Main Menu

Meg352. Where do you stand on the CalHab question?

Started by Proudhuff, 09 September, 2014, 01:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Quote from: dweezil2 on 18 September, 2014, 12:34:05 AM
Was that a relation of IG-88 in Dredd: Uprising?  :)

Gorgeous art all the same and really enjoying this Dredd movie-verse story.

Hope there's more planned!

I enjoyed the shoulder-pads on the robots in Uprise. Must be their weak spot :)

QuickQuag

I'm not going to pretend to be too cool for all this - I'm looking forward to the CalHab floppy because my late 90s Meg collection is rather... incomplete, and it dun't make much sense to read. So heartfelt thanks to them what done :)

Inevitable supplementary question, though - is this collection the complete series, or selected stories from it?
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

Theblazeuk

I didn't get on with the Calhab stuff at all. All a bit twee and disjointed... shame as I love seeing the wider world of the megs.

Hawkmumbler

I loved the John Ridgway art in ghe first Cal-Hab story but LOL's own take was....somewhat of the time. And story was also pretty much average Dredd fare slapped onto Scottish stereotypes and was quite cringe worthy.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 26 September, 2014, 04:43:41 PM
I loved the John Ridgway art in ghe first Cal-Hab story but LOL's own take was....somewhat of the time. And story was also pretty much average Dredd fare slapped onto Scottish stereotypes and was quite cringe worthy.

The stereotype thing was addressed later on in the story's run — it's actually a rather central plot point, but only the early stories are reprinted here.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Mark Millar described Grant Morrison introducing himself to Cal-Hab Justice scribe Jim Alexander with the words "in some weird parallel universe, I'm a fan of your work". I'd take issue with the idea that it's representative of standard Dredd fare, although it's maybe typical of Megazine Dreddworld strips of that time.

I remember thinking it was weird that they ditched the Dredd in a kilt lead character fairly quickly in favour of a manga-ish story of psychic folk which just happened to be happening in Scotland for no apparent reason. Did they bother explaining what happened to Billy Connoly, or did he just have to return to his home planet?

Greg M.

Quote from: sauchie co-op on 26 September, 2014, 05:03:00 PM
Did they bother explaining what happened to Billy Connoly, or did he just have to return to his home planet?

Didn't he get fused into a gestalt entity along with Brit-Cit Brute and most of the rest of the cast in the final episode?

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: sauchie co-op on 26 September, 2014, 05:03:00 PM
I'd take issue with the idea that it's representative of standard Dredd fare, although it's maybe typical of Megazine Dreddworld strips of that time.

Dredd/ Macbrayne investigating turf war/ economic espionage? Surely two of the most well trod areas of Dredd law?

Frank

Sorry, Hawk - it's the later LOL drawn exploding psychic stuff that forms my lasting impression of the strip, and that felt more like Line Of Duty with supernatural powers (drawn by Bisley's wee brother) than Condo or On The Superslab.

QuickQuag

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 26 September, 2014, 04:46:28 PM
The stereotype thing was addressed later on in the story's run — it's actually a rather central plot point, but only the early stories are reprinted here.

Cheers

Jim

Cheers Jim, indeed! Argh. I think the early stuff is the stuff I have intact already - it's the later stories you allude to (the non-Dunreay LOL and Kevin Cullen strips) I don't have. Damn - I dare say they're less likely to be revisited if other stuff like Armitage also remains incomplete.
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

Mikey

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 15 September, 2014, 09:33:06 PM
I honestly think the Meg is knocking spots off the Prog at the minute. All four strips are brilliant - I can't wait to see a collected Man from the Ministry and the art on Lawless is a joy to behold.
And with Lobster Random as the floppy reprint next month Tharg is really spoiling us!

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my feelings about the Meg. It's been consistently fantastic for a good long while now, but the current strips are just hitting every single button for me. I must say though, that the Dredd is just about head and shoulders above the rest - Flint's work is just so gruddamn lovely on it. Bedrock has also been a big hit for me - it can be hard to do 'another Judge' story well at times if you know what I mean, especially with a female lead because of the standing of Anderson over the years, but this has managed to find a distinctive tone and voice for itself in my opinion.

All good stuff!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

8-Ball

As a proud Calhabber the answer to the question posed on the cover is a wee bit too raw at the mo. So on with the show...

Judge Dredd - Dead Zone (part 3) - Superb stuff. The Wagner/Flint pairing is a match made in heaven. That macguffin is going to take this story in a whole new direction.

New comics #1 - I have a lot of time for Pat Mills but there's only so many times that I can take his "Comics in France are much better than comics in the UK" shtick.

New comics #2 - Dan Abnett/INJ Culbard. Yes, this sort of stuff should be in the Prog. Maybe they should have a word with Tharg.

Lawless - Welcome To Badrock (part 3) - Another superb installment let down by the fan service. For the sake of balance when will we ever see Dredd with his "daystick" swinging in the breeze?

The Man From The Ministry (part 5) - Some more backstory and we are finally out into space. Neato.

Interrogation #1 - John Layman. Not my thing.

Interrogation #2 - Eddie Robson. Not familiar with his work but it was an interesting read.

Dredd - Uprise (part 3) - More twists and turns from Wyatt/Davidson. I am really liking where this is heading now that the robot auxiliaries have arrived on the scene. Mechanismo this isn't. Also, my suspicion regarding a particular Judge is confirmed.

Calhab Justice floppy - I won't be bothering with this, ta very much.

Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

mimikeke

Quote from: 8-Ball on 09 October, 2014, 08:56:25 PM
Lawless - Welcome To Badrock (part 3) - Another superb installment let down by the fan service. For the sake of balance when will we ever see Dredd with his "daystick" swinging in the breeze?

I was thinking while I was reading this that it would be incredibly hard for either sex to get into leathers while having just jumped out of the bath.  :lol:

James Stacey

8-Ball

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 October, 2014, 11:52:34 AM

Touché.  :lol:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.