Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2017, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 March, 2017, 08:14:31 PM
Also, the DVD I picked up from 101 contained Ghostwatch (1992), another under appreciated made for TV movie that really needs more love.

hah - wouldn't call it a classic (it's got Mike bloody Reid in it FFS) but I remember all the hoo-hah when that was first broadcast as thousands of outraged viewers rang to complain that they had been scared under false pretences!
To be fair, it does have some of the most effective subliminal scares. The titular ghost, Pipes, appears throughout the movie, never in a jump scare but just out the corner of your eye, or in a crowd, or reflected in a mirror. It's actually quite unsettling once you see he's there.

CrazyFoxMachine

LG and I just finished the fourth series of the Golden Girls. Despite being full of 80s TV pop culture references, being principally about privileged Miami pensioners and awash with inoffensive pastel colours this has aged brilliantly. The characters are strong, the morals are high (dealing with everything from addiction and homelessness all the way through to astonishingly mature debates of LGBT issues) and all four leads are astoundingly quick, making even the most obvious joke shine. I started watching the first series years ago due it being Mitch Hurwitz's first TV work and I thought it would be shite but honestly it has properly grown on me.

Then to find out there's a Golden Girls cafe opened up in New York.... hmmm

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 15 March, 2017, 12:47:00 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2017, 12:26:25 PM
Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 March, 2017, 08:14:31 PM
Also, the DVD I picked up from 101 contained Ghostwatch (1992), another under appreciated made for TV movie that really needs more love.

hah - wouldn't call it a classic (it's got Mike bloody Reid in it FFS) but I remember all the hoo-hah when that was first broadcast as thousands of outraged viewers rang to complain that they had been scared under false pretences!
To be fair, it does have some of the most effective subliminal scares. The titular ghost, Pipes, appears throughout the movie, never in a jump scare but just out the corner of your eye, or in a crowd, or reflected in a mirror. It's actually quite unsettling once you see he's there.

I watched this when originally broadcast with a friend who was over for a sleepover, I must have been 10 years old and sat down to it very much believing it to be real. Really can't stress enough how much of an impact it had and just how much it scared the hell out of me. Thinking back I think it was the pacing that really sold it, haven't seen it since (apart from clips here and there) but I seem to recall it really eased you into the big scares, lots of the usual tv ghost hunt 'oh we think we can see something in this frame, let's watch that back' kind of moments where we were making fun of it and being skeptical, before it actually started throwing out the real supernatural craziness.

I think it helped that at that age we really, really WANTED it to be real, so even when it all got over the top we just went with it. One of the most intense tv memories I'll ever have, because as a tv parlour trick it can't ever really be repeated (and given the response they probably wouldn't dare to try).

Dandontdare

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 15 March, 2017, 01:12:12 PM
LG and I just finished the fourth series of the Golden Girls. Despite being full of 80s TV pop culture references, being principally about privileged Miami pensioners and awash with inoffensive pastel colours this has aged brilliantly. The characters are strong, the morals are high (dealing with everything from addiction and homelessness all the way through to astonishingly mature debates of LGBT issues) and all four leads are astoundingly quick, making even the most obvious joke shine. I started watching the first series years ago due it being Mitch Hurwitz's first TV work and I thought it would be shite but honestly it has properly grown on me.

You could always get this monstrosity tattooed across your back like one dedicated fan did:

CrazyFoxMachine

Rately

Quote from: Dandontdare on 15 March, 2017, 02:42:01 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 15 March, 2017, 01:12:12 PM

You could always get this monstrosity tattooed across your back like one dedicated fan did:

Christ Almighty!

Mardroid

Ive been having trouble charging my phone (connection issues with the lead which is one of those usb C jobs, hence I can't just swap leads) so I ordered a new lead on Amazon and since I needed the lead very quickly, decided to go for next day delivery.

Turns out the price of next day delivery isn't much less than the monthly subscription to Prime so....

I noticed Preacher was on there so I've been watching that these last couple of days.

I'm enjoying it a lot. I read the first collection at the library, and interesting premise aside, never really took to it. I think I prefer this a lot more. A couple of characters who came across as rather nasty in the comic are more three dimensional, and it's quite funny in places* on a very dark way. And Jesse is more believable as a preacher who lost his way, than in the comic, where he just seemed to wear the collar and that was it.

*That multiple angel massacre was the craziest thing. [spoiler]Loads died... yet technically only three...[/spoiler]

The Legendary Shark

Yeah, the motel fight was a thing of genius!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Westworld. Four hours of television stretched out to fill ten episodes. The only marvel here is that they found a way to make malfunctioning cowboy robots duller than Methodist day trips to Penge. Even a million boobies couldn't rescue it.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 19 March, 2017, 12:23:29 AM
Westworld. Four hours of television stretched out to fill ten episodes. The only marvel here is that they found a way to make malfunctioning cowboy robots duller than Methodist day trips to Penge. Even a million boobies couldn't rescue it.
Glad i'm not the only one who founded it bloated and underwhelming.

Rara Avis

I'm finally up to date on ..

Vikings, [spoiler]Is Ragnar dead? Where why weren't his remains in the pit?[/spoiler]. The next season looks to be pretty interesting what with [spoiler]his sons all vying for the top spot and the inevitable Lagertha -vs - King Harald showdown[/spoiler]

The Flash [spoiler]Will Barry ever manage to out run anyone on this show? He's the fastest man alive and yet every villian is faster than him and now even Wally has surpassed him. Everyone keeps paying for his mistakes - now Jay is stuck in the speedforce. Most likeable character this season has been Grodd[/spoiler]

Arrow [spoiler]Oliver Queen you have failed this show but at least this season is about the Green Arrow and not Felicity[/spoiler]

Van Helsing. An interesting new take on a vampire apocalypse. The production is so so but the story is pretty good. I don't understand why the vampires have to make those noises - it's not atmospheric or realistic but I have liked it so far.

Finally started on Peaky Blinders and I realise now what all the fuss is about. Only watched the first season and the only thing I don't like is the singing. Every time she sings I get majorly irritated.

Tony Angelino

I think the actor who plays the Flash is too young. I'd rather have had the guy who played Zoom do it. Still looks like the Flash but just appears that bit older. I think it was Zoom anyway as I started to lose track of all the different speedsters. Harrison Wells steals that show though.

Legends of Tomorrow is my favourite of the DC shows. Its very funny at times and it even looks as if they have great fun making it.

Link Prime

Quote from: Rara Avis on 19 March, 2017, 06:10:24 PM
Vikings, [spoiler]Is Ragnar dead? Where why weren't his remains in the pit?[/spoiler].

He's dead.
A good deal of time had passed, his remains were likely covered up by mud.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 March, 2017, 09:58:22 PM
Legends of Tomorrow is my favourite of the DC shows. Its very funny at times and it even looks as if they have great fun making it.

Yeah - this is head and shoulders above most other TV superhero stuff because of strong characters, likeable actors and completely ludicrous scenarios. A recent episode where Stein launches into the Banana Boat Song in the NASA control room and Heat Wave sheepishly joins in was spellbinding.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 21 March, 2017, 06:04:27 PM
Quote from: Tony Angelino on 19 March, 2017, 09:58:22 PM

Yeah - this is head and shoulders above most other TV superhero stuff because of strong characters, likeable actors and completely ludicrous scenarios. A recent episode where Stein launches into the Banana Boat Song in the NASA control room and Heat Wave sheepishly joins in was spellbinding.

Avoiding spoilers, does this fit into the viewing order of the DC shows anywhere or is it completely standalone? We've been (very slowly) working through their shows in the order the episodes were broadcast (we're just about at the point Supergirl started up) and wondering if we should be incorporating this too! or if we should just treat it as a separate show!