Main Menu

Judge Dredd Megazine 343

Started by IndigoPrime, 14 December, 2013, 04:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

The coverline argues this one is a "Christmas Knockout", and I must admit, that's pretty apt. The Dredd one-shot did the business pretty well, with Carroll continuing to show he has a decent grasp on the character. Newcomer to Dredd Duane Leslie provides art that felt a little off in some cases (odd scaling and a certain cartoonishness that put me in mind of the likes of Yan Shimony) but was nicely dynamic. DeMarco and Anderson have good starts as well, with Dowling's interpretation of Cass looking suitably grown-up, rather than some 20-something model. Ordinary, to my mind, was well on the way to becoming a modern classic, and the new episode does nothing to counter that.

For me, though, I truly loved the interview with Simon Harrison, whose thinking totally resonated with me. Along with his memories about working for 2000 AD, and the path he took, there's a lot of insight into his thinking from childhood onwards about the creative process and the importance of nurturing kids, enabling them to do what they want as a career. Top stuff.

IronGraham

May I say that this year I think has been some of Cliff Robinsons best work on covers
We're werewolves not swearwolves

Richard

This is already looking like it will be the best new Anderson story we have seen in several years. And I like this new artist Michael Dowling, he reminds me of Peter Doherty.

A decent Dredd outing by Michael Caroll too, I used to not like his Dredd stories but I agree that he has now got the character right. I like the humour too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Richard on 14 December, 2013, 07:01:54 PM
And I like this new artist Michael Dowling, he reminds me of Peter Doherty.

I thought that when I saw the preview over on CBR. Anyhoo can anyone tell me is the mini-trade the early DeMarco stories this month?

IronGraham

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 14 December, 2013, 07:11:31 PMI thought that when I saw the preview over on CBR. Anyhoo can anyone tell me is the mini-trade the early DeMarco stories this month?
Ways to Die (3.70–3.71)
Deep Blue Death (4.03–4.05)
Covers: 3.71, 4.03

Harmony: Homeward Bound (2.62)

Next month: More DeMarco and Harmony, apparently.

IronGraham

My what a lovely read, art was superb on all fronts. I'm looking forward to what sort of Anderson story Mr Grant is going to do seeing as we have old stoney tagging along hopefully not to preachy. I liked that the story in Dredd connect with prof 2014 very nice choice Mr Carroll, also looking forward to seeing how the new mega city develops in Demarco.

The interrogations I liked the Davis one but the Harrison one kind of rubbed me the wrong way he seemed a bit full of himself to me.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Mabs

I had a sneak peak on CBR and was awed to find Guy Davis in the Interrogation feature; the guy (no pun intended) is one of my heroes!  :)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

IndigoPrime

Quote from: IronGraham on 14 December, 2013, 08:36:38 PMThe interrogations I liked the Davis one but the Harrison one kind of rubbed me the wrong way he seemed a bit full of himself to me.
I didn't get that at all from the interview. It felt honest and he noted that he was grateful for the opportunities he got, but that they made him understand what was really important was following his own path.

IronGraham

Yeah I can see after I wrote that I've been mulling it over and think it was too harsh I'll take it back and appologise for my previous comment.

JUDGE BURNS

My MEG arrived saturday as usual, BUT......, as the weather was appalling and the flimsy plastic wrap that the MEG arrived in was ripped ...it ruined my copy.  >:(

The packaging is far too thin and rips so easily.  Its taken me a couple of days to dry it off, but its not going to be part of my collection. I will have to go buy another copy when it hits the shops.  :(

Anyone else with the same problem?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 16 December, 2013, 04:11:31 PM
Anyone else with the same problem?

Never. I'd suggest the issue may be more with crap postmen than with the packaging.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IndigoPrime

Definitely a postie thing. That happens here occasionally when they're being idiots and/or are new. Today, MacUser arrived, shortly followed by the packaging it was freed from after being forced through the letterbox that hadn't been opened first.

The Monarch

we're getting the purple harmony next month?

I assumed that would be with robohunter and brit cit brute in the no chance in hell this will be reprinted box

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me