Main Menu

Where can I find Dredds first comic appearance online?

Started by ABCwarBOT, 14 October, 2014, 01:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ABCwarBOT

I've been trying to find his first appearance in issue 2 from the 70s but can't find the whole strip.   Anyone help?

ABCwarBOT

TordelBack

Just had to follow that link for an early-morning re-read.  It's still an utterly brilliant opener, a whole world in 5 pages.  I sometimes miss that self-satisfied vaguely preening younger Dredd.

Spaceghost

I love how Whitey's gang are utterly surprised to find that Dredd isn't on his bike when they go to ambush him ("HUUH? IT'S A JUDGE'S BIKE - BUT - BUT HE AIN'T ON IT!"), despite the fact that they set Alvin's bike to automatic to send his body back to 'Justice HQ'.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Mabs

Did this appear in Case Files 1? I'm going to have a look......oh arse, it's nestling beneath a big pile of books.  >:(

Notice how it says New York, and not Mega City 1? obviously the world of Dredd was just getting moulded so it's understandable. Mick Mcmahon's art still looks amazing.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Muscleman on 15 October, 2014, 09:14:21 AM
Notice how it says New York, and not Mega City 1? obviously the world of Dredd was just getting moulded so it's understandable. Mick Mcmahon's art still looks amazing.

It was altered to New York - Part of the vast Mega-City One in prog#3.

LARF

Love that cork board at the end that has all the badges on.

amines2058

I also liked the reference to 'Star-Scrapers' as well rather than the blocks we know. Suprisingly though how much did not change e.g the actual vision of MC1. the principle of the Judges and the Chief Judge (Grand judge).

Mabs

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 October, 2014, 09:35:00 AM

It was altered to New York - Part of the vast Mega-City One in prog#3.

That's interesting! Cheers.

Also some the earlier 'Megspeak' was different, I think 'Drokk' had one K, and so on. It's just fascinating to see how the world of Judge Dredd has changed, and is still doing so.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Fontwell Magma

Wow - I am ashamed to say I've never actually read Dredd's first strip. Look how skinny he is!!

I'm probably going to get shot down here but I do feel like the old strips have suffered the test of time quite poorly - so much exposition from the narration and characters - "I'm going to shoot you now" sort of stuff that I assume is there because the reader isn't trusted to know what is going on just from looking at the art. It's really irritating to read and because I didn't read it first time round, there isn't that sense of nostalgia for me - I'm guessing it was incredible at the time. All of the older 'free' floppies from the Meg have the same exposition issues - Savage, Night Zero etc. It makes me wonder how stuff like Watchmen got it so right in 1986 (admittedly 9 years after 2000AD #1) when most other strips were still doing this. I've been meaning to check out Zenith after the hype on here but does this read the same?

Obviously this is where it all started and the concepts are all there, but I'm glad Dredd has developed into the amazing strip it is today!

Fungus

I think it's part of the charm of the initial progs that they feel of another age. Not quite catching the prog at the beginning myself, it's odd to wonder what I'd have made of Flesh, etc. You flatter yourself that you'd have felt the same, under different circumstances.

And as is often stated here, newbies are usually directed to Case Files 5, not 1. For good reasons.

Fungus

oh arse, it's nestling beneath a big pile of books.  >:(

Too heavy to lift, 'muscleman' ?  :)