Main Menu

How would you do "Dredd 2"?

Started by ChickenStu, 15 September, 2014, 10:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Yeah, I'm of the same school of thought which says leave it up to Garland, Urban with Wagner's input.
Just build on the sterling work from the first film.
I'm up for anything the creative team can dream up!   :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

TordelBack

Quote from: NapalmKev on 15 September, 2014, 02:53:53 PM
If there is a Dredd 2, I think they should blow all of the budget in the first 10 minutes on a mass Fattie stampede!

Couldn't cost that much - I imagine most boarders would work for free?

Steve Green

It's more the whole 'running' thing...

Link Prime

The budget for hilariously non-Judge physique Jimps would likely be next to nothing too.

radiator

QuoteSuddenly her eyes open, the camera zooms right into her iris where we see the face of Judge Death who laughs then screams "I AM HERE!!"
Fade to black. Film ends. Then we have the Dark Judges story set up for the third.

This kind of cheesy sequel-baiting is exactly the kind of thing I would not want from a sequel. It's like the ending of Godzilla '98.

One of the main reasons people loved Dredd was that is was perfectly self-contained and served as an antidote to the kind of bloated comic book movies that spend more time presumptuously setting up a franchise than telling a decent story. We want a sequel not because it was teased but because the first one left us wanting more.

ZenArcade

I like what radiator and boo have to say. The first film was a claustrophobic vision of a day in the life of one city block....sorry mega block; just widen it out a bit and give us more of the meatgrinder that is the big meg. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

I think ChickenStu's outline is a lot of fun (and maybe a direction for the movie-world comics?) - but I'm afraid I agree with the later posters: expand the sequel beyond Peach Trees into the wider MC-1 (and maybe the Cursed Earth), but keep the same 'everyday grind' tone.  And I speak as one who was originally very much against the stripped-back near-future look and theme of what we should all call 'the first film', preferring fatties and robots and muties and blobs and batgliders to a straight drug-themed shoot-em-up: but by heck did it work. 

Recrewt

I liked the Dredd movie but I think I would be disappointed if it was a similar 'small-scale' affair.  Origins movies are becoming a bit corny but it could work well in this scenario - Dredd has never been too popular in the US as they just see him as a fascist oppressor so the movie could cover the breakup of the old world order and the 'necessary evil' of the judges.  It's never going to be able to convey all the subtleties of decades of work but might get the some of the audience appreciating there is more to the character.

I would also love to see Judge Death in the movie and I'm sure when we have discussed this in the past someone suggested Death be a mutant who comes out of the cursed earth and skip over some of the character elements that would be more of a difficult fit in the movie world - I think that could work well.

radiator

QuoteI would also love to see Judge Death in the movie and I'm sure when we have discussed this in the past someone suggested Death be a mutant who comes out of the cursed earth and skip over some of the character elements that would be more of a difficult fit in the movie world - I think that could work well.

I have suggested a couple of times that one way of going about adapting Judge Death would be to blend the storylines of both The Day the Law Died and Judge Death/Judge Death Lives - with an 'insane Chief Judge'/'Hall of Justice coup' plot - perhaps with a supernatural element, perhaps reimagine the character as a twisted counterpart to Anderson.

I could be going crazy and misremembering/fantasising here - it was a couple(!) of years ago now - but ISTR Alex Garland suggesting that he was thinking of something along similar lines when it came to tackling Judge Death.

Beadle68

Guys just let garland and co do there thing as the first movie was a belter , reckon alex and co has something quite special for Dredd up his sleeve.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: radiator on 15 September, 2014, 06:34:56 PM
I have suggested a couple of times that one way of going about adapting Judge Death would be to blend the storylines of both The Day the Law Died and Judge Death/Judge Death Lives - with an 'insane Chief Judge'/'Hall of Justice coup' plot

IDW beat them to it.

Bat King

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 September, 2014, 07:57:02 PM
Quote from: radiator on 15 September, 2014, 06:34:56 PM
I have suggested a couple of times that one way of going about adapting Judge Death would be to blend the storylines of both The Day the Law Died and Judge Death/Judge Death Lives - with an 'insane Chief Judge'/'Hall of Justice coup' plot

IDW beat them to it.

In Spades.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

ChickenStu

Quote from: radiator on 15 September, 2014, 04:48:12 PMThis kind of cheesy sequel-baiting is exactly the kind of thing I would not want from a sequel. It's like the ending of Godzilla '98.

Yeah, I see how you can think that BUT - it's not JUST a sequel bait, it also serves another purpose. It's also a way of showing the audience a bit of Judge Death IN CASE there ISN'T a third one, as well as setting up a story for a possible third one.

I also wouldn't approach it like Godzilla... I'd expect it to be more akin to the endings of The Empire Strikes Back, X-Men 2, Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan that kind of thing... more like X-Men 2 than any other. That perfectly set up the Dark Phoenix storyline for the third movie...

I wouldn't make it cheesy. It would be scary as fuck.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Skullmo

Chicken Stu - I love your enthusiasm!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Tiplodocus

I'd do it so that it actually made money.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!