Main Menu

Prog 1866: Jail Break!

Started by A.Cow, 25 January, 2014, 11:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Dredd: Top stuff! Great writing, especially the line about being weak, and gorgeous, gritty art.

Ulysses Sweet: Sorry, but I've given up now. There's just too much going on. It's too wordy and I lost interest. Love the art.

ABC Warriors: Yeah, OK. It's not for me. It's like a series of trading cards and I prefer a story.

Grey Area: I'm waiting to see where this goes. I like it usually. Early days.

Stront: Bang bang shooty shooty! I can't get enough of Evil Johnny At War. Wagner and Ezquerra every week? A treat.

- Trout

Apestrife

Quote from: Steve Green on 25 January, 2014, 10:39:04 PM
Titan

[spoiler]

So they can give someone a new set of carbon-fibre lungs, face changes, rejuves, bionic eyes, grow new arms, but Titan surgery is irreversible?

Yeah, right.

[/spoiler]

Where does it say that? In this story? Anyhows, in Wilderlands McGruder states that it is possible to reverse, but the psychic scars aren't

Anyways.

Good prog. While Dredd wasn't as spectacular as usual this issue I think some good stuff is to come, especially due to the character that showed up in the end. Hope there's an explanation about Nixon being there and rearmed. Can't praise Henry Flint's art enough.

Love the war going on in Strontinum Dog. Especially the primal vibe it has.

Flipped through ABC, Grey and Sweet. Not bad comics, but they didn't do much for me.

Steve Green

Not in this story, but in a strip where it's been shown time and again by other writers (and even the same writer) what technological things are available.

Say take, a gigantic flying megacity for example - it was one line that felt crowbarred in to add jeopardy, and didn't believe a word of it.

I find it pretty unlikely that [spoiler]Sinfield would have his uniform either, but maybe there's going to be an explanation for that, and Nixon's new arm...[/spoiler]

judgerufian

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 28 January, 2014, 04:59:11 PM
Quote from: judgerufian on 28 January, 2014, 04:31:40 PM
ABC Warriors: Its notched up a gear only to end this week. What? I'd be annoyed if it was heading somewhere but im sure the next chapter will be Morrigun flashbacks before she/it gets blasted out of the Warriors and we'll have to go through this all again seen from a different perspective.

You realise it's back in two weeks? Just a quick break to help Langley with a deadline, I assume.

I dont know if thats good or bad news as I'd like to see something else in its place due to so many weeks of ABC non-activity! Mind you Ulysses Sweet will hopefully be over by then.....

Spaceghost

Love that cover. Dredd 'presenting' on all fours to Aimee's massive weapon. Oh my!

Dredd is really brutal this week. I found myself wincing as I read the list of his injuries. Poor old sod.

A part of me wonders if this whole 'Aimee as bad guy' thing has been one long undercover Wally Squad assignment and she's somehow on Dredd's side. Far fetched I know. Mind you, suddenly re-grown limbs and crooked Chief Judges being allowed to take their uniform to Titan are far fetched too.

I seem to be the only person on the forum who's enjoying Ulysees Sweet. For me, there's at least one LOL moment in every episode. The scene with the count down, blackout and subsequent assault did it for me this week.

It's not Shakespeare, no, but it actually makes me laugh which is more that can be said for the likes of other so-called comedy strips such as Bec and Kawl or Lobster Random.

This newest series has been the one which has finally got me hooked on Grey Area. It reminds me of cross between District 9 and Alan Moore's Top Ten for somewhat obvious reasons. I'd love to see this adapted for TV.

Any news of a collected edition coming out?

I'm confused, where exactly in continuity/timeline are we supposed to be in ABC Warriors? I'm guessing this is just before they had Mek-Quake commited and then went off to recruit Zippo? If so, doesn't it seem a bit strange that Happy Shrapnel hasn't been mentioned by anyone in the strip for the past 20 years despite him being alive?

Whatever. I've got a soft spot for these characters but I really want some kind of story or mission to happen instead of this constant retconning and re-visiting the past.

Which brings me to Strontium Dog. I'm enjoying this too but have to wonder where it's going. Either the mutants will win the war (unlikely) and, what? destroy norm society? Not sure how that would work.

Or, the norms win and kill/imprison the surving muties resulting in the end of the strip. Can't see that either to be honest. The only outcome that I can see working is a truce between the two sides. Wagner has surprised me before though...

All in all, I'm enjoying everything at the moment to varying degrees. I seem to be in the minority though.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Verence

As for Sinfield still having his uniform..... maybe it isn't "his" uniform but one he has managed to "borrow" from a recent arrival to Titan

Spaceghost

Quote from: Verence on 29 January, 2014, 11:09:04 AM
As for Sinfield still having his uniform..... maybe it isn't "his" uniform but one he has managed to "borrow" from a recent arrival to Titan

...who just happened to be called Sinfield? Also, why would any Judge who has broken the law, been kicked out of the force and sent to Titan be allowed to keep their uniform, let alone take it with them as a 'souvenir'?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Spaceghost on 29 January, 2014, 10:44:03 AM
I'm confused, where exactly in continuity/timeline are we supposed to be in ABC Warriors? I'm guessing this is just before they had Mek-Quake commited and then went off to recruit Zippo? If so, doesn't it seem a bit strange that Happy Shrapnel hasn't been mentioned by anyone in the strip for the past 20 years despite him being alive?

Actually Pat's been playing a bit of a long game here - the gang have been mentioning Tubal as their armourer/mechanic since Langely first started on the strip back in 2007.
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

It didn't make much sense in the Day the Law Died either.

Why would they have a potentially very dangerous prisoner be transported in a uniform that is designed to protect them on the streets of the meg?

Yeah, I know 'because it looks good'

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 January, 2014, 11:52:53 AM

Actually Pat's been playing a bit of a long game here - the gang have been mentioning Tubal as their armourer/mechanic since Langely first started on the strip back in 2007.

Yeah, was just gonna mention that- Tubal Caine has been name dropped more times than Dr. Dre on Eminem's 1st album.

You're not the only one enjoying Ulysees Sweet by the way Lee- I'm digging the whole package.

Spaceghost

Quote from: Link Prime on 29 January, 2014, 12:09:22 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 January, 2014, 11:52:53 AM

Yeah, was just gonna mention that- Tubal Caine has been name dropped more times than Dr. Dre on Eminem's 1st album.

You're not the only one enjoying Ulysees Sweet by the way Lee- I'm digging the whole package.

Now you both mention it, yes, I remember. This whole re-write, 'this is what really happened' story arc has been going on for so long, I'd forgotten some of the details.

Glad you're liking Ulysees Sweet too Link. There's so much hate for that strip and I don't really understand why.

Dark Jimbo

I'm liking Ulysess too! Although I would say it's definately starting to feel too wordy for its own good by this point, something I worried might happen since the first episode. Can understand why some people might not like it, but don't quite understand all the outright hate - it's just meant to be a bit of fun!

I'd be happy to see it back, but I'd suggest that shorter stories (say 6 parts or so) are the way to go for this character.
@jamesfeistdraws

judgerufian

I'd say that theres not much hate for Ulysses Sweet, its mostly indifference.....which is so much worse  :lol:

A.Cow

Quote from: Spaceghost on 29 January, 2014, 11:16:59 AM
...who just happened to be called Sinfield? Also, why would any Judge who has broken the law, been kicked out of the force and sent to Titan be allowed to keep their uniform, let alone take it with them as a 'souvenir'?

I'd imagine that a mining colony isn't short of metal.  And -- given this is the 22nd Century -- maybe this high-tech facility has some antique 3D metal printers (like those used in the aerospace industry back in 2014).

IIRC, there were plenty of dead uniformed judges (warders?) floating in orbit.  Certainly fits with Sinfield's vanity that he'd go out of his way to grab a uniform & get a new badge made.

Spaceghost

Quote from: A.Cow on 29 January, 2014, 04:41:20 PM
Quote from: Spaceghost on 29 January, 2014, 11:16:59 AM

I'd imagine that a mining colony isn't short of metal.  And -- given this is the 22nd Century -- maybe this high-tech facility has some antique 3D metal printers (like those used in the aerospace industry back in 2014).

IIRC, there were plenty of dead uniformed judges (warders?) floating in orbit.  Certainly fits with Sinfield's vanity that he'd go out of his way to grab a uniform & get a new badge made.

In geekdom, this is known as 'papering over the cracks'. I suppose it's possible though.

Ooh look, I just passed 2000 posts!