Main Menu

"Slaine : Book of Scars" might make a great game......

Started by ThryllSeekyr, 08 August, 2013, 08:57:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Looking at how Slaine: Book of Scars may turn out from this......

Quote from: Pat Mills in a interview with CBRWhat does the "The Book of Scars" have in store for Slaine?

"Slaine's" 30th Birthday collection is "The Book of Scars." Because Slaine is the Scarred Man and every scar tells a story.

The Guledig has warped time so that Slaine once again meets his greatest enemies and faces his greatest challenges. Only this time they will be ready for him.

"The Guledig" by Clint Langley in color.

"The Wickerman and the Bride of Crom" by Clint in black and white after Bellardinelli.

"Sky Chariots" by Mike McMahon in black and white.

"El Women and Elfric" by Glenn Fabry in black and white.

"Slough Feg and Crom Cruach" by Simon Bisley in color.

"Moloch" by Clint in color.

Six connected stories, six to nine pages each. With all the "Slaine" covers gathered in one collection. So we get to see those classic stories once again with a new twist, as we ask ourselves... "What if...?"

This sounds like a great synopsis for new Slaine computer game. Revisiting those vintages scenes and his greatest enemies after being sent through time by the great Guledig itself. Each stage of the computer game using graphics reflecting the artworks of Clint Lanely's in full colour photo-shopped magic and his tribute to Massimo Bellardenelli in black and white,  Mick MacMahon in black and white, Glenn Fabry in black and white, a return to colour with Simon Bisley!

So what do you reckon?

Proudhuff

Maybe a great game, but the more I see not a great comic: as it's a simply retelling of older stories we've already had, and Slaine obvoiously survives/wins, but with a twist, sorry to piss on anyones chips, but why Tharg why?
DDT did a job on me

jackstarr

Only as long as it has the same "whack-a-mole" text options as on the original 8-bit game  :lol:

On a serious note, I had that game for the commodore 64, and the attempt to give a text-based adventure a GUI was a complete failure - I dug out the game a couple of years ago, and if anything it's more frustrating now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_z3hgQr6l0

It did have great music though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V5kH74QlMQ

Goaty

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Proudhuff at 08/08/2013, 09:38:27 AM
Maybe a great game, but the more I see not a great comic: as it's a simply retelling of older stories we've already had, and Slaine obvoiously survives/wins, but with a twist, sorry to piss on anyones chips, but why Tharg why?

Anyway, for me personally it's welcome return to retelling old but classic stories. I assume they won't be recreating exact copies of the older stories panel for panel and of course Slaine always survives. He's the protagonist. It may be kind of like watching the Gandalf vs the Balrog scene near the end of Fellowship of the Ring  and then seeing the same scene again from a entirely different perspective and then seeing the how their battle unfolded as they both fell into that underground pool of water in The Two-Towers. The rest of battle right up until Gandalf has fallen and eventually revives returning as Gandalf the White is then shown as a flashback as he remembers. Sorry if my explanation got a bit long winded, but I just explaing how the same story got more interesting being retold differently. Though, I am just guessing here and will have to wait see how Slaine: Book of Scars unfolds in the oncoming weeks.

BTW is that a Russian signature you got there Proudhuff?

Quote from: Jackstarr at 08/08/2013, 10:27:00 AMOnly as long as it has the same "whack-a-mole" text options as on the original 8-bit game  :lol:

On a serious note, I had that game for the commodore 64, and the attempt to give a text-based adventure a GUI was a complete failure - I dug out the game a couple of years ago, and if anything it's more frustrating now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_z3hgQr6l0

It did have great music though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V5kH74QlMQ

I scored a copy of that game off of Ebay back in 2008 or 2009. For me, it's more of a collectors item sitting on one of my book shelfs right now. Seeing as I no longer have a C64 with the right peripherals to play it at all. Though, I did manage to get the emulation for this game working. I downloaded it from the old 2000AD Online web site. That was on my older computer that no longer really works and I don't think that emulation is no longer inked. Anyway, when I got the game running. I stopped playing the game after a few minutes after getting no where with it at all.

From the You-Tube video you linked there's nothing really inspiring about it to watch after a few minutes into the video. Despite it's revolutionary in game Reflex feature.

In this game Warp-Spasms are nothing more than this....

You feel the earth-power
surge through your body!

The enemy are
completely massacred!

I was thinking a great game of Slaine should be made with the same level of story, tech, mechanics and graphics as game like  Red Dead Redempemtion and Batman: Arkham Asylum to name just two.

My ideal game would be that you could revisit Slaine's best story arcs, battling famous bosses all over again.

You can alternate Slaine and [/b]Ukko[/b] as characters. They coud both earn points through game play to spend on  specific skills according what they've done in the comics to complete in game missons.

Skills such as Red Branch Abilites could be learnt in tutorial styled mini games where Slaine is just remembering being taught in Alba (I think that's right!)

Slaine would have Normal Abilites like Attract Wench, Fight with Brain-Biter, Taunt, Warriors-Scream, Scale/Climb up Wicker-Man, Smack-Dwarf (Hit him so he doesn't misbehave. Hit him too much and he runs away for a short time!) and the mighty Warp-Spasm!

Red Branch Abilities like Duel-Sword-Weilding, Salmon-Leap, Salmon-Leap-Attack, Shield-Kick, Yoke-PoleTatlumGae-BolgaSpear-CatchSpear-Foot!

Slaine would also have the abilty to throw Brain-Biter at enemies and by calling out "Dwarf, My AxeUkko would always go off an retreive Brain-Biter and bring it back, handing it back to Slaine without fail.

There may be more, thats all I can think of for a game. 

Ukko would have Read/Write Ogham and other known/unknown ancient Languages, Bardic LoreHide in the Shadows/Move Silently, Detect/Disarm Traps, Hear Noise, Pick-PocketPick-Lock, Puzzles, Herbalism/Healing, Haggle, Alchemy Distract! 

Sorry if that was a bit long winded, but I've actually had this idea in my head for a ong time and I'm really enthusiastic about this.

Quote from: Goaty  at 08/08/2013, 10:43:53 AM

Or you just playing Skyrim?

Funny, you should mention that, as I did call my first character in this game Slaine! Even though he was of the Nordic race. Perhaps I should have made him a Breton instead. I really must resume playing this game.

TordelBack

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 08 August, 2013, 01:48:48 PM
Funny, you should mention that, as I did call my first character in this game Slaine!

Stop the presses and hold the front page!  :D

Love your game ideas TS, brought a smile to my face.  I'd like to have the skill Attract Wench myself, but sadly I'm still working on Catch Bartender's Eye.

jackstarr

Or you just playing Skyrim?

Funny, you should mention Skyrim, as I did call my first character in this game Slaine! Even though he was of the Nordic race. Perhaps I should have made him a Breton instead. I really must resume playing this game.
Hah!  I try and break my Skyrim addiction by returning to the 2000ad community, and what do I find here but more Skyrim!  I'm literally addicted to that game, not so much in terms of playing, but in terms of modding the pc version - if you're on PC and you haven't played for a while, you should really check out some of the new mods. 
And with that note I shall relapse and load up the Skyrim Creation Kit to finish off those mods I was in the middle of making...

Proudhuff

Mr Mayor, I believe it says 'Phew! what a scorcher Comrades!'  a reference to an old Ray Lowry cartoon which I can't find on the Tinternet...
DDT did a job on me

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 August, 2013, 01:55:55 PM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 08 August, 2013, 01:48:48 PM
Funny, you should mention that, as I did call my first character in this game Slaine!

Stop the presses and hold the front page!  :D

Love your game ideas TS, brought a smile to my face.  I'd like to have the skill Attract Wench myself, but sadly I'm still working on Catch Bartender's Eye.

More Idea's for a possible Slaine computer game!

Extra-Skills for Slaine: Ride-Horse, Ride-Chariot, Ride-Dragon,  Gong-Beating,   Amber-Smuggling  :P

Forbidden Weapons Training:  Leyser Sword/Pistol/Cannon, Cythron-Power-Suit

Extra-Skills for Ukko:  Exorcism

In this game, depending on how the revisited stories pan out. They should include unlockable characters.

Niamh, Chosen-One-of-King- Grudnew

Her Skills : Attract-Male-Barbarian, Gae-Bolga,  Ambi-Dexterity!

Queen Niamh

Her Skills:  Attract-Male-Barbarian, Raise-Child, Gae-Bolga, Throw-Gae-Bolga Ambi-Dexterity, Tongue-of-the-Morrigan,  Celtic-Wife-Strike, Throw-Metal-Stars,  Invent- Apparatus,

Nest-of-the-Speckled-Face

Her Skills:  Raise-Dragon,  Unarmed-Strike, Read/Write-Ogham & Other-Ancient-Languages, Charm,  Bardic-Lore,  Druidic-Awe,

Forbidden Weapons Training: Leyser Pistol!

Myrddin

His Skills:  Cythron-Lore, Bardic-Lore, Druidic Awe, Redirect-Flow-of-Time,  Head-Aflame,  Bood-Fire, and that giant floating skull ability he had  ;) Not sure about that one  :-\

Anytime you use Myrddin's magic to intervene, this causes a shift in the cosmic balance, tipping the scales for the benefit of evil.

Remember Cordelia from Slaine: The Exorcist! She is unlockavble as well.

Her Skills:  Haunching  :P

That is all I can think of. Some of the skills were taken from Mongoose Publishing's Slaine Role-Playing-Game! and others were just dreamed up from my knowledge of the Slaine stories I've already read.

Have I missed anything?

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 August, 2013, 06:16:34 PM
Mr Mayor, I believe it says 'Phew! what a scorcher Comrades!' a reference to an old Ray Lowry cartoon which I can't find on the Tinternet...

Interesting, because I can pick out the Russian script when I see and translate it in Google Translate!

That's what I thought it said.

I have a Russian-Werewolf character in a forum Role-Playing-Game called Seneca-Rises ( I started a thread about this on the same Gaming Forum here as well!) Also and through this game. I'm getting very familier with Russian ways. 

GrudgeJohnDeed

I was just thinking how slaine would make a cool side-scrolling beat em up (axe'em'up?), where you build up meter from cleaving fools in twain and upon filling the meter, go warp spaz on more fools. Brian Blessed booms things like 'Bereft of MERRRCCYYYY' over the gameplay when you perform particularly gruesome slayings

IndigoPrime

In the 8-bit days, it would have been great to see a Slaine game that mixed Barbarian with Tir Na Nog.

GrudgeJohnDeed