Main Menu

Missing 'Daily Star' Dredd episodes - can you help?

Started by Molch-R, 07 May, 2014, 02:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

The droids are currently putting together the first book of 'Daily Star' Judge Dredd strips and have scoured archives across the globe (true story). But some of the strips still remain MIA! Do you have high resolution scans or good quality originals of these strips, Earthlets? If so, Tharg the Mighty would love to hear from you!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152048374466366.1073741828.146588986365&type=1

COMMANDO FORCES

Just shared the album on facebook. If anyone else can share this info across the web, they might be found!

Steve Green

Which strips are missing?

Presumably you've already got everything that was collected in the landscape format soft and hardbacks?

Cheers

Steve

COMMANDO FORCES

A person on facebook has asked if the British Library microfilm is of high enough quality for this mission!

COMMANDO FORCES

Copied and pasted from facebook again

BL catalogue says 'Holdings Notes: Newspapers :no.1- (2 Nov.1978--)
Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 1978-2009 Microform. MFM.MLD3B ' So they might have it.

Molch-R

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 07 May, 2014, 04:41:41 PM
A person on facebook has asked if the British Library microfilm is of high enough quality for this mission!

Robo-Keef has been a regular visitor to the British Library for the past few months - these are the ones they either don't have or are in a bad way.

COMMANDO FORCES

Molch-R

Quote from: Steve Green on 07 May, 2014, 04:35:25 PM
Which strips are missing?

Presumably you've already got everything that was collected in the landscape format soft and hardbacks?

Sorry Steve, missed your comment - the missing ones are all the ones featured in that Facebook gallery. We have low res scans but nothing publishable. These are ones that were not included in the previous collections.

Steve Green

Ah, right cheers - I don't know what's knocking about original art wise, but I'll keep an eye out.

glassstanley

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 07 May, 2014, 04:41:41 PM

The scans on the Facebook page are ones I took from the British Library microfilm. The actual microfilms look like old B&W photo-copies, and have any number of scratches and bits of dirt on them. The viewing & printing machines also add in stray hairs and dust for that genuine 'archive' effect. It's often impossible to have the top and bottom of the strip in focus at the same time.

The British Library printers add their own layer of grot to the proceedings.

What's more interesting is that for 1983, there is 1 copy of the Daily Star missing from the micro-film archives ... and 3 strips 1983 strips to fill that gap!

Fingers crossed someone out there is able to help.

Leigh S

Good to see this hunt spreading across the web

Two thoughts:

The first strip is made up of cut n paste from the first Dredd, so would this not be fairly easy to recreate using the rough Daily Star version and the art from the original strip itself?

Secondly, if some or all of the lo-res strips  can't be sourced, how much effort would be involved in using the lo-res as "pencils" and getting them inked up by a sympathetic artist? 

Of course, this is my catastophizing - hoping the call out gets a good result before these sort of options would need to be considered...

Trout

Leigh might have a point. If it needs to be complete, we may have to settle for something less than perfect.

glassstanley

There are a number of slight differences between the Daily Star Judge Whitey & the one presented in Prog 2 that make re-creating it very difficult. I know from trying to do that with the one that was posted in the other Daily Star thread.

I wonder if there might be some mileage in requesting digital copies of the relevant pages from the British Library. Problem is, the people doing the work would be librarians, rather than experts in digital transfers.

Might even be worth printing off new hard copies blown up to A3 and scanning them in at a higher quality.

Re-lettering would help fool the eye into thinking the strip was better quality than it was.

Oh, and let me be the first to request an afterword by Mr Shepherd, whose knowledge of the Daily STar strips is incredible!

Jim_Campbell

If only there was someone on the board with past form for restoring classic strips from less than optimal scans. IF ONLY SUCH A THING WAS POSSIBLE! :-)

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Trout

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 May, 2014, 11:21:22 PM
If only there was someone on the board with past form for restoring classic strips from less than optimal scans. IF ONLY SUCH A THING WAS POSSIBLE! :-)

Cheers

Jim

Yeah, it's a shame. Oh well. We should just give up.