Main Menu

2000AD Presents Sci-Fi Thrillers

Started by Ancient Otter, 28 December, 2013, 07:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancient Otter

Here are the contents:

The Visible Man (just the original story, not the recent one)
Colony Earth
Homer the Barbarian
The Pioneer
The Amazing Maze Dumoir
Psi-testers
Candy and the Catchman
Universal Soldier
Tribal Memories
Life Cycle
Family
Xtnct
Superbean
2000AD prog 558 cover for Tribal Memories (in black and white only)
Family collection cover
Xtnct collection cover

The collection  cover is on the last page with every item numbered and the item reference guide is the other side of the page.

TordelBack

Thanks Otter!  That is an incredible line-up for a book - just having Xtnct, Maze Dumoir and Tribal Memories under one cover would be enough to make it a compulsory purchase.  Adding in that arsom cover and so much else moves it to just take all my money why don't you Tharg country (it's a big country).

What's the repro like, Otter?

Ancient Otter

After having a quick flick through reproduction seems okay.

TordelBack

Just bought it.  It's bloody lovely.  I don't know who has responsibility for the contents of this one, whether it's all Matt or involves Keith, Kathryn, Mike or Simon too, but my hat is off - it's a wonderful warts-and-all showcase of the breadth and beauty of 2000AD itself, at a shockingly reasonable price.  Thrilled to have so many great stories at my fingertips again, and in an odd way in the anthology format they belong in.  I plan to append reviews of the individual stories as I work through them properly, but in the meantime I couldn't recommend this collection enough.

Molch-R

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 December, 2013, 03:31:19 PM
Just bought it.  It's bloody lovely.  I don't know who has responsibility for the contents of this one, whether it's all Matt or involves Keith, Kathryn, Mike or Simon too, but my hat is off

Keith edits the graphic novels, so he's the one who makes the call on contents.

davepain

I bought this from Forbidden Planet last weekend (along with Robo-Hunter Vol 1) but not read any yet.

As a non-veteran, is it all Future Shocks material or also short stories?

Cheers!

BPP

Its a complete variety - series and one-offs, shocks and stand-alones from the earliest progs to more modern Megs.

Its natural precursor is that 'Best of 2000AD' hardback that came out a few years ago.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

deadman1971

Judge Brian

Maze Dumoir needs to make her way back to the prog.

Dark Jimbo

Back in December, the 2000 AD Facebook page ran a competition - guess as many of the referenced stories on the cover image as possible and those who do best will win prizes. To be honest I was just after a free copy of the book - imagine my surprise when I actually guessed more of the characters and stories than anyone else, and won first prize!

I got to ask Mike Perkins for an A4 inked sketch of any Tooth character that I liked. It took me all of two minutes to decide on Ukko, knowing that Mike had tackled the character several times before now. It finally arrived today, and it is gorgeous. I'll use the image from the winning announcement as I couldn't get it to scan quite as well as this -

But just to prove I really did get it, here's me coveting my new accquisition (hmm, think Ukko is having a bad influence on me already) -

It's a fair bit bigger than A4, and the detail is immense. My very first piece of original art, and I love it!
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Seriously great prize there Jimbo.
Let's hope this taste for original art isn't as slippery a slope as it is for some of us...

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 February, 2014, 07:37:35 PM
Let's hope this taste for original art isn't as slippery a slope as it is for some of us...

I couldn't begin to afford it!  :o
@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

that's lovely Jimbo - post it on the Commissions thread :D
It's a joke. I was joking.