Main Menu

Weekly Shonen Jump Weekly update (hopefully)

Started by IronGraham, 05 November, 2013, 11:55:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronGraham

So... I don't know how many on this forum get and read Weekly Boy's demographic jump, and I'd like to discuss it with some other people.

Cover - I think Mr. Burdis would like this cover nice and bright very eye catching, also 300 million copies of One Piece sold in japan alone wow! wonder how many world wide it's sold.

One Piece Chapter 726: The Riku family - Ok here we are now warriors from the tournament are being sent to a chasm of toys and themselves turned into toys why? I dunno but also it feels like we may be heading into flashback town so grab your hankies and or tissues? So we'll have to see, the colour cover is very nice I really like that Sanji always had an eye for pretty girls/ladies. Favorite panel I'm already cheating because it two on page 19 when the King of the Tantata's is giving a brief look at their history and the other fairies are reacting to his words.

Toriko Gourmet 256: True Enemy!! - finally feels like this mega arc of Toriko is ending but what was Acadia plan all along and whats up with arm and leg my guess is that Komatsu has done something with the dark art's, not much to say feels like the wind down and little bits are given to us. my favorite panel is page 34 Paste Phlegm!!

Naruto Number 653: I'm Always Watching. This was my favorite chapter of Naruto since getting WSJ, I think it's Kishimoto character acting in this was very strong especially for obito who I've been kinda cold on. I don't know what he'll do probably join Naruto and face the other threat, my panel of choice will have to be on page 51 because it made me go awww (I'm a big softy).

World Trigger Chapter 37: Osamu Mikumo: Part 6 - So we end the fight between Mikumo & Kazama in (dramatic drum roll) a tie ok so Mikumo lost twenty times before that but what is everyone talking about the tie Amatori is apologizing for SHOOTING A MASSIVE HOLE IN THE WALL. You don't need to apologize for that that was awesome you are my favorite of the trilogy now which panel to choose hmmm? This one! page 80 Jin and all the neighbors badass.

Bleach 555. The Hero - Ichigo has a new look...     ...again, ok so I like this new look don't know why yet, this one is very much a dragonball Goku running back to help his friends chapter, and we see what the quincies new form looks like hopefully see what this entails for the other soul reapers. my panel out of all the panels is definitely on page 90 it seems Ichigo has finally lighten up a lot saying he'll sneak off and have some food.

Nisekoi chapter 97: Request - Raku on a date with Marika and there's a mystery also her friend wacky and possibly Bi probally not this being Japan, I like Nisekoi for two reasons one is it's still pretty funnny which helps in the harem comedy story and the art is very good, can't say much about he mystery cause I know these character very little. now from this harem of panels I'll pick 105's last panel what is she doing?

One Punch Man special bonus chapter - man the art in this is great what to choose what to choose i'll take page 144 BANG! the story in OPM is getting better and better and funnier and funnier can't wait for the next chapter hope it's next week :D . If not guess I'll wait. :(

Blue Exorcist chapter 51:A Fool is the one whos is tricked - I don't know what's going on here really some dudes attacked these dudes so now there saving another dude. looks pretty. no panel pick  :(  not really invested enough.

Dragon Ball DBZ: 38 The Moon - So Goku won yay!! No of course not this is dragon ball we got another dozen chapters to go if my memory of the cartoon is right, ok I'm being silly now Dragon Ball in colour looks really nice the font not so much, The story in the manga goes at a nice pace if anything i wish i could enjoy it blind if no prior knowledge of the story like I am with the pre-DBZ series at the moment.My strongest panel is on Page 192 his tail goes like an angrey cat hee hee  :lol: .

This has been a great chapter all together my favorite one I've read.

next week Seraph of the End  :|  I quit. bye! :wave:

We're werewolves not swearwolves

The Adventurer

Hawkmonger and I typically have a few words to say about WSJ in the New Comics Megathread every week. If you want to join in.

I actually haven't finished reading this week's issue yet. But as for One-Piece. I've I'm getting the gist of it, I think Don Quixote is turning all of his potential rivals into Toys just to get them out of the way. Using the tournament to let them tire themselves out and get them all in one place.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Hawkmumbler

I actually look forward to hearing TA's words each week on the WSJ. For a while I thought i was the only person on here who read Shonen ( through collected editions) so getting the WSJ app was top of my list when I went digital. The attitude on this forum when it comes to niche comics is so much more tolerant than on more restrictive manga forums where they seem to have developed a snobby attitude. On the line up....

One Piece is always a winner for me. It's endlessly fun and knows how to get the right mix of action and down right silly to please my inner child. Doflamingo seem's to have been planning this arc's events for sometime, as he's been a constant thorn in the side oft he Straw Hats (albeit without them knowing) since day one. I think since Doflamingo has a devil fruit ability that is somehow compatible with that of his subordinates, as Trebol is the one who turns people into toys, Ceaser who enables them with artificial devil fruits and Violet who can see over the island through objects. Having a string based power he seem's be be acting as a puppet master over them....what confuses me though is his benefactor, Kedo of the four emperors, what does he exactly get from Doflamingo producing the DF smile?....

Bleach is another favourite of mine, indeed it was the first comic I ever read. Ichigo got new threads......again. And new zanpakuto.....again. But Kubo seem's to have left to many threads dangling to have the, wrapped up so quickly. The Fullbringers, Hollows, Arrancar and human world have all yet to get involved in the war with threads that have previously been established, but Kubo's writing style and erratic changes in pace often make it hard to predict when anything will be resolved.

Naruto just exists for me. It's lame, but neither here or there. I could easily live without it, but it's not offending me to any real degree. It just sort of is. Nisokoi on the other hand had potential. I quite enjoy love triangles if written correctly, and the first few chapter showed potential. But then it turned into your typical harem series with a few decent one off chapters. Vastly preferred Cross Menage, long may it rest in piece.

World Trigger, right, not bad all said and done. The art is a bit smooth but give it time and i'm sure it'll look just fine. The story is a bit by the numbers, but in that respect it's like a soft, worn pair of slippers. You can just slip the, on and no fuss. It's a little bit sad though that I think Chika isn't given nearly enough panel time. Her story arc seem's much more interesting than that of Kuga or Mikumo. I mean, the bloody girl blew a while through a think wall by accident. Bitches be crazy!

Toriko has finally brought me round. Though it isn't the greatest thing in the jump, it's not half bad. Some clever ideas and some utterly out there ideas, cool creature designs and completely hyperbolic action scenes. It could be so much worse. Frankly though I know little about beyond the recent flash back arc on Froese and Acacia. I might well start picking up the collections.

One-Punch Man is the dogs balls and no one anyone says can change that. It's just to awsome to be described in a single sentence, so i'll just talk about this weeks chapter. As a one off, it was good. It could have been easy for a fairly weekly 'monster of the week' series like OPM to just repeat the same stories very quickly, but it really doesn't seem to be running out of ideas anytime soon. And Saitama might well just be the most human superhero in recent comic book history.

Blue Exorcist and Seraph of the End or very similar to one another in terms of how i view them. i have limited experience with either, but enjoy them very much. They are kind of in the same boat as Toriko as I know so little about them, though Seraph is early days yet. Have started reading Blue Exorcist from the beginning though.

DBZ is just a bonus for me. I already know the whole story of by heart after a dozen reruns as a kid. Seeing the original art in colour is very cool though.

If I could ask for any other series to be included, Gintama, Tegami Bachi, Claymore and D.Gray-Man would all make good contributions to the fold, even if they are all from Jump Squared and the massive extra load each month might make it improbable. I have a solution to this. Drop Nisokoi. I mean it.

IronGraham

Toriko greatest strength has been it's fight scene one most fans point to is Toriko vs. Tommy Rod thats in Volume 10. series I'd like to see in jump JoJo's Bizarre Adventure from begining yes part ones bit meh but it's short and part two is great.

The Adventurer

I'd be down for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. I've heard its pretty wacky. But its been running for a while, yes? And its weekly? I don't think English Jump would be likely to serialize it from the beginning.

Somewhat related, have you guys been following Crunchyroll and their rollout of Day and Date digital Kodansha manga? Because that's a thing

Unfortunately its a subscription based digital streaming service, and not a 'buy what you want' service like Viz.

But... day and date Attack on Titan!

IronGraham

wow cool hope they do Vinland Saga that is a great story highly reconmend

Hawkmumbler

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes, thank you TA! Now I can keep up with SNK and Fairy Tail! I always thought Kodansha could make a killing from a monthly publicant.

I'd also be up for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. And Magi, Kingdom of Magic as well. That's Shonen Sunday I think.

And while where talking about accessible manga by week, there's always Yen Press's Yen+. I believe it's a downloadable PDF for desktops rather than a tablet feature but it might be doable. Monthly Soul Eater and Jack Frost is worth £2 i'd say.

IronGraham

does it has Yotsuba? cause if yes may have to consider it. Magi I got the first volume and really enjoyed it looking forward to the next.

Hawkmumbler

No Yotsuba i'm afraid but it does have the rather good Infernal Machines.

Hawkmumbler

Wondered this yesterday, have any of the SJ crossovers been published yet? Thus far I think theres been a One Piece/Toriko one and a One Piece/Dragon Ball Z.

The Adventurer

I bought one issue of Japanese Jump back in the summer, I think digital Japanese Jump was new at the time and I was curious how different from English Jump it really was. It was the big anniversary issue* that the One-Piece/Dragon Ball Z crossover ran. And while it was pretty short, and I couldn't read it, it just oozed charm. I was quite disappointed that it hasn't ran in English Jump. Perhaps its tied into some kind of licencing thing, or maybe English Jump is saving it for a light page-count week. But I would like to see it translated.

*another thing I quite liked about this issue of Japanese Jump, was that it ran a bunch of color versions of its most popular strips. English Jump did that too, but Japanese Jump also ran the regular Black and White versions too!

IronGraham

Dragonball One Piece cross epoch was already printed in the english shonen jump monthly magazine

Hawkmumbler

Thanks guys. That just leaves the One Piece x Toriko one (there where a few others but featuring series that aren't published in the English edition so I highly doubt we'll be seeing them) and with a bit of look that'll get the one shot treatment at sometime.

Hawkmumbler

OK. This weeks issue (#4/#5) is listed as having a single page missing in Toriko. I have deleted and re-downloaded as advised but to no avail. Is anyone else having this issue?

IronGraham

I didn't notice a missing page what was it of do they say