Main Menu

Dark Justice League film?

Started by Goaty, 02 November, 2012, 02:42:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

OOh I like that... very original?

Guillermo del Toro has long hinted that he'd like to direct another comic-book adaptation, and with Warner Bros extremely impressed by his work on Pacific Rim, the studio has apparently invited him to take his pick from their roster of available studio projects.

However, del Toro has not opted for the seemingly obvious choice of helming Justice League, but has another comic-book adaptation in mind. One devised entirely by himself...

Del Toro's idea is to combine a number of DC's magical, monstrous and ghostly superhero properties into an all-new team-up movie, tentatively titled Heaven Sent.

The film would draw upon characters such as Hellblazer, Swamp Thing, The Spectre, Deadman, Phantom Stranger and many more to create a whole new property to rival both Justice League and The Avengers.

Naturally there are a whole heap of legal hurdles to be overcome before this can become a reality, but Warner Bros reportedly has its lawyers attempting to disentangle the various rights agreements to work out whether such a project would be possible.

Whether it comes to pass or not, it's certainly one of the more original approaches to a comic-book license in recent years, and would be a great way of giving some under-used characters some welcome exposure. Over to you, Warner...

http://www.totalfilm.com/news/guillermo-del-toro-in-line-to-direct-dc-comics-super-team-up-movie

Dandontdare

I cannot think of a group of comic charactes less suited to a team-up movie. Sorry, much as I love all of those guys, few of the general public will have heard of them. I suspect this is terrible idea for a movie.

Goaty

Well, it's good gamble as I never read or hear of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy  :-\

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Goaty on 02 November, 2012, 02:42:59 PM
The film would draw upon characters such as Hellblazer...

Tsk. Sloppy journalism, there. There's no such character as 'Hellblazer.'
@jamesfeistdraws

Fisticuffs

How close do you think we are to suffering Comic-movie-fatigue?

JamesC

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 02 November, 2012, 03:19:51 PM
How close do you think we are to suffering Comic-movie-fatigue?

I don't think we'll get fatique but I predict that video game movies will be the next big thing.
Yes they've always been pretty shit in the past but if the Assassin's Creed and Metal Gear films turn out even half decent and HALO ever gets out of production hell then I'd expect a similar level of blockbuster saturation as we've had with comic based films.

SmallBlueThing

While this is an UNBELIEVABLY bad idea, sure to never happen and even if it did happen sure to be atrocious, the part of me that loves Swampy, Deadman, Phantom Stranger and John Constantine is jumping for joy. But it sounds AWFUL. I demand keanu for johnny again, and in the absence of dick durock arnold schwarzenegger as swamp thing: "make like der tree, unt leave ass-hole! Hurr hurr hurr!"

SBT

Professor Bear

It's "make like a tree and fuck off"  - GET WITH IT, GRANDAD.

I do not think I would like such a movie, but I think such a movie would be very popular, and is the next logical step in superteam movies, which have become the current "thing" for a Hollywood scared shitless of taking chances: a bunch of bankable characters or stars in a single film.  Avengers, Oceans 11-13, Star Wars, Guardians of the Galaxy - a magic-themed outing seems a logical step, though I would have thought they'd try something more easily achieved like a team-up between slasher movie monsters and aim for the horror audience, who have a notably low bar and low expectations so the actual film wouldn't have to be much good.

Charlie boy

I can't see this movie happening, and for good reason.

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 02 November, 2012, 03:42:58 PM
I demand keanu for johnny again

I can't even tell when you're jopking anymore. This abomination made Stallone's Dredd look like inspired casting. "Who can we get to play a miserable sarcastic scouse ex-punk? I know, how about half of Bill'n'Ted?"

Professor Bear

I thought Keanu's John Constantine was fine - it was the film that wasn't up to much.

SmallBlueThing

Ive never seen constantine all the way through, because it was bloody awful and had keanu reeves in it- other than BS Dracula, has keanu ever been in a decent film?

Hellblazer should be a ch4 tv series anyway. And swamp thing should never, ever, be filmed again.

SBT

JamesC

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 02 November, 2012, 05:07:41 PM
Ive never seen constantine all the way through, because it was bloody awful and had keanu reeves in it- other than BS Dracula, has keanu ever been in a decent film?

SBT

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is a decent film.

Some people would argue The Matrix but I was never a fan.

SmallBlueThing

There you go you see, what with being older than fourteen when bill and ted came out, i think it's bloody awful. But horses for courses, and how anyone thought he'd be okay for constantine is a hollywood mystery- one of those wherein they changed the source material so much it was hardly worth paying the fee not to be sued in the first place.

SBT

Colin YNWA

I think each of those characters has potential in a film in their own right (well not sure how well the Phantom Stranger would work) I can't see how in a group effort they'd get enough space to be explored properly. Still interesting that its even being considered and Del Toro does make good films ...

...mind so did Ange Lee too...