Main Menu

Judge Dredd Megazine 344

Started by Banners, 09 January, 2014, 11:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikey

Quote from: JUDGE BURNS on 09 January, 2014, 08:35:09 PM
but I havn't enjoyed reading Ordinary at all since it started. I think it's the artwork thats puts me off the story completely.

Are you quite mad?! Horses for courses and all that, but the art for me is just absolutely gorgeous and is so easy to read my eyes feel like they're slipping over ice. Warm fluffy ice like. So yeah, I love Ordinary and this episode has ramped up the tension perfectly for the big finale next month.

Dredd was a great one shot and really felt like a classic Dredd to me: crazy crim, internal monologue, stubborn bastard lawman with a dash of the weird. This was all helped along by Guera's art that had a really nice old fashioned vibe without being overtly self conscious. This was my first taste of his work and mighty fine it was (though I thought Dredd looked a bit out of proportion on the first page - teeny, tiny quibble!).

DeMarco is also going great guns, it almost feels like a new character. Reading the floppy doe smake me miss Travis a bit though...

Anderson - yeah, like IndigoPrime says this seems to be hitting the mark really well. I think with Grant on Anderson, in particular with the more introspective yarns like this, the artist is really important as the emotion and tone need to be just right to highlight Grant's script. Dowling has got this down pat - really lush colour pallette setting the tone perfectly. Felt a genuine pang of fear [spoiler]when she held the Lawgiver under her chin.[/spoiler] Brilliant stuff I'm happy to say.

Kind of skimmed the Marvel UK article but enjoyed the creator features as usual.

The Meg continues it's great run! Long may it do so!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Mikey on 10 January, 2014, 09:54:20 AMAre you quite mad?! Horses for courses and all that, but the art for me is just absolutely gorgeous and is so easy to read my eyes feel like they're slipping over ice. Warm fluffy ice like.
Yep. I'm a huge fan of Matt Brooker. He seems perfect for this strip—dynamic and imaginative execution, finely balancing a certain amount of realism with outright madness.

Dandontdare

The meg is on absolutely cracking form at the moment.

The Dredd one-shot was brilliant, I love artists who portray Dredd in all his aged grizzled and scarred glory. Nice line about the horse at the end too.

Ordinary is one of the finest things I've read in a long while. The Pink Floyd inspired teacher was genius, as are so many of the background characters. Only thing that puzzled me was [spoiler]that I thought the two-headed Maori bouncer had been frozen solid when turned to gold?[/spoiler]

DeMarco is greatly enjoyable, but I think sometimes the judges let her get away with an awful lot of illegal stuff.

Not read the text articles yet, but they look interesting as always.

Anderson is grim, but gripping

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Dandontdare on 10 January, 2014, 11:18:56 AMDeMarco is greatly enjoyable, but I think sometimes the judges let her get away with an awful lot of illegal stuff.
I'm guessing because of her relationship with Dredd combined with pure pragmatism—they don't like her methods, but she's smart and gets the job done. In a post-DoC world, that makes more sense than ever. (Plus although she may not always be legal, she's on the line when it comes to the big stuff, like murder.)

oshii

The Meg is the best it's been in absolutely ages at the moment.  No duffers in there at all.

One thing about De Marco - [spoiler]wouldn't that indestructible Nano bot stuff have avoided all that Chaos Day mass death stuff?[/spoiler].  Enjoying the Carroll Dredd-verse at the moment with all the Sov stuff.

The Man Comes Around was rather excellent.  Rob Williams said somewhere about how the art would have looked fantastic on the old 2000AD bog paper and he's right. 

Ordinary continues to be marvelous.   Can't agree with whoever said they don't like the art.  D'israeli can do no wrong in my book, and the whole concept is just so simple.

Anderson: I've thought for a long time that the Cass being appalled and sickened by the brutality of life in the Meg has to go somewhere, so to see it moving on was interesting. Great art as well.

Tjm86

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 10 January, 2014, 10:27:54 AM
Quote from: Mikey on 10 January, 2014, 09:54:20 AMAre you quite mad?! Horses for courses and all that, but the art for me is just absolutely gorgeous and is so easy to read my eyes feel like they're slipping over ice. Warm fluffy ice like.
Yep. I'm a huge fan of Matt Brooker. He seems perfect for this strip—dynamic and imaginative execution, finely balancing a certain amount of realism with outright madness.

Amen.  I also had a quiet chuckle at the Pink Floyd tribute with the teacher.

Proudhuff

gggrrrr, must get my subbie sorted out...
DDT did a job on me

The Enigmatic Dr X

I'm reading too much into it, I know.

It's idle fannish speculation, I know.

But I can't help but think that the fixation with Dredd and Anderson's mortality - in the Meg and Prog - is going to tie in to Dark Judgement.
Lock up your spoons!

Apestrife

Loved Anderson and Dredd. Both the art and the writing was ace. And as someone already said, Cas pointing the gun to her head was almost a bit scary. Best Anderson I'v read in a long time!

It's tales like these two that sells me that DoC happened.

Love the art of ordinary, but I'm waiting till the story is finished. The first read mega but I want the whole thing infront of me.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: Apestrife on 15 January, 2014, 11:36:17 AM
Love the art of ordinary, but I'm waiting till the story is finished. The first read mega but I want the whole thing infront of me.

It ends next month!!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

IndigoPrime

HOO-HAA

DREDD: Great one-shot. Particularly loved the parting line at the end: typical, no-nonsense Dredd. Brings up the question of how long they're going to let ol' Joe run for, though. What age is he now, 70 odd?

ANDERSON: Loving this new mature take on Anderson (although do prefer her with longer hair). Brilliant, slow-burn of a story. Very character-driven. Awesome.

DeMarco: Yep, it's fun stuff and a great new potential sidekick in our invincible mutie. Let's hope he sticks around.

ORDINARY: It's okay. Reminds me a lot of GIRLS by the Luna Brothers, especially the artwork. Certainly entertaining but, and this may just be me, I would much prefer all stories within the Meg to be Dreddworld based.

Mabs

I don't mind having at least one strip which isn't based or connected to Dredd's world. Otherwise we wouldn't have had the pleasure of reading gems such as Snapshot, Ordinary and my personal fave - Lilly McKenzie!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

NapalmKev

Another quality Meg!

Ordinary is amazing, and still my favorite current Meg story. Liked the Pink Floyd reference, and Dougal from Magic Roundabout.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

The Adventurer

Anyone else really weirded out by seeing Dredd's eyes in this month's Dredd?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK