Main Menu

Deadpool - Dirty Laundry.

Started by Goaty, 30 July, 2014, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goaty

radiator

Posh spice? Wow, this film really has its finger on the pulse of pop culture...

And how would a suit be animated? Eh?

Steve Green

It's a reference to the Green Lantern film, in the same way the character breaks the fourth wall in the comic - although I've never read it.

I have no idea how this will perform - Deadpool's a popular character, but the trailer leaves me cold.

Goaty

Well he is Merc with the mouth!  :lol:

dweezil2

I wanted to like that more than I did, but I didn't!  :-\
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Radbacker

well I liked it, this is getting my $ opening day.  I guess some people click with Deadpool humour and some people don't, guess it's what makes the world and interesting place.  Still I've got a pretty weird sense of humour but it's surprisingly broad, about the only style of humour that wont raise a smile from me is pure slapstick Three Stooges style stuff, not my cup of tea.  I am surprised not many here seem to like it (or the comic) I've always found the humour in Pool pretty similar to some of the humour stuff we get in the prog (well maybe not now, maybe more the Big Dave era so I guess I just answered my own question).
I think this'll be great, like that we'll see Blind Al but a shame we wont get any Bob Agent of Hydra :'(

CU Radbacker 

radiator

Quote from: Steve Green on 05 August, 2015, 08:37:58 AM
It's a reference to the Green Lantern film, in the same way the character breaks the fourth wall in the comic - although I've never read it.

Ah. Then wouldn't saying 'cgi' make more sense?

Hawkmumbler

That is animation. It's an animated image.

Goaty

radiator

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 August, 2015, 04:18:41 PM

Well yes, but you wouldn't say 'Jurassic Park has really good animated dinosaurs', or 'there's too much animation in films these days'. It's weird - why wouldn't you just say cgi?

QuoteI have no idea how this will perform

I'm going to say flop. Based on a niche comic book, violent and R rated, catering to the fanboy demographic.... We've seen how this plays out several times in recent years.

Greg M.

Quote from: radiator on 05 August, 2015, 04:50:15 PM
I'm going to say flop.

I don't think it will. Whether it'll be any good, I dunno, but I don't see the film crashing and burning. I'm not a particular fan of the character, but I suspect he is less niche than some might think - only a couple of years ago, Marvel was publishing five different Deadpool titles a month. Obviously that was the company's usual bout of unsustainable over-milking, but Deadpool's recognition factor is surprisingly high, especially with teenagers - the game helped a lot there. I also think the combination of violence and humour will prove rather appealing to a certain audience.

radiator

I don't think it will crash and burn, but I can't see it being a hit either. I guess how well it does will depend on how much they've spent on it.

Deadpool's target audience seems like it's similar to that of Kick-Ass, Scott Pilgrim, The Punisher, Wanted etc, and out of them only Kick-Ass managed to barely scrape a sequel (that subsequently flopped).

Dredd and Watchmen are two other notable R-rated comic book movies, and both are failures to differing degrees.

The exception that proves the rule would be Kingsmen: The Secret Service - a movie I'd argue has far broader appeal than Deadpool.

blackmocco

Quote from: radiator on 05 August, 2015, 04:50:15 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 August, 2015, 04:18:41 PM

Well yes, but you wouldn't say 'Jurassic Park has really good animated dinosaurs', or 'there's too much animation in films these days'. It's weird - why wouldn't you just say cgi?

Well, you could, though. It's just as valid a description. CGI is just an abbreviation that's commonplace now. Most of it still counts as animation.

As for the box office, it'll flop. Hate to say it because I enjoyed it. Studio execs never learn just because something niche goes over well at San Diego, that means jackshit once it's out in the real world. Long list of casualties there...
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

CrazyFoxMachine

What was odd about that trailer is it wasn't that fun - it was more like "crikey isn't he a bad mother-" SHUT YO MOUTH "-fucker. I was going to say motherfucker. I'll say it again. Motherfucker. Swearing is amazing."

What I will say is this:

Made me happy as a clam and I wasn't expecting anything in it to make me feel that particular way.

W. R. Logan

I work on a U.S. Air Force base and there's a huge chunk of the yanks I work with looking forward to Deadpool and not all of them comic book readers.