Main Menu

Prog 1894 - Blue Remembered Kills

Started by JamesC, 09 August, 2014, 12:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 August, 2014, 07:29:54 PM
Prog hasn't turned up today so am not reading the thread, but have to observe that "blue remembered kills" may well be the greatest cover line pun of the last decade.

Cheers

Jim

same and Seconded
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 11 August, 2014, 11:35:14 AM
same and Seconded

As Cosh notes, the Houseman poem from which it derives is incredibly apposite, adding splendid depth to what is an excellent pun in its own right:

Into my heart on air that kills   
  From yon far country blows:   
What are those blue remembered hills,   
  What spires, what farms are those?   

That is the land of lost content,
  I see it shining plain,   
The happy highways where I went   
  And cannot come again.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Cyber-Matt

Why, thank yew. It's probably my most art house cover line since Prog 1743 quoted a line of dialogue from a Lars Von Trier film.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Cyber-Matt on 11 August, 2014, 06:56:38 PM
Why, thank yew. It's probably my most art house cover line since Prog 1743 quoted a line of dialogue from a Lars Von Trier film.
<one quick trip to Barney later> Arf! You sly fox.
We never really die.

Proudhuff

Cover as above

Damage report; Ankle bitters again...  ;)

Dredd: I'm hoping that nice Car-roll Droid has done his space maths  ;), you know how pedantic they are round here, loved the Wallaby reaction

Aquila:
More Cruci-fiction? Shirley those nails should go thro the wrists? or between the radius and ulna?
Still, great fun, wonder who's next?

Brass Sun: Jim's class on flatting shows results!

Aw Shucks: can't help but feel the pace doesn't suit the weekly 5 pages, and we're not much forward from where we were week one.

Jaegir: Top thrill for me, the Tomas/snicker speech was a nice touch/reversal POV. Loving the hardware too.

DDT did a job on me

Trout

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 10 August, 2014, 05:24:12 PM
Highlight of the prog was learning that Kingdom is back in Prog 1900

For me, too.

Also a truly excellent Dredd story, plus double Rennie and isn't he back on form? I liked the whole comic but Jaegir is really strong now.

Frank

Prescribed. Proscribed would mean Molch-R had been forbidden from taking antibiotics.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Cover:  Stak! Cyber-Genetik Infantryman! Get yer 'cover of the year' nominations in fast, folks.

Dredd:  Hmmm.  I sense another of Carroll's 'Mega-City Transfer' stories, which is no bad thing.  Good concept in the Buck Rogers business, and some of the best MC citizen banter in recent memory.  Nice colours too.

Black Shuck:  Nope, this has tried my patience and worse, lost my interest.  The faux-period dialogue continues to make me squirm (flick over to Aquila to see how this stuff can be done, with it's frothy mix of Carry-On-Up-The-Appian and god-harried portentous pronouncement), and the setting-detailing is so heavy-handed as to be annoying: is naming your princelings 'Thought' and 'Memory' after Odin's ravens believable behaviour, even for someone who steals Trollgilt?  I know this is the pair's first Tooth serial, so I'm definitely happy to see them take some time get a grip on the form, and it's certainly not bad (how much of that is due to the atmospheric art is another question), but it's not more than a few episodes away from Dry Run territory for me at the moment...  However, I'll probably be eating my words in a few weeks, as is the norm. 

Aquila: Teensy slump this week compared to previous, as we re-tread the Vestal ground, plus a mildly frustrating tease in showing Peter's fate (Also: I'm sure it doesn't matter where you put the nails in the hands/wrists when its the ankles that are taking the weight - either way, ouch). 

Brass Sun: Definitely back on track, very engaged again, although maybe a bit more backgroubd detail would be useful for this new location.

Jaegir: Great ideas, powerfully delivered.  Best Rogue stuff since Cinnabar, and that includes all of Rennie's own.

Frank

Quote from: Official Hawkeye Pierce Action Figure on 13 August, 2014, 06:35:34 PM
Brass Sun: Definitely back on track, very engaged again, although maybe a bit more backgroubd detail would be useful for this new location

Everything else, from the gorgeous colours * to Culbard's increasingly stylised line work, is so bloody gorgeous though. He's no action artist, but I liked the red blob of the bad guys going splat, and it was such a relief to see stuff actually happening for a change. That one episode with Colonel Sanders and Giorgio Moroder the other week has given the narrative a kick up the arse, even if the first half of this series felt like pulling teeth. Or like reading Black Shuck.

Is Dredd being assigned to personal protection detail for a character who shares a name with an Indian leader [spoiler]who was murdered by her own bodyguards[/spoiler] foreshadowing?

* top marks to Len 'Paul' O'Grady for his work with the felt tips on Jaegir too

ZenArcade

Cover: Tharg for this we are truly blessed.

Dredd: cool premise, anyone up for naming sun like stars between 60 and 80 lightyears away? P's, She's a tough lassie that one.

Aquila: in anyother prog this would be the pick of the litter. It is an engrossing read. To re-ignite the nails argument; they don't look as though they're through the ankles and his body weight looks supported, just doesn't seem right.

Brass Sun: still a damn good read.

Black Shuck: I agree that this is falling back a bit. If Thryll Seeker is looking, that is how I'd envisage Saint's Axe (only bigger).

Jaegir: can't really say more than other posters. This is head and shoulders above anything else in the prog and given the quality on show here, that's saying something.

Another great prog only one semi duff story.....oil Tharg, more oil for the droids . Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 13 August, 2014, 07:23:56 PMTo re-ignite the nails argument; they don't look as though they're through the ankles and his body weight looks supported, just doesn't seem right.

No, it doesn't. But those entrails are less than fresh, a haruspex can only get quality results in line with the materials at hand.

Dark Jimbo

Dredd is a blast of fresh air. Love Indira as a character, there immediately feels like there are loads of interesting avenues opened up by her character. Can't wait to see how this unfolds. And I laughed out loud at the 'wallaby snub'.

Aquila is good this week, rather than great, but the last two pages suggest some really cool occurences next week!

Hmm. Lots of problems this week with Brass Sun. Firstly, the actual procurement of the gaseous clay in was yer archetypal damp squib after so long a build-up. The baddies then display a baffling lack of sense. They take the clay, call whatsiface down from the tree, talk at length and then attempt to kill the heroes. If this was what they intended to do all along (as they themselve confess) why not just gun them all down the minute the clay was on the ground? Why does it matetr if whatsisface was in the tree or on the ground if all they were going to do was shoot him? Honestly, they really only have themselves to blame that the execution went tits up. And then we have some real 'stormtrooper syndrome' - numerous armed soldiers with automatic weapons firing at a single unarmoured woman fail to hit her. And yet she fires back a few shots with a handgun and three guy's heads explode(!) in a shower of gore. Finally, the 'next prog' tagline undercuts the cliffhanger by giving away next week's solution!

Black Shuck continues in steady (if unremarkable) fashion, although like Tord I winced a bit at the names 'Huginn and Muninn.' On a more positive note I continue to be amazed at how much I'm enjoying Steve Yeowell's artwork for once - Blythe's colours are truly superb and such a good fit here.

Jaegir is a class act. Mabuse is a great antagonist in the tradition of Kolonel Kovert and the like (albeit less silly). It was a genuine thrill to glimpse Nort civilians for once - I often wondered what the non-martial aspects of their culture are like and it looks like we may be about to find out in the coming weeks.
@jamesfeistdraws

TordelBack

Just re-read my review post, and have to apologise for the apostrophication.  Ghastly.

ZenArcade

Yeah, it's a disgrace Tordel.... er sorry OHPAF.
I note Jaegir has no wiki entry, some of the more technically capable squax should remedy this glaring oversight (preferably with something factual). Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead