Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

I've noticed a couple of peeps have mentioned dropping the bundled floppies / mini graphic novels from the Megazine, and again most recentlly over at the 2000ad.wordpress. I was just wondering if this was the feelings of the majority?

I for one love those things as I get to read up on a bunch of stuff in the same series that I've never read before in one quick succession without having to go hunt down all the progs they appeared in. Though I can kinda see the point of someone who's read them all previously, but is it not good thing being able to re-read the material again in a lump.

Keep them coming please!

Andy Smart

Quote from: sheldipez link=topic=37607.msg732731#msg732731 date=1355835126
Keep them coming please!
/quote]

Seconded. I'm always happy to read these even if the material isn't the best. Plus, there's still plenty of stuff that could be reprinted.

radiator

The contents of the Megazine has always been a balancing act ever since they had to start including reprint material 16 years ago.

A Megazine consisting solely of all-new strip material isn't economically viable - and it amazes me that some long-term readers still haven't grasped this.

I kinda like the floppies. There've been a fair few that haven't been to my taste, but I do like the fact that I now have certain niche strips like Strontium Dogs, Durham Red, Downlode Tales etc that are unlikely to be collected elsewhere.

Dandontdare

The only problem with them is that they sometimes (certainly not always) serve to highlight a poor Meg - if I find that the most enjoyable read out of the whole package is a 20 year old reprint of a  B-list strip, then you have to question what's in the main magazine.

Andy Smart

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 December, 2012, 01:46:01 PM
The only problem with them is that they sometimes (certainly not always) serve to highlight a poor Meg - if I find that the most enjoyable read out of the whole package is a 20 year old reprint of a  B-list strip, then you have to question what's in the main magazine.

On those occasions I'd rather come away with something than nothing.

NapalmKev

The free 'floppie' is what tipped the balance as regards to my first purchase of the Megazine. Admittedly 'some' of the reprints have been of 'less than stellar' stories, but I still the floppy as a very much welcome addition to the Meg!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

James Stacey

Its a price I'm prepared to pay for the continuation of the Meg. A poor floppy and Sexy Ostriches together tho does make me wonder why I bother sometimes mind.

Mattofthespurs

Pioneer

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 18 December, 2012, 02:36:15 PM
Love the bagged floppies.

Yeah same, recent Ratfink and Marauder most enjoyable. Looking forward to getting stuck in to Disaster 1990 over the next couple days for some old school vibes

Mabs

As a new reader i have to say i love the floppies! I get to read stuff which i would not have known about. The last few floppies have been very good, especially Ratfink which i thought was superb, and Finn. Anyway, if you dont like the floppy you dont have to read it. Simple as that. But personally i gotta say i like 'em!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Proudhuff

keep em coming, I say.

With the notable exception of Death Planet, I've enjoyed reading them. Things which I never enjoyed at the time are so much better collected (Gibbons Rogue?), and often if its one character their collected tales mean we can follow their development: Ratfink, especially when it links to stories in the megazine.

I do think the Rebellion is missing a trick by facing these inward when they are bagged, face out would mean punters could see what the bonus was, might hook in a couple o waverers.
DDT did a job on me

P-BOT/1138

the only problem,i think, with them is that you're not gonna get the best stories.
cause theyre gonna be in trade.
so, unless youre a big fan of some obscure story they arent gonna put in trade. your gonna love the floppie.
would also like to see them not running the same story concurently.
three months of mercy heights then two of tor cyan were a real slog.

COMMANDO FORCES

I've read all but one of them and usually read them before bed and then store them. I agree with Proudhuff, that they should be facing outwards, especially as many of the covers are very enticing!

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 December, 2012, 03:30:25 PM

With the notable exception of Death Planet

Had a fantastic cover though. Worth the price of admission for that alone.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I thoroughly enjoyed re-reading Death Planet. It was a product of its time, but no worse that, say, Futureworld or whatever the Westworld sequel was called.
Lock up your spoons!