Main Menu

MEG 333 - THE BLACK SUNS RISES

Started by Buttonman, 16 February, 2013, 12:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryanddavid

Ill buck the trend and say I really enjoyed this months offering. Two Grant Dredds, one retro and one modern and both work just fine, I dont see the confusion with the first one. As gooos as most other non Wagner we have been offered.
Trifecta bit-Great
Roundtable- not read yet but seems like a good idea, and you cant go wrong with the interview, bit more indepth wouldnt have hurt but still OK.
HondoCit- as has been said,really nice art, decent story, but since Shimura appeared however many years ago thats what I have read. Id like to see Morrisons considerable talents and associated artists concentrated on something a bit more.. I dunno.. memorable? The story itself is good, but overall the whole Japanese thing seems a bit static.

Ahab, why why why was there never a sequel.
Best villian since Torqy, fantastic art, great story, decent dialogue, interesting to note the commissioning Eds, seemed to go back a bit.
Id love to see more Kitching, and Elson too, goes without saying really.

maryanddavid

AAAAA no Edit!!

Really getting into Reaper, Langlys art is pushing the boat out, and Im starting to get into the story.
Having said that I can understand the disquiet, it is too long, decompression could go a long way, but its still not an american comic! The art , I prefer his 'drawn' art, but I love this too, just to see the cinematic structure of the page, and the art itself, this is what I read 2000ad for, something new and not tried before and something you will probably not see elswhere. 

Daveycandlish

I was rather vocal in my dislike of the first series of Reaper but I have to say, the story this time round is engaging me (still not a fan of the art on it though)

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

sheldipez

Personally I've enjoyed the last two Megs more than majority of the progs' content of late (Ampney Crucis is my highlight - the rest is "OK"). The Meg has the benefit of allowing the stories room to breathe which, to be fair, a lot of these high concept sci-fi ideas need to setup and pull them off without feeling rushed. Nice to read some more Nigel Kitching stuff; I was a big Sonic The Comic fan when I was a young 'un!

I like American Reaper; it's an interesting theme and the art is something different, I'm not usually a fan of this photo art but it works well, certainly the best I've seen.

Cactus

Quote from: Buttonman on 16 February, 2013, 12:11:22 PM
<SIGH>  No Dreddlines again and 18 pages of Reaper ...

Haha! I got this far into the thread and remembered I hadn't read this month's American Reaper. I skipped over it to get to the second Dredd, and normally I read stuff front to back.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Zarjazzer

enjoyed this Hondo especially how I love those[spoiler] undead/alien possessed[/spoiler] samurai. A.H.A.B was very good with a marvelous splash of the beastie a warping into view. Liked both Dredds but much preferred the second one Mr Richardson's art was sublime. Better than this months prog 1820 for this non-subscription slacker.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Mabs

Still haven't got round to doing a review, but it was a stonking good read, including American Reaper which was really enjoyable. And i agree, Hondo is superb indeed.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Judge Dredd Megazine #333

Another enjoyable Megazine! First up, the cover. One word, awesome. One of the best Megazine covers, if not the best since i came on board. I love the colour palette, red goes really well with black making the image really striking. Henry Flint has now officially progressed from artdroid to artgod.

Judge Dredd: Night Mayor on L.M Street; i couldn't help but chuckle at the title! :D, story (by Alan Grant) revolves around a mayoral election taking place in MC1. However one of the candidates isn't playing fair. The artwork by Anthony Williams was not bad, however i can't say i was too fond of it especially his depiction of Dredd. On page 2 the close up of Dredd (with the shading) makes him look like he's grown a moustache a la Douglas Fairbanks! It was a fun strip nonetheless.

Comics Roundtable: Horror; a nice article interviewing 2000ad's Ian Edginton, Jon Davis-Hunt and Arthur Wyatt alongside writer Dan Lockwood on their views on horror in comics. It was an interesting read, especially hearing about what they thought of Ennis' Crossed - a comic not for the squeamish. It was nice learning about how each of them have tackled horror in the past, and the best methods of using it effectively in the medium. Its also made me want to check out some of the stuff, like Cradlegrave.

Trifecta/ Best Laid Plans by Michael Molcher; a look into one of the greatest comic events of last year. A nice read, and one thats got me dying to read Trifecta all over again.

Hondo City Justice: Revenge of the 47 Ronin Part Two; hugely hugely enjoyable. The undead ronin are wreaking havoc in Hondo City, and Judge Inaba is up to her neck trying to contain the threat. Mike Collins' artwork is oh so good, the opener was beautifully rendered as we are taken back in time to Japan circa 1702 AD. The Black Sun Empress was both beautiful and terrifying in the same measure. I'm really enjoying this strip and hope to see more next month.

American Reaper II Part 2; excellent stuff. I can't understand the hate for this as its really well wtitten, and goes along at a cracking pace. I can see how the 'artwork' can put off someone (as it did me at the start), but i soon got acquainted to it. It makes for a change in my opinion, and we can start to see Clint Langley's input more this month. I love the whole set up, interesting main character and intriguing premise not to mention the wisecracks and action. The stand out in this episode was the exchange between the prisoner, Don and the professor esp. as the professor would shortly be transplanted into the criminals body! This brings up a whole can of worms such as the moral aspect of the procedure and doubts; would the professor's wife be comfortable seeing her husband inside the body of a serial rapist and murderer? The strip is full of fascinating ideas and engaging moments like the one highlighted, and i for one love it!

Interrogation: Karl Richardson; a nice article on Karl, and his artistic influences and process. Followed immediately by...

Judge Dredd: The Lost Cases/ The Last Judda; where we see Karl Richardson's impressive art in action. I'm not too familar with the Judda storyline, i've read what happens and know the summary but have yet to read the actual story from start to finish. Nevertheless it was an okay read (the Judda turning up at a comedy club the highlight for me) but the monotone artwork was the thing i enjoyed most out of the two.

So overall an excellent issue, and one i thoroughly enjoyed. But wait...hold on, i almost forgot about the floppy! Which would've been tragic seeing as how awesome a read it was!

A.H.A.B; the story set in a far flung future was based on Moby Dick, instead of whales we had the Kohenyu; giant whale like creatures flying (or is it floating?) through space. And instead of Ahab we had A.H.A.B; a alien robot whose empty shell is inhabited by a human (sorta like an Avatar), he's a devious, conniving bastard who won't stop at anything to wipe all the Kehanyu's from existence. Our protagonist is Ishmael or 'Izzie' as she likes to be known. She is a scientist who's goal is to save earth and mankind from the Ebola virus, but in order to do this she has to extract fluids from the Kohenyu's tear ducts, but A.H.A.B has other plans....

I have to say that it was a really fun read. I went through the floppy in no time at all and by the end wished there was more! Richard Elson's artwork is absolutely superb. I loved his work on Kingdom, and its pretty much the same here.

A two page spread of the magnificent Kogenyu, when we see it for the first time - is magnificent to behold. I loved the design of the futuristic ships and vessels, and the last pages in particular when we see the Kohenyu queen -was  superbly rendered, not to mention the colour palette throughout the story, it was a really eye catching read. Coming back to the design, the main ship is shaped almost like a boat (which was no doubt a concious decision), and its slim line nature and front reminded me of the U.S.S Sulaco in Aliens.

It was a really enjoyable read, and to top it off we had three short tales at the end, Future Shocks: Spare Parts being the most entertaining out of them. Definitely one of the better floppies - quality-wise i hope to see more like this. Excellent stuff overall, A.H.A.B, Hondo City and American Reaper the stand out for me.

5/5

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Not much output from you guys on the Megazine this month?  :(  A shame because i thought it was superb.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

sheldipez

Quote from: Mabs on 05 March, 2013, 01:50:48 PM
Not much output from you guys on the Megazine this month?  :(  A shame because i thought it was superb.

The Megazine is, generally, very under-rated, very few people seem to not buy it from reading comments elsewhere on the board. As I mention above I currently prefer it over the prog.

Mabs

Quote from: sheldipez on 05 March, 2013, 02:11:13 PM

The Megazine is, generally, very under-rated, very few people seem to not buy it from reading comments elsewhere on the board. As I mention above I currently prefer it over the prog.

That is a shame, sheldipez. There's been some really interesting not to mention enjoyable stuff in this month and last months Megazine. And like you say, some of the input of late has been much better than the prog stuff.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Proudhuff

Have to disagree chaps, the Prog is almost untouchable just now IMHO,

Meanwhile the meg can be patchy, given 14/15 pages across to AMR doesn't help and I for one find some of the recent Dredd stories a bit lacklustre after the cutting edge stuff in the Prog of late, on the other hand the Trade Floppie is always welcome and I'm Still hoping for LILY MCKENZIE to return ( along with the highlight of the Megazine :Dreddlines!!
DDT did a job on me

Mabs

No i agree, i should've been more specific in my post, Proudhuff. The last couple of Progs have been excellent, i was referring one or two in the last month which i felt was inferior to the Meg stuff. But i've loved the recent output on both.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

chris_askham

I thought the latest Meg was a little on the underwhelming side. Two lacklustre Dredds and a Hondo City strip that I don't really care for. And i thought AHAB was all kinds of terrible. Lovely art, but poorly scripted. I did enjoy American Reaper though, and certainly can't wait for new Insurrection next month. Things are looking up. And I got a mensh from Art Wyatt in the round table discussion, which was an unexpected bonus that made me smile, so things can't be all that bad!

Mabs

Oh wow - that is pretty cool, Chris! Also being quite new to 2000ad, i have a question about Insurrection; is it anything to do with the Insurrection (of the same name) by Dan Anbnett?

My Twitter @nexuswookie