Main Menu

What's the best apple?

Started by Definitely Not Mister Pops, 11 January, 2013, 12:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

For me, it has to be the granny smith. The crunching/snapping (snuching?crapping?) sound when you take your first bite is one of the most satisfying sounds outside of music. Not a fan of golden delicious though. Too mushy and soft.

Also, if there's a doctor in the house, could they explain why they find people who eat apples on a daily basis so repellent?
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

Get OUT of my head pops. I've been thinking this same thing. For me it has to be McIntosh. Crunchy, sweet, and tart all at once. Especially in the autumn when they are first picked. I agree with the golden delicious.

pauljholden

Guh! There's nothing worse than apple fanbois! "Oh my apple is so cool" "my apple is so MUCH better than your crappy banana".

Apples are pretty yeah, but they're also over priced, you can buy pears that looks almost identical and taste practically the same and are thousands of pounds cheaper (per ton)

It's just the Apple marketing that has convinced you they're so awesome...

-pj

von Boom

Quote from: pauljholden on 11 January, 2013, 12:27:08 PM
Guh! There's nothing worse than apple fanbois! "Oh my apple is so cool" "my apple is so MUCH better than your crappy banana".

Apples are pretty yeah, but they're also over priced, you can buy pears that looks almost identical and taste practically the same and are thousands of pounds cheaper (per ton)

It's just the Apple marketing that has convinced you they're so awesome...

-pj

Orange you just the jealous little piggy that can't afford apples. ;)

Minkyboy

I used to like Pink Ladies until I began to see through their over perfumed frippery.

Nowadays it has to be Cox for me.

Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000

I, Cosh

Granny Smith. Can't abide a soft apple, I want one with a hint of danger.

I'm not biased though, I can appreciate a nice pear too.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

I'm with Cosh when it comes to a nice pear, never been big on Cox, mine you Granny Smiths are a right turn off too. Of course Blackberries are as bad.
DDT did a job on me

James Stacey

Braeburns all the way. Coxes if I can't get Braeburn.

grthink

I can't begin to tell you how glad I am that someone has brought this up.

Granny Smiths. All day, every day. I had a problem, for a while, where I was eating about 7 Granny Smith apples a day. Well, I say 'problem'... I was having a great time, but it wasn't financially viable.

ming

Cox's.  Orange.  Pippin.

The local apples (from Hardangerfjord) are amazing, though.  One of the best things about the autumn is the arrival of these.

I like Russets as well.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Apples and pears? Completely different things. In fact you could say they're as different as apples and oranges ( I like a satsuma, mind you I'm not that fussy about orange varieties, I'll eat jaffas/tangerines/blood oranges like some sort of citrus slut). Apples and pears? I rise above them, guv. Or just take the elevator.
You may quote me on that.

dullnickname

I like cooking apples but i'd never cook a cox!

Richmond Clements

Love a Pink Lady, but my heart belongs to Granny Smith.