Main Menu

Prog 1866: Jail Break!

Started by A.Cow, 25 January, 2014, 11:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verence

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 January, 2014, 11:56:28 AM
It didn't make much sense in the Day the Law Died either.

Why would they have a potentially very dangerous prisoner be transported in a uniform that is designed to protect them on the streets of the meg?

Yeah, I know 'because it looks good'

Sounds good to me  :)

Verence

Quote from: Spaceghost on 29 January, 2014, 10:44:03 AM
Which brings me to Strontium Dog. I'm enjoying this too but have to wonder where it's going. Either the mutants will win the war (unlikely) and, what? destroy norm society? Not sure how that would work.

Or, the norms win and kill/imprison the surving muties resulting in the end of the strip. Can't see that either to be honest. The only outcome that I can see working is a truce between the two sides. Wagner has surprised me before though...

If Strontium Dog was a Marvel or DC story the whole sterilisation thing would be cured by a mutant with magic powers

Tjm86

Quote from: eamonn1961 on 27 January, 2014, 09:46:02 PM
Was this the last we saw of Nixon?
From prog 1761

That was my thought as well.  How did she land up there .... Have to go back and have a trawl.

Frank

Quote from: A.Cow on 29 January, 2014, 04:41:20 PM
I'd imagine that a mining colony isn't short of metal.  And -- given this is the 22nd Century -- maybe this high-tech facility has some antique 3D metal printers (like those used in the aerospace industry back in 2014). IIRC, there were plenty of dead uniformed judges (warders?) floating in orbit.  Certainly fits with Sinfield's vanity that he'd go out of his way to grab a uniform & get a new badge made.

It isn't Byron's uniform - that's standard street judge apparel, with the eagle pad and name badge rather than two shoulder pads and eagle chest plate. Nuanced Judge Cal Sinfield is last seen sporting the full ceremonial garb of the highest office as he's led away at the end of Tour of Duty. Given the power relations implied by the manner in which Nixon addresses him in that last panel - and the shocking way he looks - I'm not sure the way he's dressed is entirely of his choosing.

If you've devised a plan which trades on the credibility of an unpleasant and hitherto unknown truth being revealed by a former chief judge who is now physiognomically indistinguishable from any of the other inmates, I suppose sticking a badge which reads SINFIELD on him isn't such a crazy idea *. I've always imagined the name section of judges' badges to be like scrabble tile holders, rather than every badge being individually minted and monogrammed to order.

* Byron appears to be missing a throat and mandible (including lips?), which might rule out voice ID

Frank

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: sauchie on 29 January, 2014, 08:36:52 PM
If you've devised a plan which trades on the credibility of an unpleasant and hitherto unknown truth being revealed by a former chief judge who is now physiognomically indistinguishable from any of the other inmates, I suppose sticking a badge which reads SINFIELD on him isn't such a crazy idea.

I like that, it's a nice rationalisation.

Quote from: sauchie on 29 January, 2014, 08:36:52 PM
I've always imagined the name section of judges' badges to be like scrabble tile holders, rather than every badge being individually minted and monogrammed to order.

I like that too!
@jamesfeistdraws

Steve Green

It has been shown that way before, where letters have fallen off.

It just makes me think there's a Titan version of Countdown going on, where they have to keep offing street judges until they get the correct letters.

Goaty

Wow Prog is so brilliant!

I do feelings I maybe expecting [spoiler]Bullet to King Four to Nixon [/spoiler]in Dredd...

Frank

Quote from: Steve Green on 29 January, 2014, 08:46:50 PM
It just makes me think there's a Titan version of Countdown going on, where they have to keep offing street judges until they get the correct letters.

HA! Judges Ayad Allawi and Eoin Eireann would be first to go; Judge Xylophone can probably relax.

Hawkmumbler

ZenArcade

A lot of people have a downer on Ulysses Sweet, I think it's hilarious. Brings back fond memories of Rogue and the biochips.
I'm still not really sold on the new incarnation of Strontium Dog (as much as it pains me to say so).
Dredd is excellent, top line artwork and an intriguing plot.
ABC Warriors is getting a bit better; but have to agree with some posts 're the 'non linearity'  of Langleys work on this.
Rest is so so.
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

russledust

As a relatively new reader, i was wondering if someone could tell me, are the prisoners beating on Dredd well known? Were they featured in previous stories? Aside from Sinfield and Nixon, obvs.

The big moustache on one of them made me think of Judge Manners AKA Bad Manners but he got killed to bits  :D
Dredd
Nikolai Dante
Savage

My top 3, in order of preference :D

Spikes

Two Prog's was on offer in the newsagent today. One was torn, and a bit crumpled.
A potentially nightmare-ish game, this hunting down the Prog.

Anyway, got to read it whilst having a quiet moment at work.....

Cover is by Mr Flint, so is aces.
Dredd continues in very fine form. A bit of a episode where not much is given away, or the story isn't moved on that much, but still plenty to mull over, and the guessing game continues.
Love the memory wipe drug, which explains Dredd battered and bruised appearance at the start. And now Sinfield at the end. The uniform puzzled, briefly, but as others have said, it wouldn't be the hardest task to find one somewhere.

But yes, this Dredd tale is now officially one of my faves. Writing and art on top form.

Delay the other Dredd tales Tharg, and extend this one please!

Ulysses Sweet continues to, kinda, reverse my initial opinion of it, by being so bonkers that im liking it. Though as ive said, its probably not one ill return to for a re-read at any point.

Did somebody mention 'indifference' earlier, In regards to this? Nowt worse than that, I guess.

A nice 2001 moment in the ABC's. Again, im not totally enamoured by this, but not disliking it either. One week its pretty good, then the next its kinda so-so.
Fairly inconsequential stuff all told? 

Grey Area continues in fine form, though perhaps a slight dip this week? This run has been, overall, pretty good. So a slight dip is a minor niggle, really.

And Stronty just seems rather tired. I hate to say it, but there you go. Maybe its me. But a re-read is on the cards once this run ends.

And a nice little reminder on the inside back cover to snag a copy of the Meg (Purely for Mr Williams' Dredd).

A bit hit and miss this week, but Dredd continues to be a joy.

ChickenStu

I am really enjoying the Judge Dredd strip. REALLY enjoying it!
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Mabs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 29 January, 2014, 12:31:31 PM
I'm liking Ulysess too! Although I would say it's definately starting to feel too wordy for its own good by this point, something I worried might happen since the first episode. Can understand why some people might not like it, but don't quite understand all the outright hate - it's just meant to be a bit of fun!

I'd be happy to see it back, but I'd suggest that shorter stories (say 6 parts or so) are the way to go for this character.

I'm also liking Ulysses Sweet too! Yes it's a bit barmy and clearly not for everyone, but I find it quite hilarious. Also,  I agree that future stories should be a little shorter. Short but Sweet, eh!  ;)
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie