Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

What would you think of the following? A book with:

"Conspiracy of Silence"
"Prologue"
"The Tenth Planet"
"Wilderlands" (the 2000AD-progs.)
"The Candidates"
"Farewell to the Chief" (From the Judge Dredd magazine)
"Death of a Legend"

Could be called Death of a legend or Farewell to the chief, due to Hilda's end. Both giving the wilderland story weight and serving as a farewell to her.

Also serving as a conclusion of Mechanismo.

I understand if some think it's not to far away in a CF. But Mechanismo 1-3 was also released when it was near showing up in a CF.

Personaly I'd love to see this happen. Opening with Hilda sending Dredd to Titan and ending with him carrying her "You deserved better.".

Adding another one of Dredd's small steps of becomming a bit more human. A bit like brothers of the blood or Complete America.

And it would work well on it's own too. Dredd as a prisoner is a great read. Good fun and one hell of a ride.

(I accidently posted this in another thread, but couldn't find a button to delete my post. I meant for it to be posted as a thread. Sorry if this is seen as spamming the board, it wasn't my intention)

Dark Jimbo

I'd buy it.

Quote from: Apestrife on 21 November, 2012, 10:18:25 AM
I understand if some think it's not too far away in a CF. But Mechanismo 1-3 was also released when it was near showing up in a CF.

I'm glad the Mechanismo TPB exists - I jumped ship from the Case Files after the Necropolis aftermath in 15, and plan to pick it up again around the time of The Pit (21? 22?) so it plugs a signifcant gap for me.
@jamesfeistdraws

Frank

It'd certainly help make something more substantial of a period many consider a bit of a lost weekend in the strip's history.

Apestrife

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 November, 2012, 02:58:24 PM

I'm glad the Mechanismo TPB exists - I jumped ship from the Case Files after the Necropolis aftermath in 15, and plan to pick it up again around the time of The Pit (21? 22?) so it plugs a signifcant gap for me.

I'm on a similar note, but with 14.

I see that Inferno tpb also where released at the same time as it was collected in a cf. Just as Mechanismo. I hope wilderland follows the same pattern.

Apestrife

Quote from: sauchie on 21 November, 2012, 08:47:02 PM
It'd certainly help make something more substantial of a period many consider a bit of a lost weekend in the strip's history.

But some of the stuff is quite well praised right? I particulary like this panel

Apestrife

A review of the old trade. http://dreddreviews.blogspot.se/2012/05/wilderlands.html

Which I belive gives an idea that farewell to the chief is missed at the party, and that further closure would do the story good.

Apestrife

A thought!

I think the story could do very well without Conspiracy of silence.

Not only shorting down the pages, but Prolouge also gives a much better introduction to the "robot problem" and establishes the council of 5 business through getting Dredd set for Titan.

For a reader new to either Dredd or the mechanismo this would work better. It lays out the pieces from the start, what you need to know, instead of you as the reader needing to piece it together as a 30 pages long prologue.

Dredd will also be put in a light where he not only take responsibility for a wrong he did to "right" regarding the robots, but also when they gonna do old McGruder in -the end (where he instead lets her die in glory.)

And the story would both start and end on with Peter Doherty at the art helm.

Frank

Quote from: Apestrife on 26 November, 2012, 07:13:52 PM
I think the story could do very well without Conspiracy of silence.

It could do without book 3 of Mechanismo too - the end doesn't work for me and what goes before is fairly meh.

radiator

That makes no sense to me - one of the annoying things about the previous Mechanismo/Wilderlands trades is that they skipped Body Count, so there was always a big missing chunk of story.

You also miss out on the scene where Dredd calls for Mcgruder's resignation, which is a key plot point in the whole saga.

Frank

Quote from: radiator on 26 November, 2012, 08:43:16 PM
That makes no sense to me - one of the annoying things about the previous Mechanismo/Wilderlands trades is that they skipped Body Count, so there was always a big missing chunk of story. You also miss out on the scene where Dredd calls for Mcgruder's resignation, which is a key plot point in the whole saga.

Aye, I only meant from a qualitative point of view. That scene was the only point of knocking out another Johnny 5 is alive saga.

Apestrife

Body count isn't my favourite of the 3, but it still serves for some seriously good laughes and brings some essential things to the story as Radiator says.

But by the way Radiator.

What would you think of a wilderlands tpb collected this way?

"Prologue"
"The Tenth Planet"
"Wilderlands" (the 2000AD-progs.)
"The Candidates"
"Farewell to the Chief" (From the Judge Dredd magazine)
"Death of a Legend"

Hawkmumbler

Wilderlands was OK I guess, read the old Fleetway (?) TPB in my local Library and wasn't exactly blown away (Thoug Super King can't half draw a burning space fraighter!). It always confused me as to why it wasn't considered a part of the Mechanism 'Trilogy', though that title would of cause be deffunct. It's certainly more about McGruders further decent into madness, showing her more malicious side and all. I'll buy it when it's in the CCF but until then i'd rather see a re-print of Return to Armagedan.

Also, is it me, or has the Machanismo made a return since DvA? Fighting off the Xenomorphs, guarding Death in Death Trap, being used as prison camp wardens, bollstering the jay's on the build up to Chaos day. Are we going to see a big return from them soon?

IndigoPrime

I think it's more that they drag them out of storage when there's no other choice, and as auxiliary droids with loads of firepower rather than machines with the ability to pass sentence. To that end, they're like human-shaped Lawmasters rather than metal Judges.

Apestrife

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 03 December, 2012, 01:12:19 PM
It always confused me as to why it wasn't considered a part of the Mechanism 'Trilogy', though that title would of cause be deffunct.

Besides Mechanismo and Wilderlands, what would the third part be of such trilogy?

And yes, I'v seen them in at both Dredd vs Aliens and Tour of duty, and I hope for more. They look quite bad ass, and I love the fact that even if they're based on his persona Dredd doesn't trust them haha.

Frank

Quote from: Apestrife on 04 December, 2012, 08:38:32 PM
I love the fact that even if they're based on his persona Dredd doesn't trust them haha.

That seemed fairly important and interesting in the first book, didn't it? Never really developed, though.