Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Yes, I think that's how I feel as well. BB was great in its own way, as is BCS. To me, BCS is the story of a man trying to do things the right way, the way his beloved brother does, but being forever foiled by his own nature. By the time we get to BB, Saul's already given in to doing things in the way he's good at but in BCS we're watching him struggle to find his path. I find that fascinating, even though we know the outcome. If anyone hasn't seen BB, I think watching BCS first would make both series more enjoyable.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Tony Angelino

Does anyone think with BCS that there should be more scenes set in the present?

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2017, 09:59:22 AM
...the way his beloved brother does..

His vile hateful envious vindictive conceited manipulative utter shit of a beloved brother, that is. For my money Chuck is one of the greatest TV baddies ever created. Boo, hiss!

The Legendary Shark

Heh, hear, hear! Even after [spoiler] the revelation that it's Chuck who's been torpedoing his chances at the law firm all those years and not the smarmy git[/spoiler] he still loves the bugger. That is so human.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 01 April, 2017, 12:44:12 PM
Well I finally got around to watching Kneale's Beasts anthology. Intended to watch one episode a day but ended up watching all 6 (plus the pilot) episodes in a day. Utterly gripping little one off plays, not a dud among them and watching Inside N0. 9 on TV right now I have to wonder if Shearsmith is a fan.

I guess in chronological order, the pilot Murrain was a delightful little supernatural tale, somewhere between Witchfinder General and The Wicker Man, with a lovely little bit of poetic justice in the final scene. Onto the series itself, Baby actually felt like a sister piece to Murrain, and was a damn good haunting come witchy thriller with a genuinely nasty twist at the end. 10 year old me would have been traumatized for life!

Buddyboy was arguably the one I liked the least, but it's premise was mad enough to keep me invested anyway, [spoiler]not often you'll see a play about a millionaire haunted by an empty dolphin pool.[/spoiler]. The Dummy is the crowning gem of the series, and one of the finest satires i've ever seen. That Kneale really didn't like hammer studios, did he?!

Special Offer and What Big Eye's are both highly competent mysteries, with some wonderful casting in both (Patrick Magee's barmy Lychanthrop researcher in WBE's is particularly brilliant). Both pale in comparison however to the brilliance that was During Barty's Party, which rivals anything by Hitchcock in terms of it's tense atmosphere and subtle scares, trimmed back cast and use of sets. If not for The Dummy, it would be the best of any given anthology series.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend picking up the DVD before it goes OOP, it's absolutely brilliant!

I bought this based on your recommendation and it's a mixed bag. Not watched all of them yet, but they do suffer all the faults of 70s British telly - low budgets and a fair bit of overacting. However, if you like Hammer House of Horror or Tales of the Unexpected, you'd get a kick out of these.

Baby was pretty dire - lots of frantic telegraphing of imminent doom and a final reveal that was just a rather silly rubber monster. I quite liked Buddyboy for the bizarre premise and the performances (I love watching posh, Rada-trained British thesps trying to do working class thugs!).

The dummy was good - how do you get around your monsters looking like a guy in a rubber suit? Write a story about a horror actor in a possessed rubber monster suit! Genius! I'd totally agree with your comments on Special Offer and What Big Eye's. The rest are yet to come, but overall these weren't as good as I'd been expecting - certainly no Quatermass

The Legendary Shark

I seem to have a vague memory of these - was there one about rats in the walls starring Elaine Stritch?
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 27 April, 2017, 07:51:00 PM
I seem to have a vague memory of these - was there one about rats in the walls starring Elaine Stritch?
Thats the last episode, and one of the best, has some very unique plot devices and a genuinly nasty final moment.

I contest that the series is no collection masterpieces (but I do adore The Dummy, such a mad little serial), but certainly deserves more recognition than it's current pedigree permits it.

The Legendary Shark

I remember being terrified by the rats one and the Dummy - I'll have to keep an eye out for these. I looked on some torrent sites and it's there but has no seeds.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Aaaargh - just realised I cut and pasted some of your titles including a rogue apostrophe. Oh, the shame!  :-[

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 27 April, 2017, 08:21:42 PM
Aaaargh - just realised I cut and pasted some of your titles including a rogue apostrophe. Oh, the shame!  :-[
Lesson of the day, never copy and paste from a dude with dyslexia!

Mardroid

Iron Fist on Netflix.

I've seen a lot of criticisms concerning this series, but I enjoyed it. I think it helps that I binge these shows though, as I can see how watching certain episodes on a weekly basis could really drag.

[spoiler]That twist at the end of the series concerning Colleen Wing seemed a bit out of nowhere though. Had they planned that deal with the character from the start, or did they just think "oh this would be an interesting twist..." later? I just found it a bit difficult to believe considering how we are introduced to the character.[/spoiler]

I look forward to seeing these characters team up in Defenders!

PsychoGoatee

Just watched Spaced for the second time over the past couple days, so damn good! Been a good decade or more since I first watched it. Give Nick Frost every role, he's so damn good, make him the next Doctor. Everybody is great on that.

Any comedies in the ballpark of as creative/clever/great as that in the past fifteen years? It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the next best I can think of. I've heard Black Books is good, haven't checked that out yet.

PsychoGoatee

Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, can't forget that one.

Rara Avis

It's Always Sunny is in a league of it's own.

Have you watched Parks and Rec? Nathan for One? Letterkenny?

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 08 May, 2017, 10:29:38 PM

Any comedies in the ballpark of as creative/clever/great as that in the past fifteen years? It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is the next best I can think of. I've heard Black Books is good, haven't checked that out yet.

Dandontdare

Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 08 May, 2017, 10:29:38 PM
Just watched Spaced for the second time over the past couple days, so damn good! Been a good decade or more since I first watched it. Give Nick Frost every role, he's so damn good, make him the next Doctor. Everybody is great on that.

I adore Spaced - it's been a while since I watched the whole thing, but I often put the "night out clubbing" epsidode on. That almost wordless second half encapsulates PERFECTLYa night out clubbing with mates (including the guy who bullied you into it 'cos you didn't really fancy it). And it's the only sitcom which acknowledges the pain of Johnny Apha's death.