Main Menu

Inside No. 9 (BBC2)

Started by Goaty, 12 February, 2014, 09:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mardroid on 15 March, 2017, 05:12:42 PM
I read a review afterwards, and I'm ashamed to say [spoiler] I missed all the pairings in the house. Then again, I wasn't really looking for them.[/spoiler]

the announcer said something like "watch this one very closely" but I still didn't notice that - It was a very sad ending and it was left ambiguous as to [spoiler]whether he'd killed the daughter - we're certainly supposed to think so with the blood and the "they should be together" line, but it then turns out to be the old uni mate - but is it just him?[/spoiler]

Getting so much backstory, character and narrative - not to mention laughs, horror and  a twist ending - into a 30 minute one off is incredibly hard, and these guys manage it with consistency. Terrific stuff

Mattofthespurs

Absolutely brilliant, dark and more than a little sad.
I didn't notice [spoiler]the pairings of the things either but I rarely do on a first watching.[/spoiler]
I'll watch this one again tonight.
We sat down, as a family, including my nearly 13 year old Son and watched The Riddle of the Sphinx, Empty Orchestra and the latest episode and he loved them all.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Satanist on 09 March, 2017, 01:46:49 PM
Didn't he also say that he was bored with his life and wanted an adventure?

Why did no one die this week? Not really that bothered as I love this show.

Yes that's what I thought. It's only a throwaway line but they don't waste a word in these scripts.

Only seen the two so far; Bill and Riddle. Both excellent. Can't believe I've missed out on this so far (probably because I'm the only person in the solar system who doesn't find League of Gentlemen funny so didn't think I'd like it)
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Eamonn Clarke

Fragments.
Their own version of Theatre of Blood.
Splendid stuff

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 21 March, 2017, 10:14:54 PM

Yes that's what I thought. It's only a throwaway line but they don't waste a word in these scripts.

Only seen the two so far; Bill and Riddle. Both excellent. Can't believe I've missed out on this so far (probably because I'm the only person in the solar system who doesn't find League of Gentlemen funny so didn't think I'd like it)
I can confirm that there are at least two of us.

So, is this worth a watch then?
We never really die.

Steve Green

Well I like it.

It's a different format each week, rather than the loosely connected sketches of the League of Gentlemen.

Cheers

Steve

Dandontdare

Really enjoyed last night's episode - although I completely mis-guessed the outcome - twice: [spoiler]the killer often turns out to be one of the early 'victims' who isn't really dead, so I was convinced it was the waitress as she was the only one we didn't see die and nobody touched the body. Once we did see who it was, I thought she would turn out to be the artist in drag who'd faked his own death. So ... 0 for 2 there  ::)[/spoiler]

CrazyFoxMachine

"Diddle Diddle Dumpling"

Mesmerizing. Loved the characters [spoiler]slow descent into shoe madness[/spoiler] and the achingly unanswered [spoiler]final question and subsequent revelation he'd planted the shoe himself.[/spoiler] Really sparse, really chilling. Them at their tense best.

"Private View"

Nicht so gut. A [spoiler]broader slasher featuring an unlikable cavalcade linearly picked off and finishing with a fairly undercooked twist. So ... OK heart-boy just takes credit for the artwork and the murders are never discovered. Sure.[/spoiler] Solid casting all round though - I adore Morgana Robinson.

Overall - another strong series from Inside No.9, a pleasing variety of styles - some excellent guest performances and if anything it seems to be gaining momentum with time rather than losing it. Still suffers from what the very first series does though which is the sometimes need to twist even if the logic doesn't quite follow. Often the ride is far better than the eventual destination, but it's always worth watching. Highlights for me are the unexpectedly joyous Empty Orchestra and the brilliantly clever Devil of Christmas.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 22 March, 2017, 08:10:47 PM
Highlights for me are the unexpectedly joyous Empty Orchestra and the brilliantly clever Devil of Christmas.

Same here.
My 2 favourites of this series.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: I, Cosh on 22 March, 2017, 02:29:07 PM

I, too, have chosen to ignore this on the basis that the League of Gentlemen was no way near as clever and funny as it thought it was.
Lock up your spoons!

Goaty

Well League of Gentlemen is not that funny, just very dark, well there was some moments I got chuckle. but very brilliant to follow, and yes it is worth to watch and this series too!

Tiplodocus

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 March, 2017, 07:35:57 AM

I, too, have chosen to ignore this on the basis that the League of Gentlemen was no way near as clever and funny as it thought it was.

There's a CALHAB based pattern emerging here. Maybe we should all agree to watch INSIDE NO. 9 and then not bother turning up. ;o)

Yes, worth a watch I reckon.  As it's on iPlayer and standalone episodes, start with DIDDLE DIDDLE DUM. If you don't like that, don't bother with the rest I guess. At half an horur, it's not a big investment of time.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

sheldipez

I am a massive fan of League of Gentlemen and their follow up Psychoville. Both are my kind of dark humour.

I thoroughly enjoyed 1st series of Inside Number 9 but thought the second series was all a bit average,  however series 3 has been back to form. I think it's been possibly the best season. "Empty Orchestra" "The Bill" and "The Devil of Christmas" are easily in my top five episodes of the show; the others being "Sardines" and "A Quiet Night In" from the first series.

According to Shearsmith's tweets they're half way through filming Series 4 - so glad that the BBC hasn't axed it like they usually do with my favorite beeb shows.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: sheldipez on 23 March, 2017, 03:23:39 PM
but thought the second series was all a bit average

Really? 12 days of Christine, and Cold Comfort plus La Couchette are some of the best episodes of the series!

Although I think series 3 has topped them all (bar the 12 days of Christine, which for me, is the highlight of the series overall

Mardroid

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 23 March, 2017, 07:35:57 AM

I can understand you disliking League... While I largely liked it (I'm not keen on all the first series, but I think it improved) I can see how it would be very very much a matter of taste. (Okay, I guess most things are, but League... is goes to a very silly and extreme place which can be particularly polarising.

Inside No. 9, while also being a black comedy, in many ways, is not as extreme. Some of the episodes are even quite gentle, although many do go to a very dark place.

In short, I shouldn't let The League of Gentlemen put you off. Or Psychoville* for that matter. Even if you don't like all the episodes, as an anthology series, you'll likely find something to like, much like our beloved comic.

*Although I really lied that too, but it's different enough.