Main Menu

GOTHAM.

Started by strontium71, 12 February, 2014, 08:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Heh!

Apt mockery aside, many of the best bits of Year One are young Gordon's struggles to do his job in a corrupt Gotham PD, so it could well work on that level. 

Ghastly McNasty

lolz. You guys are funny.

I'm torn over this. Agents of Shield didn't work for me. The whole Marvel universe at their disposal and then they go and focus on the crap bit.

This Gotham series has potential but it needs to be dark and dirty, like the Arkham games. If it's just more standard Americrap TV, full of beautiful people, and shit like that, then I'm out. I honestly can't see how having a kid Batman will do anything for the Mythos. Especially if it leads to kid Penguin and kid Joker etc. *shudder*

I know Gotham has always been one of the stars of the Batman franchise, but taking the Bat out of Batman seems a dodgy move.

That said, I know you'd all go mental for this picture, even if it excluded a certain lead character...

JamesC

Quote from: TordelBack on 12 March, 2014, 01:40:56 PM
Heh!

Apt mockery aside, many of the best bits of Year One are young Gordon's struggles to do his job in a corrupt Gotham PD, so it could well work on that level.

You're quite right but I think at least part of the pleasure is knowing something Gordon doesn't - that Batman's about to show up and shake things up. The story doesn't make you wait too long for the payoff either.
I'm not sure how well it will work on TV without the payoff of ever having Batman turn up.

jackstarr

Quotetaking the Bat out of Batman seems a dodgy move.
Both "Gotham Central" and "Gotham Nights" did this perfectly well.
My problem is the likely target audience.

Recrewt

I am having difficulty understanding what they are going for here.  OK, its Gordon's story before Batman but are we going to get him investigating crimes like in Law and Order?  I suppose that could work with 'real' crimes that on occassion can tie in with characters like the Penguin.  Behind all this they can also show the city becoming more corrupt and criminal. 

But if that's not the angle, then what are we going to see each week?

Teivion

Well, you'll see the brilliant Sean Pertwee play a Young Arthur.
Thats got to be worth a look....

Spaceghost

Quote from: Teivion on 12 March, 2014, 03:24:06 PM
Well, you'll see the brilliant Sean Pertwee play a Young Arthur.
Thats got to be worth a look....

Arthur? Is it a Dark Knights of the Round Table mash-up?
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Teivion

I was hoping for a son of Worzel Gummage joke, but close enough ;-)

strontium71

Maybe - if it isn't prematurely axed - each season will jump forward a set amount of years , until eventually you'll see the gradual transformation into Batman , and Commissioner respectively.
...because I hate you.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Recrewt on 12 March, 2014, 02:34:52 PM
I am having difficulty understanding what they are going for here.  OK, its Gordon's story before Batman but are we going to get him investigating crimes like in Law and Order?  I suppose that could work with 'real' crimes that on occassion can tie in with characters like the Penguin.  Behind all this they can also show the city becoming more corrupt and criminal. 

But if that's not the angle, then what are we going to see each week?

We'll get what they give us - a genre mash-up like Smallville or Cop Rock most likely, though I imagine they'll work hard to play it like a police procedural in the early PR days as procedurals are a safe ratings bet, and they won't promote any genre elements too much in case it scares off normal viewers.
Basically, we'll get something like Bones or Castle (which has had murders committed with phasers and by time-travelers), only not intentionally amusing or light-hearted.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Ghastly McNasty on 12 March, 2014, 02:03:05 PM

That said, I know you'd all go mental for this picture, even if it excluded a certain lead character...

If you look closely you can see a Judges helmet.

Professor Bear

Please God, let Gotham be half as amazing a genre mash-up as this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWwNTSj2Cy0

Frank

Quote from: dancornwell on 12 March, 2014, 09:19:38 AM
Lots of good looking teenage girls and boys with their teenage problems. Love triangles and all that bullshit.

I can't be the only person who's watched Hollyoaks or One Tree Hill and thought everything would be more interesting if the characters could shoot death rays from their vacant eyes. Time/Warner might have missed the boat there, though - the teen TV market is all scripted reality, like Jersey Shore, these days. What they should do is put the real Batman and Bane in scenarios devised by the production staff, and then let them improvise their own dialogue.

I like Pro Bear's suggestion that Gotham might be like Cop Rock - imagine Gordon's squad of detectives and Tom Wilkinson's mobsters circling each other, clicking their fingers, singing about how great it is to be a cop/hood, and pulling ballet moves instead of actually fighting.

Dandontdare

I imagine it will feature the long term (and ultimately unsolvable) murder of Thomas & Martha Lane, with loads of prescient encounters with their grim orphaned son, plus some standard corruption procedural stuff tacked on.

Recrewt

I was thinking about this a bit more last night and I suppose they could also go down the boardwalk empire type route - following the corruption and crime in the city and showing Gordon trying to counter it but ultimately failing.  Would be nice to have the Penguin in the Steve Buscemi type role.