Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: DrRocka on 04 March, 2017, 10:06:40 AM
Took me 13 episodes to figure that out, Sharkie
Maybe it's because I've been reading Future Shocks since I was eight years old, but I got that on the second line of your description as well.  Though having read bits of stories from said age but with incomplete runs of progs at the time (so I knew how they ended up before reading the beginning of many of them) that wouldn't put me off watching it at some point.

sheridan

Quote from: JLC on 03 March, 2017, 02:50:19 PM
Doctor Who, watching it from the beginning!  :o
I did that a few years ago (for the fiftieth anniversary) - just managed to get up to date by the anniversary!  How far have you gotten so far?

Tjm86

Just started a rerun of B5 from the start.  Always a little bugged that the DVD soundtrack for the pilot is different to the VHS release.  Never did get why.

The early episodes are interesting standalone with subtle crumbs being lain out.  It's interesting how some of the topics still resonate.  The growth of the Home Guard and isolationism.  I think the biggest laugh though has to be the CRT displays everywhere.  Set a couple of hundred years in the future and twenty odd years later behind the times on the tech front!

Rara Avis

Do you mean this one?

https://youtu.be/lNaqxREbzy4

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 March, 2017, 08:02:41 PM
Oh god, I think I'd blocked the Irish town from my memory

Damn You!

JLC

Quote from: sheridan on 04 March, 2017, 04:45:56 PM
Quote from: JLC on 03 March, 2017, 02:50:19 PM
Doctor Who, watching it from the beginning!  :o
I did that a few years ago (for the fiftieth anniversary) - just managed to get up to date by the anniversary!  How far have you gotten so far?
Just finished The Space Museum

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 March, 2017, 07:52:09 PM
If memory serves, the point where I lost faith in Voyager was the episode set entirely in Paris' 1950s pulp-sci fi holodeck program, when I decided they'd finally run out of ideas.

As someone who barely watched any Voyager, those were my favourites.

Smith

There was a lot of holodeck episodes. ::)

von Boom

Still not as bad as Enterprise. The entire series was a holodeck episode in the end.

Tony Angelino

If you have the Discovery Wild channel then I'm sure no one needs reminded that it is Big Cat week.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: von Boom on 07 March, 2017, 04:46:12 PM
Still not as bad as Enterprise. The entire series was a holodeck episode in the end.

I've seen that mentioned before. I always just read it that the last episode was a holodeck recreation. Everything else was for reals.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

Yes, just the last episode was set in the TNG Enterprise's holodeck and, even then, was presented as a recreation of actual events.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 07 March, 2017, 05:59:30 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 07 March, 2017, 04:46:12 PM

I've seen that mentioned before. I always just read it that the last episode was a holodeck recreation. Everything else was for reals.

It still felt like a whopping let down in the end. Well, it did for me anyhow...

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, that last episode was a bit pants with an old, fat Riker trying to look young and slim, holding his belly in and walking around as if unsure of his bowels. The rest of Enterprise, to me, though, was mostly tip-top.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Well,Enterprise is a bit better then fans give it credit for,

von Boom

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 07 March, 2017, 06:27:44 PM
Yeah, that last episode was a bit pants with an old, fat Riker trying to look young and slim, holding his belly in and walking around as if unsure of his bowels. The rest of Enterprise, to me, though, was mostly tip-top.

Exactly. If they had used anyone else than Riker I think it would have worked better, but Riker is just sad enough to have wasted his time watching that much holodeck while munching Romulan crisps. That's what gives the impression that the entire series was just holodeck.