Main Menu

*NEWB* (2000ad thread juve-or sub basement dwellers) film discussion thread

Started by adogg4629, 26 September, 2012, 06:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adogg4629

Because a lot of us are still in the sub basement and cannot participate in the grownup threads about the film on this forum yet, I'm hoping that this little thread can give all us *newbs* a chance to talk about the film with this thread (because I know we are ALL itching to).  I hope that the Mega Thread one justice department (the moderators) will be nice enough to let us keep this one open to the other *newbs* like us if it becomes popular.

That being said, I have been a fan od Judge Dredd since the late '80s and have loved the slow character arc that Joe has undergone over the years.  I was wholly impressed that this film decided to do a take on the early Judge Dredd (sans Maria and Walter).  There was a scene in the film that really brought his character home to me, and it's not one I've seen people talk a lot about on this thread or the infamous IMDB thread.

While Mama and her crew prepare the gatling cannon attack on level 79 (I think), Dredd walks the hall alone.  He's calm, but knows that something big is about to happen.  We see the citizens scurry away from him, latching their doors and hitting the deck.  They know something's up too.  In that moment, when we see him from behind, walking slowly, Urban nails Dredd in a way I didn't think possible.  Every subtly body movement conveys control and menace.  He doesn't need a gun.  Nor does he need to speak loudly.  Or even say a word.  He is just the embodiment of the LAW of Mega City one.

It is a moment of acting genius that many who don't already have expectations of the character of Dredd would miss.  But to me, who has wanted to see somebody nail him on the big screen for so long, this alone was worth the price of admission.

Best,

Aaorn

AlpineNewt

Good idea adogg.

I know many don't rate the opening chase seen too highly - what with the modern vehicles and such - but I loved it. I think it set the character up perfectly, Dredd's a hard bastard who won't stop until your cubed or dead and doesn't need any help doing it. I really couldn't help but grin all the way through that scene.

Alpine

Rusty

Quote from: AlpineNewt on 27 September, 2012, 07:52:53 PM
Good idea adogg.

I know many don't rate the opening chase seen too highly - what with the modern vehicles and such - but I loved it. I think it set the character up perfectly, Dredd's a hard bastard who won't stop until your cubed or dead and doesn't need any help doing it. I really couldn't help but grin all the way through that scene.

Alpine
The opening is probably the best part in the entire film for me. In fact, it's arguably one of the best opening scenes in a film that I've ever watched. It had everything to set up all that you need to know in just a few minutes. The scene with the desert and the city in the background with the wall as the drone of the intro music kicked in was amazing. Everything about that sequence was just genius in terms of editing. From Dredd's voice over, to the overhead views of MC1, and the music that went with it. Then we see Dredd on that beast of a bike weaving in and out of traffic following the van. Then the perps in the van realise they are being followed by a judge, and straight away you can hear the fear in their voices. You know then that the judges are not to be messed with, even if you are heavily armed like they were. Then of course there's the line between Dredd and control: "Do you require back up?" - "NO!" It's those sort of lines that only the best cult classics can deliver.

AlpineNewt

adogg4629

QuoteThe opening is probably the best part in the entire film for me.

I must admit that the Lawmaster weaving in an out of traffic was a sight to see.  And the SFX they used to punch it up really was fantastic.  I now hum it quietly to myself every time I see a bike weaving in and out of traffic on the 405.

Aaron

Mabs

Cool idea for a thread! Its a shame we can't post our views on the main threads yet.  :(

Anyhow, I loved the film! It was a non-stop, visceral, ultra-violent, ultra-kick a** thrill ride! I wrote a review of it for a film forum recently and thought i'd post it below if thats okay.

Wow! What a thrill ride! Visceral, bloody, depraved, beautiful (yes beautiful!), but most of all - awesome! Right from the offset from that thrilling opening Lawmaster/ car chase, to the closing scenes of Ma Ma's face getting beautifully splattered on the screen - I was on the edge of my seat, gripping my arm rest like a maniac. I was utterly thrilled, immersed into this nightmarish vision of Mega City, filled with crime, disease and decay. 

It was like Judge Dredd in The City of God.

The action and violence was unrelenting. No flinching from the brutality of it, but made strangely beautiful by the drug induced slo-mo scenes. And for those scenes alone, the choice of 3D was the right choice. You cannot view it any other way. It is visually arresting. Look at the scene of Ma-Ma in the bath, the water droplets dancing like minature planets in orbit,  enhanced further by  that beautiful, uplifting music - visual poetry. Who would've expected to see such beauty in an 'action' flick?

Karl Urban was brilliant as Dredd - his gruff one liners, and ''yeah''s reminded me of Eastwood. The decision to keep his helmet on at all times (save the begining - and even then we don't see his face as it's obscured by shadow) is a good choice. It makes the character more mysterious and harken's back to the comics - we even get Karl Urban grimacing like Dredd - he gets the character down to a T. He is coolness personified. Check out the look on Ma Ma's face when Dredd - after taking a whole floor out to kill Dredd with their firepower -  emerges unscathed from the smoke and cooly throws a baddie over the side! The look on her face shows that she has totally underestimated Dredd. And Dredd is not a man - he is The Law!

Olivia Thirlby as the rookie Anderson was superb and a joy to watch . I don't think i've seen her prior, but what a great choice she was for this role (I wont lie when I say i've fallen in love with her!) And her psychic abilities are awesome to say the least - especially in one stand out scene with the goon they're transporting. How cool was that?! And Lena Headey? This is quite possibly the best role she has played. I believed her as a ruthless, methodical, no bull, head of a drug empire. Her criminal persona like a flip side to Dredd's upholding of law. She was perfect for this role and by the end, I even had a little sympathy for her because she was a product of her environment.

Regarding the look of the film, Pete Travis captures the sprawling  vision of Mega City  with its massive block rising up to the sky like rows of concrete colussus' brilliantly. A concrete jungle -  a chilling look into the future, a future wherin over-population, crime, decay run rampant. And the scenes of a skating ramp hundreds of kilometres up in the middle of the sky-scraper showed the insanity of it all. I think his decision to shoot the film in South Africa brought an air of believability to the whole film.

I loved the music (by Paul Leonard-Morgan) for the film too, and thought it complemented the film perfectly. Especially in those tense action scenes.

Finally Judge Dredd has a film worthy of his legendary name! I admit there are a few minor quibbles, the film's low budget does show in some places, but in a way it makes it more gritty and real. And therefore the experience was more thrilling, than if it were a big budget film. And of course with bigger budget comes the pressure to dial down the violence - compromising the directors vision in the process. In an age where the whole film industry is filled with 12 rated fodder - Dredd is a breath of fresh air. I wish Dredd becomes a success, and hopefully it can signal a change for Hollywood to make more comic-book/ science-fiction/ action film's for adult's. As for Dredd, I really hope we get a sequel. The Dredd universe is so rich that the possibilties are endless -  Judge Dredd kicking a** on Cursed Earth?  Now there's a film I would gladly go pay to see.

DREDD 4/5
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

So a wicked film as a whole! I think the film's comparison to The Raid is a tad unfair as both went into production at roughly around the same time. I thought it was a sterling effort from Pete Travis. I did have a thought though, if (hopefully) we do get a sequel,  I believe the director's vision would be to stay in stylistic tone as the first film. But would there be room for character's like Judge Death or Walter to appear, seeing as Travis' film is grounded in a certain reality?

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Quote from: AlpineNewt on 27 September, 2012, 07:52:53 PM
Good idea adogg.

Alpine

I loved the opening scene! I thought it set up the film perfectly, from the moment the perps hit that poor sod and splatter his remains on the windscreen, you knew you were in for one hell of a ride! You knew this is a Dredd film nothing like what you've seen before.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

AlpineNewt

Quote from: Mabs on 29 September, 2012, 08:19:26 PM

And the scenes of a skating ramp hundreds of kilometres up in the middle of the sky-scraper showed the insanity of it all. I think his decision to shoot the film in South Africa brought an air of believability to the whole film.

For me that was a pretty scary scene. Can't stand heights!

Mabs

Quote from: AlpineNewt on 30 September, 2012, 06:22:42 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 29 September, 2012, 08:19:26 PM

And the scenes of a skating ramp hundreds of kilometres up in the middle of the sky-scraper showed the insanity of it all. I think his decision to shoot the film in South Africa brought an air of believability to the whole film.

For me that was a pretty scary scene. Can't stand heights!

I concur! Those kids had some guts! If it was me i'd by lying flat on the floor praying to Grud! :D I have a phobia of heights, just the thought makes me queasy  :(

My Twitter @nexuswookie

adogg4629

QuoteIt was like Judge Dredd in The City of God.

I like that.  It would really be something if the producers were able to launch a TV series of this (akin to City of Men), focusing on the lives of the people in that big MEG.  I liked your write up.

Aaron

Mabs

Quote from: adogg4629 on 01 October, 2012, 05:45:26 PM
QuoteIt was like Judge Dredd in The City of God.

I like that.  It would really be something if the producers were able to launch a TV series of this (akin to City of Men), focusing on the lives of the people in that big MEG.  I liked your write up.

Aaron

Thanks mate! Thats the first thing which hit me when watching it, that it seemed so real, like it was taking place in some of the most deprived and dangerous place in the world. And Ciry of God was the first thing which popped into my head (a brilliant film by the way). Its as if the writer/ director gave us a glimpse into our nightmare future. Thats one of the reasons why I found the film so thrilling and visceral (not to mention scary aswell!).

My Twitter @nexuswookie

MrHorizontal

Yeah - I got so annoyed with Tony Smith's 'meh' review over at the Register (http://www.reghardware.com/2012/09/07/dredd_3d_film_review/), but with him stating he is a fan and actually making positive comments to the Stallone film tipped me over the edge enough that I decided to do something about it.

Anyway, I've reposted my riposte review for posterity below, though now I've started re-reading Dredd I've realised I've made a few mistakes, like the fact the lawgiver is indeed accurately sized (I seemed to remember as a wide-eyed 12 year old that it was a lot bigger).

In the process, I may also upset some people here with the content and tone. If it does, I apologise in advance, but I think I make the point...

QuoteI'm a 2000AD fan and totally despised Stallone's attempt. Mega City is a dystopia, and Judges are outnumbered, so how would you portray the world? The gritty, grotty dystopia portrayed in this film fits the bill perfectly as the gaudy shiny happy things that make other SF totally fail in my opinion, and makes them look, quite frankly, terrible. The film provides a perfect setting of Mega City One. Sure there could be a few more notions of 'future' put in, but that's just a matter of budget and in reality don't add anything meaningful to a film other than opportunities for product placement.

Yes, there are some things I would have made better. Dredd's bike could be a bit more of a monster - some hybrid of a Harley Davidson and the Batman Tumbler batbike minus the ridiculous gold trimmings in the comic would have been much more awesome than the Japanese tin that was used in the film. The lawgiver also didn't look mean enough to dish out Dredd law. That said, the crappy eagle and chain on the judge's uniform being removed and his general look to a more practical flak jacket, is actually worthwhile - even in the comic it looks unrealistic, unwieldy and crap. Similarly with the battle scarred helmet and dusty uniform just adds to how Judges are fighting a never ending battle - so I think 2012 Dredd makes him look better, more realistic and more potent as a result.

My view is that a lot of the aspects of the comic were well placed, and well thought out too, from the chopper posters, to the portrayal of fatties and so forth. The story didn't really lend itself to telling the story of Mega City, so only parting shots were shown to allow the viewers to concentrate on what's happening in the block. Tony Smith's view that Garland has pared down Dredd to any commando tough cop is ridiculous. What is Dredd other than the epitome of exactly that? The one liners were delivered, without being made into the climax of a ridiculous set piece as are cliches epitomised by Bond. Dredd delivers one liners in the dry, laconic and as a matter of fact manner we know and love, and that portrays his personality better as a result. The ending of the film is also typical Dredd: to paraphrase not to ruin it [spoiler]'just another day in the office, ma'am'[/spoiler] - short, sharp, succinct and 100% pure unadulterated Dredd.

Anderson's portrayal is admirable too. A slightly more fragile judge with a different take on the law than Dredd is apparent, and quite frankly great even though somewhat different (better IMO) than the comic. From the [spoiler]visit into the mind[/spoiler] to the [spoiler]'wait'[/spoiler] sequence, she develops in the film from a fragile no-hoper to a deliciously mean mind fucker, and in the process begins to overrule Dredd [spoiler]'He's a victim, not a perp'[/spoiler]. Naturally Dredd mostly gets his way [spoiler](third option: attack)[/spoiler] that any other Judge wouldn't logically choose and only Dredd would, could and does.

As a big fan of Drive, the artistic breaks shown in the slo-mo sequences were brilliant to give the viewer a totally unexpected, beautiful and welcome break from the relentlessness of the film. The director kept it tight and sweet without any lingering, yet in the process the artistic violence makes John Woo's best look like Bambi. The story is deeper than a simple take the block, but the fact it is so tight and doesn't linger too long in back stories that will only confuse non-Dredd readers leaves it open to make Dredd the franchise that he deserves. That said, the story is complete, with plenty of points of views to keep it interesting. Garland has made a story that isn't Garland-esque and generally slow and boring, but genuine and relentless.

Again, I disagree with Tony Smith - this film has not been made for the mass market at all. You have to like violence and gore. You have to appreciate Dredd is a cornier toon than Dirty Harry. You have to appreciate beautiful cinematography and you have to be able to think outside of the comic and into an original perception of Dredd's world if your a fan. But I think it's all done so brilliantly, it's actually in my view, an even more gritty and realistic view of Dredd's world than the comic.

Lastly Karl Urban's intimate knowledge having grown up himself reading Dredd does give the character the treatment he deserves. In fact, as an actor he's got into Dredd's carcass so well this is an award-winning performance - you don't really need to say more than that. He never takes the helmet off apart from the aforementioned shadow shot where he's putting it on. The chin, the voice, the grimace and Dredd's single minded 'Justice' and dryness is all perfect.

So no, Tony, I totally disagree with your critique. Justice has finally been done on film to the ultimate law giver. It's gritty, relentless, beautiful and makes absolutely bugger all attempt to appease itself to the mass market by fully embracing the violence and gore deserving an 18. It is so unexpectedly good and so astonishingly exceeding my expectations it really is fantastic.

Lets hope something similar will be done to my personal favourite 2000AD character: Rogue Trooper.

adogg4629

I hear you on some of those issues, but for me I forgot about them quickly once the film got going.  I agree with the choice of making the city less dense.  I am hoping that if (by some miracle) there is a sequel they can populate the skyline a bit more, but it is important to convey the scale of things and if it was too dense that would've been an issue.

Aaron

Cursed Earth Dweller

This thread couldn't have come at a better time, turns out my local cinema is showing an early midnight screening this friday and saturday before Dredd officially premiers in Holland on October 11, and on my birthday too! Woo hoo, awesome as der cucumber or what!

I'll tell you guys what I thought of it when I get back but I am pretty sure I'm bound to love it.

adogg4629