirely to fill 45 minutes of prime-time tv without a single thought towards anything more than being moving pictures in a box in the corner, with loud noises and shapes going pop, so we didn't turn over. Moffat's very good at making that kind of thing, I suppose. But to be honest, they may as well have broadcast a kaleidoscope and fart noises.

Today, the Dr Who Fan bit of my brain had an orgasm when I bought a copy of 'The Invasion From Space'- a 1966 hardback storybook featuring William Hartnell's Doctor that may be the first ever piece of commercially available long-form Dr Who fiction. I've been after this for literally half my life, if not longer- and I've finally secured a copy (if one that's so battered, it comes in three pieces. Doesn't matter one jot). That gives me far more pleasure than tonight's episode will probably ever do.

But next week looks good. As long as it does actually rip off Westworld, and not just use the surface iconography to entice the audience in, then batter them with rapid-fire 90s American sitcom cliches.

SBT

Dandontdare

I thought it was the first who episode in ages that actually DID make sense, a nice, straightforward story and great fun. Dinosaurs, robots, Silurians, a baddie who gets his comeuppance, a hot Nefertiti and some good comedy interplay between ' The ponds' - what's not to love?. Mark Williams in particular was very good, but Mitchell & Webb seemed rather pointlessly included.

NikolaiDante

Quote from: Dandontdare on 08 September, 2012, 11:23:09 PM
I thought it was the first who episode in ages that actually DID make sense, a nice, straightforward story and great fun. Dinosaurs, robots, Silurians, a baddie who gets his comeuppance, a hot Nefertiti and some good comedy interplay between ' The ponds' - what's not to love?. Mark Williams in particular was very good, but Mitchell & Webb seemed rather pointlessly included.

I watched this with my son (13) and his friend and we had a ball. We thought the camp robots added fun at first but then when they started getting violent it got a bit creepy ( in a good way). I didn't realise who the robots were voiced by but my son was in there like "hey that's M & W!".

"Dinosaurs on a Spaceship" - so cheesy but what a line!  Almost as good as "Clay Pidgeon shooting, with tanks"

Very silly, but a lot of fun.  Brought back memories of Tom Baker and K9. Ahhhhhhh

Barny

Support FUTUREQUAKE - it makes sense

M.I.K.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 08 September, 2012, 10:58:42 PM
But to be honest, they may as well have broadcast a kaleidoscope and fart noises.
Wasn't that how they did the original opening titles?

A.Cow

Expected a crappy one-joke-idea episode, like the pirates one.

Wow!  That was probably one of the best stand-alone Doctor Who episodes ever!  (And I speak as a Pertwee man, myself)

vzzbux

Enjoyed that. Good fun and showed that the doctor still has a dark vengeful side.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.