Main Menu

Preview of Ordinary by Rob Williams and D'Israeli

Started by Bat King, 13 September, 2013, 01:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bat King

There are preview pages & spoilers in this preview. Don't read it if you don't like spoilers... But the spoilers are light and you get a peak at 7 pages of D'Israeli art & Rob Williams words.

http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/ordinary-by-rob-williams-and-disraeli-preview-pages-judge-dredd-megazine-340-out-18th-september/
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Frank

It's odd to see D'Israeli doing something so vanilla with the colouring in particular, but the palette reminds me of the Tintin books. This one's got collect and repackage me for the US market, with an eye toward selling the IP to Hollywood written all over it, hasn't it? More power to them - I'll be buying the Megazine for the Dredd tie-in, but I think this is probably going to be highlight.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 13 September, 2013, 07:14:11 AM
...something so vanilla with the colouring...

One might even say... ordinary?  It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an ageing squaxx in possession of a good handful of new D'Israeli pages must be in want of eating them the feck up so that their genius becomes a warming fire in their belly.  Absolutely gorgeous, can't wait for this.

Mabs

That looks bloomin' marvellous! Can't wait for Wednesday to pick up my copy! :-)

Thanks for posting these Bat King!  :thumbsup:
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Bat King

'Vanilla' is not a description anyone will EVER see in any review I do... unless it is a description of a flavpour or smell that tastes or smells like vanilla. Detest the term...

I think Tordelback has the truth here... Ordinary, clue is in the title.

Quote from: Judge-Tutor Semple
If you are used to D'Israeli's art from Stickleback you might think this story looks a bit ordinary. A very different style here. It is cartoony, full of motion and character. It isn't even very similar to his work on Low Life. That's D'Israeli for you, a chameleon.

That was what I thought, ordinary. And it works, given the synopsis, which we only get a hint at in the preview...

I'm looking forward to Saturday!
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Judge Brian

I've only read the first 3 installments, but I can't say it's doing much for me. Deadbeat dad trying to reach is son during an apocalypse is so 2012. I do really like the art, it might be the best I've seen from D'izzy.

Colin YNWA

This seems as good a place as anywhere to put this. I've just read Ordinary and of course, as I'm sure many have said it anything but, in fact its extraordinary. Its quite superb, it really is.

Its a quite wonderful examination of what it is to be a parent, the fear and bewildering challenges it brings. It seems to play, not explicitity with the oft misquoted phrase "With great power there must also come great responsibilty". Your kids see you as a superhuman, you feel anything but. Yet in our own ordinary way, with all our failings and rubbishness we are heroes in their eyes. So we do our best, but its bloody hard at times.

I'm sure there's a lot more in there, but for now that's the main thing I got from it. I'm already looking forward to reading it again to see what else I find.

One of the very best comics I've read for a long time.

Hawkmumbler

Man, has it been 3 years since this was in the Meg? And i've had the HC sitting on my too read pile (now a disjointed memory in a series of packing boxes) for years, guess that going right to the top of what I'm reading when unpacked because bloody hell, if memory serves correct Disraeli knocked it out of the park.

Oh, and Rob Williams is a lovely chap and you should buy all his comics. That is all!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 April, 2016, 09:55:38 AM

Oh, and Rob Williams is a lovely chap and you should buy all his comics. That is all!

Particularly Unfollow you should all ABSOLUTELY be reading Unfollow.