Main Menu

Upcoming Gigs

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Surely now there needs to be a thread for upcoming gigs - !

Might not be relevant areawise for everyone but it might perk yer ears up to bands that are touring  -

Here are mine - all Bristol stuff:

April 26th: Turbowolf

Incredibly catchy n' heavy trend-riders (who are also locals!!) playing this weekend at the legendary Fleece. Promising to be QUITE MENTAL and will break my dry gig streak quite brilliantly I reckonnn

May 1st: Noise Annoys

Inaugral night of new noise-rock-based night in Bristol wot I designed the poster for. Featuring 'Langur, Nascar & Fires' - all sounds gloriously heavyhipsterlicious and for £4 is wallet-tacular.

May 2nd: Temples Festival

Likely can't afford this but a new heavy heavy festival in Brizzle with lovely bands like Electric Wizard, Neurosis, Clutch, Blood Ceremony, Conan, Gonga et etc

May 7th: BADBADNOTGOOD

Hideously young 'instrumental hip-hop' (i.e. = jazz) group who are known as the backing band for the slightly dicky Tyler the Creator. Amazing trio doing something that's quite interesting. Saw them at Glasto last year and found it to be most good.

May 8th: Bo Ningen

Awesome noisy psych Japanese group who get lost in forests of fuzz. First saw them freaking out supporting my favourite recent(ish) group Chrome Hoof - love them to pieces.

May 16th: Jeff Beck

Definitely won't be able to afford this but it'll likely be an amazing show - I never have seen the guitar god live but I love him to pieces. Also this is the day before my birthday. Maybe Geoffery has a Jeff-Beck-ticket shaped surprise for me? Unlikely though as they're quite a lot! :S

May 22nd: Electric Eel Shock

Cult noisy metallic punk hard rock trio whose pronunciation is as loose as their energetic performances. Tickets for this are only £8 so this seems more in my range! :D

May 28th: Swans

I'm a newbie to Swans but I was hugely taken with their ridiculously diverse recent album The Seer - anything that noisy n' bewildering is right up my alley. Live they look hugely intense also - so again - probably not within the O-price bracket but likely an unforgettable experience.

June 1st: 'Til Death Doom Us Part

Worth attending for the pun alone - a death/doom all-dayer in Stokes Croft. I'm very fond of the ol' Doom and me mates Baron Greenback (a very good stonery doom group) are playing so.... could be doable!

June 25th-29th: Glastonbury Festival

Always do this as I used to be a local and I love it to pieces. Line-up varies but Wilko Johnson, Seun Kuti's Egypt 80, Jack White, Robert Plant, The Sun Ra Arkestra, Rodrigo y Gebriela leap out at me from their first poster but there are likely to be some gems in there (especially on the mysterious small stages) it's not all NMEsters and pop acts ;) My blog of last year shows what manner of good variety you can root out of this most enormous of modern festivals.

July 30th: Easy Star All Stars

Not usually a fan of the ol' dub but the group's inventive interpretations of Floyd, The Beatles etc make them an interesting live act. I had a few particularly transcendent encounters with them at Glasto a few years back - and I've been meaning to see them again.

August 26th: Karma to Burn

The first stoner band I ever saw live way back when - I've got a lot of love for the largely-instrumental riffy trio - and they are phenomenally engaging live. Fully intend to see this.

October 24th: GONG

Eccentric is an overused word really but that is the only way you can describe psychedelic psychotic 70s space pixies and radio gnome-chasers Gong. Saw them in Bristol last year at an empty-and-therefore-slightly staid 02 academy but at the smaller Fleece I expect a bit more liveliness. If not a crusty or two having an acid flashback. MARVELLOUS.

October 26th: John Mayall

The 80-year-old king of British Blues is rolling around at the end of the year and I've been dying to see him in his live element for aaaagges. If the above video is anything to go by he can still kick it out a little- it'll be well worth seeing I reckon.

So that's it for now - whaddya you got?

w...wait, where did my evening go.

I, Cosh

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Awesome noisy psych Japanese group who get lost in forests of fuzz. First saw them freaking out supporting my favourite recent(ish) group Chrome Hoof - love them to pieces.
I've failed to see Bo Ningen on a couple of occasions and what's this I see? I'm in Glasgow next week and they're playing there the week after!

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PMMay 28th: Swans

I'm a newbie to Swans but I was hugely taken with their ridiculously diverse recent album The Seer - anything that noisy n' bewildering is right up my alley. Live they look hugely intense also - so again - probably not within the O-price bracket but likely an unforgettable experience.
I've been to the last couple of Swans tours and it's an exhilirating proposition. It's not just played louder, they really are setting out to create something which uses the acoustic properties and physical pressure of intense volume as an intrinsic part of the music. Sounds wanky; feels amazing.

Nothing much coming up for me at the moment although maybe going to this festival in Lyon next month: Nuit Sonores. Fuck Buttons, Shed, Wooden Shjips and Kraftwerk would be the highlights.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Christ this is making me feel old! I remember when I'd have had a list as long as CFM's but I've not been to a gig yet this year and only went to about three (I think) last.

I did try to pull off getting to End of the Road this year, with Flaming Lips, Sweet Baboo, Yo La Tango, Steve Malkmaus (and at one stage we thought Deerhoof and Jeffrey Lewis but that was misinformation) playing I'd have been in hog heaven... alas other commitments intervened... and so it goes.

TordelBack

Think that's bad?  I genuinely can't remember what the last gig I was at was, but I think it may have been The Pogues, which is more than a few years ago now.  Certainly nothing since my youngest was born.  Bloody hell.

James Stacey

Quote from: The Cosh on 24 April, 2014, 08:46:22 AM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 23 April, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

I've failed to see Bo Ningen on a couple of occasions and what's this I see? I'm in Glasgow next week and they're playing there the week after!
I saw Bo Ningen supporting the Cult last year. Simply crazy band

Third Estate Ned

I'm off to see an all dayer headed by Iron Maiden this June. The main draw was my faves Opeth, who are relegated to third position before a band I've never heard of called Alter Bridge.

I know next to nothing about the Irons' music bar the songs most people know but I guess these are the ones they'll play since they're the most popular. I hoping they'll have the stageshow and enormous Eddie puppet they had in their heyday.

Does anyone here have the recent first hand experience to tell me whether Bruce Dickinson has still got the vocal dexterity he once possessed?

Greg M.

Quote from: Third Estate Ned on 29 April, 2014, 08:56:11 AM
Does anyone here have the recent first hand experience to tell me whether Bruce Dickinson has still got the vocal dexterity he once possessed?

Last saw 'em live about three years ago, so I don't suppose it's that recent, but Bruce's voice was as good as its ever been - a little deeper, inevitably, but I'd say he's actually a better singer now than he was in the 80s (and I loved him in the 80s.)

Spaceghost

I've only got tickets for two upcoming gigs, both in Leeds, but I'm really looking forward to both.

White Denim - One of the best new bands of recent years touring their latest album Corsicana Lemonade. Slurp! Now for lovely musicianship!

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - BLUES EXPLOSION! BLUES EXPLOSION! BLUES EXPLOSION! YYEEEEEAAAH! THAHNYUVERRMUCH! One of my favourite bands of all time and I've seen them about 7 times over the years. They're probably the best live band I've seen for energy and pure rock and roll.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Albion

On Wednesday I will be seeing the always awesome, Clutch. :-)
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Sideshow Bob

Went to see the absolutely awesome The Stranglers at Manchester Arena a few weeks ago...
Just awesome, extremely loud, very, very tight band , played all the favourites and just amazing !!

If you can catch them next time they are playing locally,  you won't be disappointed !!
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Spaceghost on 29 April, 2014, 10:43:59 AM

Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - BLUES EXPLOSION! BLUES EXPLOSION! BLUES EXPLOSION! YYEEEEEAAAH! THAHNYUVERRMUCH! One of my favourite bands of all time and I've seen them about 7 times over the years. They're probably the best live band I've seen for energy and pure rock and roll.

One of the most terrifying nights of my life was spend trying to get to a JSB Explosion gig. Long story short me and four friends travelling over Snake Pass between Sheffield and Manchester in some hammering rain in a car with no windscreen wipes.

When we eventually got to the venue we reckoned we catch the encore to be told it was finished as they'd started a bit early. WHO THE HELL HAS HEARD OF A ROCK AND ROLL BAND STARTING EARLY!

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Albion on 29 April, 2014, 12:19:16 PM
On Wednesday I will be seeing the always awesome, Clutch. :-)

WOW! Always on my to-see list - they're playing at Temples festival this coming weekend in Brizzle but I can't afford it :'(

Spaceghost

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 April, 2014, 12:34:17 PM

One of the most terrifying nights of my life was spend trying to get to a JSB Explosion gig. Long story short me and four friends travelling over Snake Pass between Sheffield and Manchester in some hammering rain in a car with no windscreen wipes.

When we eventually got to the venue we reckoned we catch the encore to be told it was finished as they'd started a bit early. WHO THE HELL HAS HEARD OF A ROCK AND ROLL BAND STARTING EARLY!

Bad news Colin. I don't want to rub it in but you probably missed a blinder of a gig.

CFM - I LOVE Gong. Love, love, love them. I'm gutted that I missed the recent reunion tour with Steve Hillage. Which line-up will be playing at the gig you're off to?

I met Daevid Allen once and he was lovely. He indulged my fanboy fawning and even drew me a Pot-Head Pixie.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

SuperSurfer

White Denim - One of the best new bands of recent years touring their latest album Corsicana Lemonade. Slurp! Now for lovely musicianship!
Decent band. I went to one of their gigs a couple of years ago.
Would've loved to have seen them play in Sister Ray records back in 2008.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l07h2PnwtCg

Only managed going to one concert last year. None so far in 2014.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Spaceghost on 29 April, 2014, 01:54:02 PM

CFM - I LOVE Gong. Love, love, love them. I'm gutted that I missed the recent reunion tour with Steve Hillage. Which line-up will be playing at the gig you're off to?

Noted about White Denim and Jon Spencer, I've stuck 'em on my listen list - as they both sound interesting!

According to Planet Gong its going to be "Daevid Allen along with Cardiacs guitarist Kavus Torabi, 21st Century asteroid guitar man Fabio Golfetti, virtuoso hornyman Ian East 'wind' on saxoflutes, plus sinuous bassist and sonic manipulator Dave Sturt trading sparks with flamedog drummer Orlando Allen."

About the same line-up I saw them with last time around - but Kavus Torabi is a new one - and an amazing one at that - he used to play with the phenomenal Chrome Hoof who are one of my favourite bands of all time. Also they had the legendary Gilli Smyth as well - but she was looking very frail and had to be helped on and offstage.

Bonus fact: We saw Daevid and Gilli eating in the Hatchet before the show but nerves and the fact that it'd be super rude to interrupt their meal got in the way