Main Menu

Started by paulvonscott, 13 January, 2003, 05:34:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulvonscott

Yeah, this weeks was better than last, maybe it was just the new year blues or something.

Dredd seemed to get going, Slaine was back on track, Caballistics seems to be definitely working and Dante was excellent :o, best of the four strips.

A pretty good prog really (just watch the Watcher change my mind by the end of the week), which if you just look at the titles on paper you'd expect it to be.

Oddboy

DAMN you Paul.  I've still got another six hours before I can see my prog!
Better set your phaser to stun.

petemaskreplica

[Sobs, then sniffles and blows his nose]

: i just felt the need to admit that; not two years ago, i went to the comic shop twice a month and mindlessly bought every X-title on the shelf. [Group hug and cheerful 'all in it together' song]

i feel so much better now...

Queen Firey-Bou

Gee whizz paul what dya do mug the postie to get it so early. well Ha ive had tw0 fire call outs & still read mine . nyah;

Cover; Great

judge dredd aliens; brilliant fantastic, "nothing gets out unless its wearing a helmet (or a girlie judge with big hair)"

input; no funny letter. boo.

Caballistics ; great , good

sin/dex; too much bouxtox going on in the lips. plot, er well we'll see.

Dante; great super brill, what a scary bad guy, isn't Dante a honey? good with kids n all. yummie.

Slaine; story a bit muddled & disjointed like its leading into or out of somewhere & not getting there. or like the film that ran out of budget before they'd done the main bit.. but doesn't he look great ? call me superficial, but that last panel is pin up of the year so far. phoarr.(slaine not moloch..men should not wear thongs)

ahhh replete again.

DavidXBrunt

No funny letter, but one of the message board irregulars gets a letter printed, whichis always nice.

ukdane

Strange, I got Meg 202 today, but no new prog.
When did your Meg arrive?
Cheers

-Daney

Queen Firey-Bou

whos letter whats their board name > was it the main one? surely no boarder would give away their progs ?!

Trout

s

p

o

i

l

e

r

s

Quick comments: Dredd terrific fun, Dante sailing along fine, Caballistics still interesting but will probably improve next week when the protagonists actually do something.

But SinDex is just a constant stream of total-lack-of-surprise. Meeting yourself? Air guitar, anyone?

And Slaine is disappointing. After a fine start, its switched back to the usual painted fight scenes and stock phrases.
Pat Mills - tell a f*cking story, will you?

- Trout

Oddboy

Yeah, but it was a pretty good fight scene...
Better set your phaser to stun.

paulvonscott

Three episodes of people chatting and ending in scenes of weird horror not enough for you Trouty?

I thought Slaine staggered back to it's feet this week and set off again.

Leigh S

I go away from the board for one day and PVS starts getting positive about the prog? I dunno....:)

This weeks prog definitely improves on last weeks.

Firstly Dredd is more Dredd and less Aliens this week (though will the Judges appear a bit incompetent to those who are reading this cos it Aliens, and dont know Dredd from munce?)

Caballistics - Art improved in terms of the monstery things at the end - much more creepy looking than the jolly flying fellows at the end of part 2.

And Slaine also improved a bit - the very unclear art and repetitive script of last weeks didnt do it any favours (write for the weekly format dammit).  This weeks still has a lot of the faults of last weeks, but a bit more variation - Slaine becoming a wanderer again?  Now that could work, as being King means all he ever does is fight tedious battles.  If thats where this is going then things could be looking up

Trout

I suggest Slaine would be improved by the inclusion of characterisation and a bit of variety.

I haven't been able to tell one story from another for years.

Remember that poll asking for our favourite Slaine epic? I was at a bit of a loss, because I thought it was all the same sh*te since Time Killer.

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but I'm losing patience with this Goth-appeal Celtic pap. I even liked Langley's art in Prog 2003 and now I've gone off it again.

Slaine needs a radical reinvention, or at least a bit of direction.

Basic formula for all recent stories: Someone attacks. People get killed. Slaine fights back, warps out, greets a wee bit and then it ends again.

Pants, pants, pants. This from someone who can produce Time Killer, the Shoggey Beast, Metalzoic, Marshall Law and all sorts of other great stuff.

Get a grip on Slaine, Pat, because it's what you'll be most remembered for when you finally retire.

- Trout

Capt.Zeep

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Think I spotted Middenface and Hellboy in Sin/Dex; the new artist is starting to appeal a bit more now, he's rendered Billi in quite a Tank Girl stylee... & he's not averse to a visual joke or too.

Prog excellent overall.
Good work Tharg!

W. R. Logan

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Thought he was quiyte crap, now I know I dislike Sin/Dex but a couple of references (you forgot Pokemon) an artist not make (now I'm talking like Yoda) Plus if the lips on the characters get any bigger they'll explode and take their heads off. Then you have Billi getting younger by the panel, if she gets any younger Pete Townsend will deny reading 2000.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Smiley

Only the third episode and already you're slagging it? Pah! For what it's worth, the opening frame was truly epic, and Moloch himself has an genuine eerie quality that sets him apart from Elfric, Balor, et al. Though the "taken our hearts" gag (gag as in both joke and choke) has been done before, this is top stuff. More!

Individual pix kept catching my attention. Full marks for the closing page of Cabballistics too. (I would like to see some of the smugness knocked out of Chapter and Verse, and special forces that aren't obvious dead meat, but that's not gonna happen, is it?) And that image of Mina lamenting her mother in Dante was another blinder. Very sad.

Overall, better than last week. Next prog should be even better. Huzzah!