Main Menu

GOTHAM.

Started by strontium71, 12 February, 2014, 08:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 12 January, 2017, 09:23:35 AM
Quote from: sheridan on 12 January, 2017, 01:18:30 AM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 February, 2016, 01:42:33 PM
As the title suggests it's the story of Gotham, not Batman - Would you object to a series about the rise of Mega City One and how Fargo founded Justice Dept , even though Joe was still in a test tube or the academy?

I wonder if the executive producer could be convinced to create a Dredd-based production?

This, this now!

(I'm being facetious - as Gordon pointed out - Gotham's executive producer is the same person who directed the Judge Dredd film we try not to talk about too often...

I do think that there could be some mileage in a Sector House series with only minimal appearances by Dredd though.  Just not from Dan-E Cannon.

The Legendary Shark

I didn't want to watch this because, well, what's Gotham City without the Batman? But a friend gave me Season One and I'm half-way through it and enjoying virtually every scene. It's kind of like The Sopranos meets Jerry Springer and I'm loving the Penguin - you can't help but admire how the oily little git keeps on getting himself out of trouble. He's like the Mr Bean of organised crime. I like the other characters as well and Sean Pertwee is, as always, well worth watching - he really should have a couple of seasons as Dr Who - in fact, I'd gladly watch a series called Pennyworth if he was the star. (Well, maybe not gladly - at least not until a friend lent me the DVD...)
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Dandontdare

Season two's pretty good too, but it rapidly descends into "how many future villains can we cram into each episode"
If this was the real backstory then every single Batman comic for decades after would involve the line "oh no, not you again "

Penguin is excellent though, and dr who jr makes a great Alfred

auxlen

Really enjoying season 3! chaos and lost of riddler/penguin goodness. Ivy and selina are great etc
on the downside...Jim Gordon is starting to grate with his husky tough guy voice.
Bullock is still fun
and Chiklis is hamming it up beautifully

auxlen

ooops didnt see the new season 3 thread.

Mardroid

Quote from: auxlen on 10 September, 2017, 05:31:25 PM
Jim Gordon is starting to grate with his husky tough guy voice.

It's not just me, then?

I'm enjoying it too, though, although I thought the thing they did with Ivy was a bit dodgy. [spoiler]I know she's a sexy character in the comics, but there's no reason to fast forward and explore that side of her yet. [/spoiler]

Proudhuff

Heavens to Betsy! I thought it was 13 episodes... dear god will it never end!
DDT did a job on me

Professor Bear

It did feel like this season dragged a bit, but I put that down to a disjoint between the first and second halves.  Always nice to see someone's face get punched off their head, though.

Quote from: Mardroid on 11 September, 2017, 03:27:41 PMI'm enjoying it too, though, although I thought the thing they did with Ivy was a bit dodgy. [spoiler]I know she's a sexy character in the comics, but there's no reason to fast forward and explore that side of her yet. [/spoiler]

[spoiler]They actually nicked this from The Batman cartoon show, where Ivy's background before she gets dunked in ho juice is that she's a 15 year old hacktivist.  Gotham at least aged the character upwards.[/spoiler]

Mardroid

[spoiler]In the end my worry concerning the sexualisation of Ivy's character was not realised as much as I initially feared. Aside from her initial foray into sexy low-cut dresses they actually didn't exploit Ivy's appearance in that way that much, and she remained kind of innocent in a crazy kooky kind of way.

That does raise the question though: couldn't they have done that with the original actress? Then again the original character was a frightened mouse, while the new version is much more confident, which is largely due to her change in appearance. I'm sure they could have got around it another way, though: a boost in confidence due to the triggering of her plant control powers, for example which has yet to happen.

I don't mean this to dis the new actress. She was fine in the role.[/spoiler]

Professor Bear

Quote from: Mardroid on 21 September, 2017, 12:04:17 PM
[spoiler]That does raise the question though: couldn't they have done that with the original actress?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]She's 12 or something, and portrayals of noncery might have landed Gotham with a higher age rating than its timeslot would allow.  Americans are pretty easy-going about violence, but less so about sex.[/spoiler]

For me, the problem with the character is that TAS and The Batman - children's cartoons - had really good takes on the character's backstory before she became a sassy ninja villain type, but Gotham's take is just dull.  As with other characters, it feels like there's no plan and they're just putting her in there for the sake of a name-check.

JamesC

Ivy is one of the absolute worst Batman characters whatever way you look at it. The only reason she gets so much mileage is that certain artists like drawing pictures of nearly-nude women and certain readers like looking at them. 

Professor Bear

The Batman version of Ivy is actually pretty interesting before she becomes the usual screeching supervillain: an underage hacktivist who catfishes older men into committing acts of terrorism.
Again: this was in a kids' cartoon.

auxlen

Anyone watching season 4?

I enjoy this a great deal...i really wanted to like the dour/sour/ultra gritty(?) Netflix Luke Cage, JJones, DDevil et al but was just bored and rarely finished a season. this is all good campy fun with a dash of the old ultra-violence...

JayzusB.Christ

Necroposting here, I'm afraid, but I've only just got round to watching Season 2.  Nearing the end now and struggling a bit; it's got very sci-fi very fast and I think I preferred the cop procedural stuff.

Some amazing actors though.  I still think this Penguin is the only interesting screen version, and that Jerome lad [spoiler]is one of the best Jokers there ever wasn't.[/spoiler] 

And finally I'm sold on a cockney, tough Alfred - Sean Pertwee plays him to perfection. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"