Main Menu

Judge Dredd Megazine 342

Started by IndigoPrime, 16 November, 2013, 03:54:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teivion

The Meg is currently Brilliant, I look forward to the next issue with fingers crossed- I hope the new batch of stories can carry this on.

Mabs

In this months Meg, a lot of the running stories will conclude with new ones waiting to take their places for the Christmas edition. And just like the past few months, this month we also have another excellent Meg on our hands.

Let me begin with the cover;  I always look forward to Colin MacNeil's covers but this right here is simply jawdroppingly, saliva droolingly magnificent. With the deep sepia toned background (with a 'magic hour' vibe to it), and the droid, bullet ridden but still standing in salute to a character off cover, it is at once a beautiful and sombre work. And quite possibly one of my favourite of the last few months.

We begin with Judge Dredd: Duty Calls, by Alec Worley and Ben Willsher. I have to say that I am on the fence regarding Willsher's art, I do not find it appealing yet do not dislike it either. One of my issues is with the ability to discern what is going on a lot of the time, no doubt it's very visceral but the rough scratchy style  just isn't  my cup of tea. Having said that, I did enjoy the story which revolves around Judge Dredd and a fellow Judge (Garrick) being holed up in a war ravaged area under attack from a rogue Judge, who looks like a cross between the Green Goblin and the Silver Surfer, taking pot shots at them from his Powerboard. It's a nice little tale, with a brilliant last panel showing the sacrifice made by all those who dies upholding the law. There's also a nod to some past Doctor Who's in one panel (what with it being the show's 50th Anniversary and what not) which I thought was pretty cool.

We then have an Interrogation with artist Will Simpson, which I enjoyed reading. I normally read the interviews/ features after finishing the strips, and this was another really informative and interesting piece by Mike Molcher looking into Mr. Simpson's upbringing and work through the years.  I can't say I'm familar with it (his work) , but what it does do is give me the desire to go and seek it out. He seems like a lovely bloke by the way!

Insurrection III (Part Nine) is up next and I must say I was trying my damnest not to choke up. It was a beautiful and heartbreaking finalĂ© to a magnificent series. I have read the second and now this, the last series, and I can comfortably say that it has been one of the best stories in the Meg during the last few years. I am saddened to see it end, but Dan Abnett gives it a memorable sendoff. I  had come to grow fond of the characters, from Simeon, Freely and Luther to all the droids and mutants which made up the Liberty brotherhood.

One thing I noticed during my reading of this series and the last one, is that we do not see the enemy, the Zhinds, face to face other then a shot of an arm (like here) or two. I wonder if that was that a conscious decision by Abnett and MacNeil? Nevertheless, I feel it works really well. Afterall, the real story is about the Insurrectionists and their persuers, and the characters on both sides.

Colin MacNeil's art is simply stunning, from the opening panel (where we see the title at the start rather than the end), to those quiet moments between Simeon and Freely which nearly brought a tear to my eye,  and the closing moments with the 'hooded figure' who relates the story. It's superb work indeed.

I will really miss this strip. I hope when we see it collected in a trade, we see the entire series in one book; how about a hardcover like Trifecta? That would be perfect. But for now all I can say is thank you Dan, Colin et al, for a marvellous, memorable story.

Ordinary (Part Three) follows soon after, and we have another mindbogglingly mad (not to mention delightful) episode! Our hero Richmond Cle...er, I mean Michael Fisher still carries on with his quest to locate his son, while the world around him goes bonkers. From those in high places, to those on the streets, nobody has a clue what is going on with everyone exhibiting his/ her own extraordinary powers except for poor old Michael. But as is demonstrated with his encounter with a human bomb, not everyone has it easy. This is another fun packed episode from Rob Williams, and some lovely art from D'Israeli. I'm looking forward to seeing how the story developes next month.

Next up, another Interrogation, this time with Warwick Johnson Cadwell. I really enjoyed reading it, although slightly shorter than the first interview. There's some lovely art on display from Cadwell, and I'd love to seek some of it out. Well done to Matthew Badham and Mike Molcher for two really enjoyable Interrogations!

Finally, Dredd: Underbelly (Part Three). I must say I was really disappointed with this concluding episode. There are some excellent panels on display by Henry Flint, not least that double page splash of the block interior (it reminded me of Minority Report's Spyder scene), but Arthur Wyatt's script for this episode was so....uninspiring. I mean it started off pretty well, I enjoyed Part One and Two, but was not overly bowled over by it. As soon as I thought things would get interesting, it bloody ends. That's the problem, the story felt too brief, not to mention no way near as exciting or thrilling as the movie. In fact, if this was a live-action sequel, it would probably be a really poor one. I mean sequels....they're rarely good. Hopefully the threequel (if there is one) will fare much better.

So a pretty strong Meg overall. Ordinary and Insurrection were the standout for me. It'll be interesting to see some of the new line ups next issue, and I'm looking forward to it too!

Before I finish, a small word on the floppy - Lobster Random; I fragging loved it! This is some trade quality stuff, I'm surprised to see it in the floppy. I'm not a big fan of Spurrier's work, but his creation of Lobster Random is inspirational stuff! The story was laugh out loud funny, with some eye popping artwork by Carl Critchlow. I say it again, how on earth was this not in a trade?!! It boggles the mind!

:lol:

The extra Future Shock stories at the end were also a blast, not least 'Big Red', with its futuristic take on Moby Dick!

Judge Dredd Megazine: 4/5
Lobster Randon: Tooth & Claws: 5/5
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Some minor corrections; Inability, not ability. Died, not dies.  Typos are like roaches - sneaky little buggers!

Also I feel I must clarify my position on Simon Spurrier's work; I find I cannot engage with his stuff most of the time, whether it is the style of his writing I do not know, but it might be a factor. For example, I could not for the life of me, get into the recent Lowlife story which made up 1/3 of Trifecta. Or even Numbercrunchers, whilst amusing (with some lovely art by P.J) I couldn't really get into, although it did have its moments. That is why Lobster Random took me totally by surprise, I thought I wouldn't enjoy it but by Jove  was I wrong! I hope we get another series soon as the floppy ended with the possibilty of a future story.

Also Ben Willsher; I know he is a highly talented individual, his work on the Day of Chaos storyline will testify to that, but sometimes his style can be a little distracting for me. It's just individual taste I suppose. I know a lot of you guys would probably feel different about his artwork and probably admire it, and that for me is a good thing. We all have differing tastes and with me, I tend to go for  a more 'tidier' style, such as the works of Colin MacNeil, D'Israeli, David Roach and so on.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Correction; The Simping Detective, not Lowlife (which I enjoyed).

I think I'm losing my mind....

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Recrewt

Triple post Mabs - the sentence is death!  ;)

Yeah, the Meg continues to be really good this month.  I enjoyed the Dredd tale and personally really like Mr Willsher's artwork.  Insurrection ended well but this episode didn't have the same impact as last month's.  Ordinary goes from strength to strength with some great dialog and interesting super-powers.  Underbelly also concluded - I am a big fan of Mr Flint's artwork and that double-page spread was a beauty but perhaps this has all been a bit short and would have been better if it were longer. 

The Lobster Random floppy was a great addition.  Some of the dialog in this was great and Carl Critchlow's artwork is really stunning.  I have recently read the first Lob tale (no gain, no pain) and would say that I enjoyed this one a bit more.

So, a great Meg but I always get nervous when we have a couple of stories end as it will be all change next month.  And still no news of that Below Zero floppy!  >:( 

Mabs

Quote from: Recrewt on 29 November, 2013, 10:13:34 AM
Triple post Mabs - the sentence is death!  ;)

Sorry! I'd blame the edit button....or the lack one!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Does anyone have any idea what Dr. Tara McDonald's powers are in Ordinary? The vice-President asks her "what exactly are your powers? I don't see one", and she replies "yes, as a matter of fact you do". Forgive me for saying so but have I missed something as she doesn't exhibit any powers?!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Batman's Superior Cousin

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Mabs

Oh is it? I thought I missed something!   :-\

Cheers!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

DrJomster

Oh my word, it's another brilliant Meg! Great work folks. It's a pleasure to see the Meg having a good strong run. Very generous giving Lobster Random as the floppy.
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

jackstarr

I thought the whole point of Ordinary is that his ordinariness (is that a real word?!) IS his power.   Everyone has a different power, and his is that he maintains his original state of being - which I'm sure will come in handy what with all the craziness going on.

I really didn't enjoy the Dredd movie sequel - it just didn't do anything for me - I couldn't get over the chin, which seemed more exaggerated than in the main strip, and could be quite offputting to those new to the comic version - and the ending was a bit of a damp squib. 

Insurrection was the absolute highlight of the meg for me, followed by the Will Simpson interview - I've always wondered what had happened to Will as he drew many of my favourite comics back in the day.  The lobster floppy (oo-err missus) was the icing on the cake - can't go wrong with Carl Critchlow on art, even if the story doesn't always live up to the art.

Proudhuff

Quote from: jackstarr on 13 December, 2013, 08:04:59 PM
I thought the whole point of Ordinary is that his ordinariness (is that a real word?!) IS his power.   Everyone has a different power, and his is that he maintains his original state of being - which I'm sure will come in handy what with all the craziness going on.

Dr Tara is the woman talking to the prez, she has a power: stating the obvious perhaps?  ;)

And yes the leads ordinariness makes him unique, and needed by the state as Dr Tara states.
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Is 343 out this Wednesday?  If so, can I somehow find the money to get 342 before it's -sob- gone from the shelves.

I could do a sponsored shut-the-feck-up.  For every 5 euro received in my PayPal account I won't post for one whole day.  Just think, for only 50 euro you could see the sense-to-bollocks ratio of this site soar between now and Christmas.  Don't you owe it to yourselves to have a peaceful festive season?

Alternatively, I'll type dirty to you for very reasonable rates on my premium-rate PM channel, message me now for the very hottest in Scott-on-Roger fantasy prose action.  Terms and conditions apply, satisfaction not guaranteed, Roger's Mom is not part of this offer, your details may be passed to a third party or parties for prosecution in relevant jurisdictions).

Hawkmumbler

Capitalistic filth! You disgust me! :P

If it's any conciliation Senior Tordels, i still have to pick this meg. And if paypal wasn't taking an age to verify my account i'd have payed Proudhuff for that lovely stack of back issues he sold me. >:(

Mabs

Since no one has opened a thread for this months new Meg, I might as well say it here;

THANK YOU JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE!

Why? 'cos I only got my letter published for the upcoming issue!  :D

Slight little problem though, I got a gift; Judge Dredd Case Files 14, and unfortunately I already own a copy! So here's what I'm going to do, I'll keep the copy that I received from the good folks at the Meg, and swap or sell my old copy with anyone who's willing. If anyone had has a double of a 2000ad book, that I've yet to read I'm happy to swap the case file for it. If I don't hear from anyone then you can take my old copy for a fiver, including P&P (it's in excellent near mint condition if anyone is worried about about swapping/ buying).

In the mean time, I'm going to give the copy I received a re-read, afterall, Necropolis rocks!

And a big thank you to everyone at the Meg, I really appreciate it!  :)

My Twitter @nexuswookie