Main Menu

Meg 350

Started by Richard, 12 July, 2014, 05:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Quote from: Cyber-Matt on 15 July, 2014, 01:37:48 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 15 July, 2014, 06:41:30 AM
Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 14 July, 2014, 11:23:54 PM
Who is the Lady in Red on the cover? She's pretty prominent so it is annoying I cannot recognise her

We decided it was probably Slick Dickens.

No, it's Inga, PJ Maybe's android squeeze.

Fuck-buckets. Or, on the other hand, cheers for the clarification.

Mabs

And so we reach another milestone as the Meg hits 350, and to cap it off we have an eye grabbing cover by the legandary Brian Bolland. I was sharing the cover with my boy and he was definitely intrigued when I told him who was who (he knew who Judge Dredd was naturally!). I have no doubt that this is another iconic additon to Bolland's famous works, and the A3 poster was very welcome indeed, showing the piece in all it's undisturbed splendour.

First off we have a new Judge Dredd story: Dead Zone (Part 1) by John Wagner and Henry Flint. Special things always tend to happen when those two names come together, and this was definitely the case here in this terrific opener. We have Dredd investigating the death of Mr. McPhee, an accountant at the Chaos Memorial Comittee. Dredd is not too keen on the whole memorial venture, which is basically another money making gimmick. But the city needs the income that it generates because of the financial repercussions of the Chaos Bug disaster. We also follow two cursed earth residents as they seek to make a better life for themselves in the big Meg, but they are set upon by a ruthless group of scum drudgery.  This is the thing I love about Wagner's writing, when he highlights the plight of normal citizens trying to get on with their lives, but have all these hard obstacles thust before them. The last page is very disturbing as it shows the depths that human kind will plunge to for greed. Henry Flint's artwork is simply outstanding, I love the colour work and the details in each of the panels from the Chaos Memorial itself to the bleak, cluttered places surrounding it, and of couse the residents who inhabit both places.

Next up we have a new strip: Lawless - Welcome to Badrock (Part 1) by Dan Abnett and Phil Winslade. I was pleasantly surprised with this opener, why? Because it was so damn enjoyable! I'm a sucker for westerns and I really loved the set up here. We are on 43 Rega, a planet "on the ass end of nowhere", only notable for the fact that Mega City forces stopped the alien Zhind invasion here. A group of townsfolk await the arrival of Colonial Marshall Lawson. Dan Abnett's introduction to the various characters is done in a really fun manner! Soon after Lawson makes herself at home by going to the local saloon for a drink. Pretty soon trouble is on its way, and then, an encounter with someone who may or may not be insane. Phil Windlade's b&w artwork is simply outstanding. I spent a good amount time just ogling his panels, studying the details and wonderful line work. His street and saloon scenes are especially a treat as it evokes a feeling of being on a set, with a futurustic western taking place. On this evidence I must say I'm already looking forward to the next instalment.

The Man from the Ministry (Part 3) by Gordon Rennie and Kev Hopgod follows next. I haven't been overly wowed by this strip unfortunately. However, this episode was much better, with a strong ending which throws up an element of danger. Kev Hopgood's art is good, but not Night Zero good. There's far less detail to his art, something which I loved on his work on Night Zero and Beyond Zero.

Dredd: Uprise (Part 1) ends the strips. This is the new sequel to Underbelly by Athur Wyatt, but this time with Paul Davidson on art duty in place of Henry Flint. And I feel Davidson has done a pretty good job here. For starters, we have Dredd with a proper movie chin, and Chris Blythe's colour work is excellent. One criticism I had with Davidson's art in his past work was the way he drew the character's lips, it looked a little contorted and well...silly. But there's none of that here, in fact, I love his character design especially the rookie and the senior Judge accompanying her. I also thought the reference to Domhnall Gleeson via 'Gleeson intersection' was a nice touch. The story concerns 'Uprise'; a group that wants to bring power back the people, away from the rich folks who live in isolated comfort higher up in the blocks. It's certainly a strong opener and I can't wait for next part.

Features

There are three Interrogations on show, pick of the bunch has to be the Trevor Hairsine piece by Matt Badham. There's some interesting insight into Hairsine's artistic process and the various projects he has worked on. Kev Hopgood's interrogation was also insightful (again by Matt Badham), and Leah Moore and John Reppion end the features with a look into their husband and wife partnership on comics and other projects, and juggling work with bringing up three kids. We also get some word on their upcoming work in the Prog;  Black Shuck, which I'm really looking forward to.

Floppy

Burke & Hurr by Simon Spurrier & Dean Ormston. I've only started to read this and it's not too bad on early impressions. Dean Ormston's stylised artwork is really enjoyable, bringing a sort of 'Jack the Ripper-esque' East End vibe to it, or the muddy backstreet alleyways we see in Disney's Pinocchio, it's dark and macabre, but with added comedy. It's fascinating to think that a place like this exists somewhere on the Cursed Earth, which is in total contrast to the big Meg.

The Megazine has been on fine form these past few months and so it continues here in this special celebratory issue with a host of new line ups which have grabbed my attention and given my thrill circuits a thorough work over. Top Thrill would have to go to Deadzone, which evokes a feeling of awe (via Flint's artwork) and despair (via Wagner's excellent storytelling) in equal measure.

Meg 351 cannot come soon enough for me.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Si Spencer. Spurrier wasn't even old enough to write to the Nerve Centre when this was publishef.
We never really die.

Mabs

Quote from: The Cosh on 16 July, 2014, 09:36:38 PM
Si Spencer. Spurrier wasn't even old enough to write to the Nerve Centre when this was publishef.
Oh balls, you're right. :-\

Thanks for pointing it mate.  ;)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Point it *out*.

What happened to edit?  :(

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

A very strong Meg this month I thought.

Great opener to the Dredd story. All sorts of different tones juggled masterfully in the script and yet another subtle shift in Flint's art and colours. I could stare at that last panel on page 1 for hours.

A nice introduction to Lawless as well. This seems an interesting way to follow up Insurrection. Unless I've misunderstood and it's set before. Either way, this was a good setup with plenty of questions to be answered if it gets the time.  The looseness of Winslade's lines seems a good fit for the frontier. Not sure what I think of Abnett's in story swearbox justification.it's the inverse of the used to avoid swearing in the first run of Grey Area and then quietly forgotten later.

The Man from Ministry
hasn't grabbed me the way Rennie's other current stuff has. I'll need to give it a reread at some point but, for the moment, I can at least agree that the Lightning is a fabulous looking aircraft.

Movie Dred
We never really die.

Grobbendonk

My first read of the Meg since #25ish I think. Yonks ago anyway!
I'm impressed, great stuff! Really liked all four strips and even read the interrogations. Seems miles away from the early days in tone, but to be honest its been so long I can't really remember.
Well, on this evidence I'll be a regular again!

Spaceghost

Absolutely scorching Megazine this month!

The cover is a beautiful homage by Brian Bolland to his own, earlier famous 2000 AD ensemble. I no longer (am allowed to) put posters on the wall (by the missus), but I spent ages staring at the detail on the A3 blow-up. Lovely. 

Dredd is a gory treat with some excellent Mega City bad taste on display at the Chaos Day memorial. I love it when we get introduced to these hateful, nasty villains and are then left itching with anticipation to see Dredd blowing their brains out.

Based on available evidence, John Wagner certainly seems to love A Texas Chainsaw Massacre, as the hideous family in this story are the latest in a long line of characters seemingly inspired by Leatherface's clan.

Gorgeous art from Henry Flint, as always. Nobody does guts like Henry!

Really loved this opening, very sweary episode of Lawless. Interesting to see Lawson bending the rules to enjoy a drink and lay out a gorilla. Is a Colonial Marshall equivalent to a Judge, or are they not bound by the same strict code?

Phil Winslade's art is easily the best in the Meg and the best I've seen in any comic for a while. The detail, the seeming roughness of the lines, the anatomy, the movement, all of it is perfect. Just look at the panel where Kill-A-Man Jaroo (great name) makes his entrance into the saloon. The detail children, the detail!

Give this man more work, he's a keeper.

Man From the Ministry continues as a love letter from Gordon Rennie to all his favourite vintage science fiction stories. As is often the case with Rennie's work, there are easter egg references and homages to Quatermass, Doctor Who, Dan Dare, and the films of Amicus and Hammer.

The stark black and white art by Kev Hopgood helps to emphasise the creepy retro feel of the story.

Paul Davidson aquits himself beautifully with some dark, atmospheric art in the first episode of Dredd: Uprise. It's nice to see the Mega City One of the film being explored and expanded in this way, and it serves as a bittersweet glimpse at what might have been seen on screen if the film had been better received. If (BIG if) a Dredd TV series ever gets commisioned, Arthur Wyatt should have a hand in the scripts.

Interesting that the concensus from the cits is that most Judges are incompetent and/or corrupt. Very different from how they're perceived in the regular strip.

I'd never read Harke and Burr and found myself enjoying it, despite it reminding me of the endless procession of brown, muddy Bisley-clone art that put me off 2000 AD in the 90's.

Next month is Valkyries.

*shudder*

Haven't read the Interrogations yet, but even without them, this has been the best Meg I can remember for a long time. Long may it continue.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

I, Cosh

Quote from: Spaceghost on 18 July, 2014, 08:49:43 AM
Kill-A-Man Jaroo (great name)
D'oh! One for the "Things that went over your head" thread.
We never really die.

Grobbendonk

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 July, 2014, 08:53:12 AM

Double D'oh! I only just got it!  :-[

Frank

Quote from: The Cosh on 18 July, 2014, 08:53:12 AM

Should have asked Pete Doherty to draw it.

8-Ball

Just finished reading Meg 350 so here's my thoughts...

Cover - Sorry, I know that there's a lot of love going around for Brian Bolland, but this is just not my cup of tea. Too flat and too shiny.

Judge Dredd - Dead Zone (part one) - Like a lot of classic Dredd stories the main man hardly features in this first installment but as it rattles along at a fair old pace it's none the worse for it. My only niggle is that a certain plot thread is a tad reminiscent of Alan Grant's The Pits from Meg 332.

Skulls wasn't enough. Please get Trevor Hairsine back on Dredd. Pretty please.

Lawless - Welcome To Badrock (part one) - An intriguing beginning and exquisite B&W art from Phil Winslade. I think that someone else has already mentioned it but the use of "fuck" is unnecessary and a wee bit jarring. Drokk might be a daft made up curse word from a gentler time when you couldn't swear because it was a kids' comic but it is an intrinsic part of the Dredd universe. Save it for the DREDD movie universe.

The Man From The Ministry (part three) - Speaking of old school this is starting to resemble something that could have ran in the Prog back in the late seventies. I'm quite fond of it as I have no idea exactly where GordonR is taking it.

Glad to see that Kev Hopgood has made some dough from War Machine off of Iron Man. Before 2000 AD I was weaned on Marvel UK's output so I have a soft spot for the man.

Since I don't buy the Prog (don't have the money or the space) I am completely unfamiliar with the work of Leah Moore and John Reppion. I just skimmed this interrogation.

DREDD - Uprise (part one) - No drug dealers! Some hints that there is a bit of class striation and not everybody lives in slums. If there ever was to be a movie sequel it would be cool to see the more affluent areas of Mega-City One. A good start and like I said, no drug dealers! 

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

M.I.K.

Quote from: Skullmo on 13 July, 2014, 06:57:24 PM
Harke and Burr in the floppy - I read this first time around, but this time I have realised that they are supposed to be human and not evil mutants. Does anyone know why in the first story the mummies were bankers? The story made no sense.

Explanation's in the 3rd panel on the 11th page of the story.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: 8-Ball on 19 July, 2014, 08:55:25 PM
...the use of "fuck" is unnecessary and a wee bit jarring. Drokk might be a daft made up curse word from a gentler time when you couldn't swear because it was a kids' comic but it is an intrinsic part of the Dredd universe. Save it for the DREDD movie universe.

With 'Drokk' and the like so well established in Dred's world, I imagine it'd be a bit like hearing someone today exclaim 'Zounds!' or 'Judas Priest!' or 'Odd's Bodkins!'  :lol: So archiac as to be almost nonsense.
@jamesfeistdraws

Banners

Anyone else think the Dredd strips in the Meg and Prog #1890 are very similar, employing similar themes, and narrative devices - or is it just me?